Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Cory Schneider (7 years, $6m per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory's stickhandling actually improved a lot. It wasn't as good as Marty's is even to this day, but it improved quite a bit from the beginning of the season.

It was much better than Hedberg's ever was. I only remember two goals happening due to Cory's stickhandling this season. First one happened a couple weeks into the season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory has the eye test and all the stats to back him up. He had basically the same exact season as Quick did stats wise.

The thing that pisses me off is a few people actually think Cory piled up those losses because he couldn't stop enough pucks. We were shutout in 7 games Cory played, including a couple 1-0 losses.

Do people remember how many games this guy had to win 2-1? About half of wins were 2-1 or 1-0. He had ONE win last year in which he gave up more than 2 goals. I would say he was the best player in most of his wins and our best player in quite a few of his losses as well. I don't see how his goaltending was the reason for many of his losses. Maybe if you wanna blame him for some of those horrific shootouts where he looked like a statue, but even then the team couldn't score in those.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
The thing that pisses me off is a few people actually think Cory piled up those losses because he couldn't stop enough pucks. We were shutout in 7 games Cory played, including a couple 1-0 losses.

Do people remember how many games this guy had to win 2-1? About half of wins were 2-1 or 1-0. He had ONE win last year in which he gave up more than 2 goals. I would say he was the best player in most of his wins and our best player in quite a few of his losses as well. I don't see how his goaltending was the reason for many of his losses. Maybe if you wanna blame him for some of those horrific shootouts where he looked like a statue, but even then the team couldn't score in those.

Agreed. What did Tom Brady's super model wife say after the Patriots lost the Superbowl? My husband can't throw and catch the ball? Well Cory can't put the puck in the net for them. Hopefully Cammallerri and Havlat are good for at least a few more goals this season. That and pray for a healthy Jagr and Elias.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I mean there is legit issues with his shootout play. He was bad and yes the scoring was the main problem in shootouts, even if the year was normal you can't be giving up the first goal in such a terrible manner.

Still it wasn't his fault those games went to shootouts most times anyway as we should of won anyway.

Also it must be a incredible burden to go out there thinking "I have to get a shutout or we lose tonight" every game you go out there. A little less stress will go a long way for him and his stats are already pretty damn good.

I mean we got high quality stats from a tight Cory. I think he can be even better playing loose.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm going to have to do some research...I'd like to see
A. How often did Cory give up the first goal
B. How many minutes did he play tied or with the lead vs total minutes.

I don't think I miss more than 3 games this season and I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone but Cory just wasn't all that impressive...at least not to the level his sv% and GA would indicate ...

You see sub 2 GA and over .920 sv% and you would expect a difference maker...by no means, under any circumstances was Cory a difference maker. Again I'm not fishing, I'm just stating a fact. His W/L record was a direct reflection of the team. And I don't believe the results would've been any different with any other goaltender.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Alright when you get back down to earth and realize Cory is much better then Marty, then we can continue

You do understand that Marty is no longer relevant.

Cory is the guy with 8 years remaining now. The discussions should be all about Cory now.

I don't blame Cory for losing or winning for that matter....

What is incredibly ironic to me is last season, just about exactly one year ago, you and almost every single person on this board made the claim that we missed the playoffs because of the combined sv% of Brodeur and Hedberg while I argued it was lack of goals...the results are pretty close to the same with the super sv%, at least as far as wins go. And we actually ranked higher in goals for this season than last.

Now everyone seems to like the lack of goal support argument this year....go figure.

Last edited:

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Agreed. What did Tom Brady's super model wife say after the Patriots lost the Superbowl? My husband can't throw and catch the ball? Well Cory can't put the puck in the net for them. Hopefully Cammallerri and Havlat are good for at least a few more goals this season. That and pray for a healthy Jagr and Elias.

B...but Marty has the most goals ever by a goalie.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Honestly, Marty's stickhandling and decision making declined big time over the last several years, so I don't think it's that big of a deal these days.

And I'd much prefer a 28yo goalie like Schneider in net than a 42yo Brodeur who needs to retire and has been declining.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

I don't think I miss more than 3 games this season and I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone but Cory just wasn't all that impressive...at least not to the level his sv% and GA would indicate ...

You see sub 2 GA and over .920 sv% and you would expect a difference maker...by no means, under any circumstances was Cory a difference maker. Again I'm not fishing, I'm just stating a fact. His W/L record was a direct reflection of the team. And I don't believe the results would've been any different with any other goaltender.

I don't see how these stats would be relevant. If you find out that he played x amount of games or minutes with the lead (which by virtue of the team's scoring rate would probably be somethinig like 1-0 or 2-1 on most nights), you are going to claim that he couldn't rise to the occassion and prevent the other team from scoring the tying goal (even though, again, in most cases that meant giving up only 1 or 2 goals per game). If you find that he played x amount of games or minutes from behind you are going to claim that he always gave up the first goal and forced the team to play from behind constantly.

Bottom line is that when the offense in front of the goalie only scores 1-2 goals per game, I don't care who the goalie is, there's going to be a lot of times when you can't hold the lead or are playing from behind. Your premise here is highly flawed.

My question to you would be: what specifically did you want to see different from Cory's performance last season? If he was constantly playing with the lead with 1-0 and 2-1 scores, were you expecting him to prevent that next goal (which would effectively give him a sub-2.00 GAA, a stat nearly impossible of maintaining)? If he was playing with 0-0 score or 1-1 game for large stretches of a game, how long and how often would you have expected him to maintain that score, given that his team on most nights couldn't get that first or second goal? At what point would it be acceptable to pin those losses on the offense?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

again, what a ridiculous post.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
again, what a ridiculous post.

You were one of those saying all last summer that Cory's SV% ALONE was worth at LEAST 5 extra wins...That is almost a DIRECT FROM YOU going from memory...

So explain to me how the guy with a .921 had almost the same win% as Hedberg did with a .883?

Last year it wasn't goal support is was Hedberg and Marty's fault according to you...

This year it is the team ranked 27th in Goal Scoring and had a goalie with a .921 and won just about as many games. Hedberg's team was 28th in scoring.

You have shifting excuses....

The bottom line, as I've always contended, well at least for the last 5 or 6 years that goalies have slowly become clones of one another, goaltenders are irrelevant. Completely and Utterly irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You were one of those saying all last summer that Cory's SV% ALONE was worth at LEAST 5 extra wins...That is almost a DIRECT FROM YOU going from memory...

So explain to me how the guy with a .921 had almost the same win win% as Hedberg did with a .883?

Last year it wasn't goal support is was Hedberg and Marty's fault according to you...

This year it is the team ranked 27th in Goal Scoring and had a goalie with a .921 and won just about as many games. Hedberg's team was 28th.

You have shifting excuses....

The bottom line, as I've always contended, well at least for the last 5 or 6 years that goalies have slowly become clones of one another, goaltenders are irrelevant. Completely and Utterly irrelevant.

first of all, I never once said that SV% would lead directly to 5 more wins so I have no idea what you're talking about.

second of all, you are comparing a 48 game season to an 82 game season.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Looking at goalies who played 40+ games over the last 3 seasons. (100 of them)

Average if the goalie played 82 games = 14.5 point share

Max if the goalie played 82 games = 23.3 point share (Tim Thomas 10-11)

Min if the goalie played 82 games = 6.56 point share (Roloson 11-12)

Average for top 3rd = 17.93 point share

Average for bot 3rd = 10.908 point share

7.022 point share is a significant amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad