GDT: Devils @ Oilers, 3 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

All this game does is ensure Daws will be starting A LOT more than we want him to.

Because Gillies literally can't have ONE good start in his last THREE.

Not even one PASSABLE start in his last three.
We have to be careful how we bring Dawes along and build his confidence and technique. What went wrong for him lately has been pucks “going through him,” that when he moves and sometimes even when he has been set, the arms haven’t been tight to the body and the puck has leaked through between the arms and torso; or he gas got that big glove on a shot but not caught it, instead it’s glanced up. There have been a few poor angles taken on shots. A few. But this is stuff that is easily worked on, in a 20 year old in particular. The kid looks like he has the raw material to be an NHL goalie. So let’s develop him properly.

Camille the Eel

Congrats on the birth of your child!:nod:

And also congrats that you got to miss the one. It got even worse from there for Gillies. 4 out of the 5 goals were bad, but the first 3 were just unforgivably bad.

Most people probably would say the third goal was the worst and it seemed to deflate the entire team, but after watching every single goal around the league for 4 years those types of goals happen probably once a night on average, though some looks worse than others.

The second goal was a very clean wraparound and that's the type of goal I don't see happen all that often. I almost always give a wraparound the softy of the night these days, just because you don't many of them happen on a night to night basis. Unless there's a dribbler from far range or a really bad giveaway from a goalie that leads to a goal, I tend to give the wraparound the softy of the night. Because wraparounds are very rare these days. Now perhaps some of that is because they're not attempted as much anymore as that really bad angle goals, but regardless, I don't see too many of those around the league.
But on the wrap around, you could see it happening on the screen, and the goalie not reacting, long before the goalie saw what he had to do. That’s the thing with Gillies that I’ve never ever seen before to this degree with any NHL goalie - that his reactions and positioning are so far behind what you are seeing develop as you watch. You could see that wrap around about to happen a mile and several slow game seconds away. It’s Gillies trademark - you as a viewer will see it happen half a dozen times a night it seems.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Gillies has the slowest reaction time I think I've ever seen for a goalie. The guy looks like there's a delay in his brain when something happens in front of him. It's like he's gaming online on dial up and everyone else is on Xfinity. It's really startling how late he reacts to even a simple shot. I cannot wait for him to be gone. He's the worst goalie we've ever had.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ken Daneyko has become fed up enough that he's finally starting to be vocal about it on air, Ruff was really critical of it in the post game. I don't think I've ever seen him spend that much time talking about the goaltending in a presser since he's been here.
What did they say?

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Yup. I don’t care if we have to use a 2nd round pick, get someone to play the rest of this year. Not the long term solution (if it’s not there ) but get someone , anyone . Anderson or ? A capable NHL level goalie. We are going to ruin Daws and the entire team is going to be effected . Why play your asses off when you know it is i possible to win? The way they approach games has to be effected because they don’t want to get demolished by 6+ goals , so they alter their entire gameplan (which is to not to give up any shots at all as the is a very good chance it goes in)
It has to be drainig on the players.
It would be nice to know if Blackwood is going to be back this year or not.
Anyway, Devs have only 20 games left this season. There is no reason to deal a valuable pick for a handful of games this year. Just let them play it out and Fitz better address this issue in the off season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What did they say?
He’s been saying “Yeah he’s gonna want that one back. You gotta get a save there” on the backbreaking deflating goal that originally tied it.

And someone posted (sorry, forgot who) that he was on the radio in Calgary saying we lost that game cause if goaltending and that we haven’t gotten enough saves this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gillies looked more off than his usual bad self. He would have probably still given up the wraparound even if he wasn't playing too deep in net because of how slow getting over he was. I don't understand not playing until the whistle on the first goal. It wasn't just all the bad goals he seemed off all around, more than usual.
I think starting with the last game against Tampa (his third to last start) it's been really bad for him.

I didn't think he was THIS bad in the Chicago game. Yes, there were a couple bad ones, but this was the worst game he's played this.

The last time he played Tampa was pretty close though.

And it seems like he really falls apart in the 3rd period in his last 3 starts. There really wasn't a 3rd period for him in the two recent relief appearances because he didn't come in until halfway through the 2nd period both times.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't believe I was actually calling for Gillies to start more games before Blackwood got shut down.

''I find it hard to believe Gillies is worse than Blackwood has been since the start of December''.

That aged GRACEFULLY!

:help:

Only two more goals stoppable from me before Gillies evens Blackwood on the year, in like (fast math here) about 2/3rds the minutes played.

Camille the Eel

I can't believe I was actually calling for Gillies to start more games before Blackwood got shut down.

''I find it hard to believe Gillies is worse than Blackwood has been since the start of December''.

That aged GRACEFULLY!

Only two more goals stoppable from me before Gillies evens Blackwood on the year, in like (fast math here) about 2/3rds the minutes played.
What’s your view of the Tyson Barrie game tying goal? The one short side top corner from the angle? At least he’s in position but down early and when you crouch like that you leave that spot open? Stoppable or do you just tip your hat to Barrie on that one?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
What’s your view of the Tyson Barrie game tying goal? The one short side top corner from the angle? At least he’s in position but down early and when you crouch like that you leave that spot open? Stoppable or do you just tip your hat to Barrie on that one?
Weak goal imo. Dude is 6’6 and shouldn’t get beat from that angle. If I remember correctly, @Bleedred marked it as stoppable.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It’s a BAD goal BUT (here’s my but), it’s a type of goal I see probably on average once a night around the league. Those bad angle goals are very common around the league. More common than you think if you don’t watch every single goal there is. It’s to the point that I don’t even look to make them the softy of the night as much as I used to. It’s not until you start watching every goal through out the league that you realize this type of goal happens fairly frequently. Marty used to seem to allow quite a bit of them in his prime too.

I thought the Kane wraparound goal was worse, actually. Because I don’t see wraparounds happening all that much the past few years. Cal Petersen allowed a wraparound goal today too though.

The first goal was bad, but it wouldn’t have looked as painfully bad if he didn’t appear so f***ing absolutely clueless on it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Okay, the fifth goal wasn’t really bad on Gillies. He bobbles that cause it’s deflected.

So I can’t give him a stoppable goal for it, but the first 3 we’re all unforgivably bad and enough to really blame him for the loss in today’s game. Still another soft goal hat trick.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Was out and about (just had my first child, girl, and she is incredible).....just saw that first goal on Gillies...come on lol

Wow, pretending just to comment on the game but it’s really just a humble brag about a baby. Way to make it all about you…

I kid…

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

That aged GRACEFULLY!

This is totally on you.

I hope you FIRE your opinion. :sarcasm:

• Haha

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You either being obtuse or missing his original point.

You said we can’t expect a SO from Gillies. His point is even “terrible” NHL goalies have been locked in a game and had a SO or 1 goal game. It happens very frequently. (I don’t care enough about the “debate” to look up examples but, yeah, I agree with Bleedred here.

Therefore it’s not crazy to expect at least a reasonably good game from this dude at certain points if he plays a lot and is healthy.

This was a trap game for the Oilers and they are team with zero backbone or positive team culture, so they are primed to lose those.

And if Gillies wasn’t awful, and didn’t f*** up multiple times we would have had a chance here.

The PP sucking was definitely another noticeable problem.

We’re also generally awful away (8-20-2 away vs 14-14-3 home before this game).

But the Oilers aren’t that great at home (18-12-0 vs 16-11-4 away). And Gillies pretty much never gives us a chance to win unless the other team’s goalie is also terrible too so we score a ton of goals.

I also don’t think you get Bleedred’s stoppable goal thing. Not to speak for him too much, but even the best goalies let those in. If a goalie let in numerous ones every game though, it just kills a team.

Who knows if we would have won with a better goalie & PP, but Gillies and our PP lost this game.
Gillies is mentally f*cked up.

The first goal was so telling. He probably felt he didn't stop the puck clean and was worried any movement would move the puck into the net. Once he realized, that the puck is still in play, it was way to late.

Today Gillies hasn"t the mental make up to win a game and he isn't good enough to get through a period without getting rattled.
For the time being: Gillies in net = loss

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's frustrating because we have multiple young guys on pace for career years, and scoring at rates that put them as some of the best players in the league.

And we got nothing to show for it because we can't get basic saves.
Just consider this...we have two guys at over PPG paces this year. The only two guys who've averaged over a PPG for the Devils since the beginning of the 2010's are Kovalchuk in 2011-12 and Hall in 2017-18 and those were the last Devils teams to make the playoffs. We have two this year and this team isn't sniffing the postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad