GDT: Devils @ Oilers, 3 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm not really into debating or dissecting posts, but Bleedred said other bad goalies at least have a shutout or two. Expecting a shutout and a good games are not the same thing. Maybe I didn't read the whole thing irt. Still I don't understand bringing Gillies lack of shutouts into the conversation.

I asked if he was upset that Gillies didn't have a shutout and I thought that was expecting too much.

And yeah some PP goals would have helped.
I apologize, I did a search and he did mention shutout first.

I only saw him respond to you in the live thread and missed his first post with SO comment (or managed to confuse myself).

That’s what I get for thinking I’m following what’s going on these Live threads.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The point is almost every game he was in has been a 4 goal game with most goals being softies
I've counted 23 stoppable this year and he's allowed 56 total. Only 53 as a Devil, but I specifically remember not tagging him for any of the 3 goals he allowed in the one game as a Blue that he played this year. I remember arguing it when Blackwood was getting tossed out there every game and Gillies literally played 2 games here in the first 4 weeks or so that we had him.

And I also specifically remember that I didn't count any of the 3 goals he allowed against the Penguins or Islanders as stoppable and those were his first 2 starts here.

So since his first 9 goals against on the season, I've counted 23 of 47 goals stoppable? OUCH!

I just don't see that after this sizeable a number of games played. It's truly possibly a first.

I have ALL of my findings from 18-19 up through last night tracked, but I did botch the playoffs from 2020 a bit, due to shitty record keeping and editing.

But nothing is really organized, so I'd be interested to see how many guys sustained this high of a percentage after THAT many games. I did have Eric Comrie (who's still played a handful fewer games than Gillies this year) for about 50% of his goals against being stoppable this year, so it happens in very limited sample sizes. In fact, I have 100% of Garret Sparks 3 goals allowed this year as stoppable. But again, that's only 3 goals and he only played 2 games and 97 minutes in total.

Last year I deemed 32 of Matt Murray's 79 goals against as stoppable, which was 40.5%. And his teammate Marcus Hogberg (who has since f***ed off to Europe to play) I got for 20 goals stoppable out of the 40 he allowed for exactly 50%.

Gillies has now passed him in minutes played this year by about 260-ish or so? Maybe a little more? I don't feel like looking again.

Koskinen has flirted with 40% in some of his years, but is usually at about 38% and that's very high.

Gillies is really up there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think most of us can agree that at least 3 (and I personally think 4) of these goals were bad today.

Ken Daneyko has become fed up enough that he's finally starting to be vocal about it on air, Ruff was really critical of it in the post game. I don't think I've ever seen him spend that much time talking about the goaltending in a presser since he's been here.

So basically we are probably gonna see more Daws than we should, more than he should play, unless we make a move for some other worthless no count bum by Monday afternoon.

I can't imagine you can find somebody any worse than Gillies though.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was out and about (just had my first child, girl, and she is incredible).....just saw that first goal on Gillies...come on lol
Congrats on the birth of your child!:nod:

And also congrats that you got to miss the one. It got even worse from there for Gillies. 4 out of the 5 goals were bad, but the first 3 were just unforgivably bad.

Most people probably would say the third goal was the worst and it seemed to deflate the entire team, but after watching every single goal around the league for 4 years those types of goals happen probably once a night on average, though some looks worse than others.

The second goal was a very clean wraparound and that's the type of goal I don't see happen all that often. I almost always give a wraparound the softy of the night these days, just because you don't many of them happen on a night to night basis. Unless there's a dribbler from far range or a really bad giveaway from a goalie that leads to a goal, I tend to give the wraparound the softy of the night. Because wraparounds are very rare these days. Now perhaps some of that is because they're not attempted as much anymore as that really bad angle goals, but regardless, I don't see too many of those around the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thank you so much! She melts my heart!

Then I saw the goal by Kane...and I got angry lol

Gilles is AWFUL
Again, That barrie shot is an embarrassment...how the HELL did that go in?
The second Kane goal was the one goal I didn't give him a stoppable goal on. The Hyman goal I did mark stoppable, but I can also cut him a break because it wasn't completely terrible like the first 3.

The first 3 were all killer softies.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We really do have to get somebody else in there, unless management is okay with either completely punting games (that's what we get with Gillies) or potentially ruining Daws NHL career a couple of years before it ever should have started.

Gillies just makes it so hard to evaluate anything. He makes the coaches look worse (the power play does a great job of confirming that though), he makes all the skaters look worse. He's making management look worse for trotting such an embarrassment to the position out there.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
We really do have to get somebody else in there, unless management is okay with either completely punting games (that's what we get with Gillies) or potentially ruining Daws NHL career a couple of years before it ever should have started.

Gillies just makes it so hard to evaluate anything. He makes the coaches look worse (the power play does a great job of confirming that though), he makes all the skaters look worse. He's making management look worse for trotting such an embarrassment to the position out there.
Yup. I don’t care if we have to use a 2nd round pick, get someone to play the rest of this year. Not the long term solution (if it’s not there ) but get someone , anyone . Anderson or ? A capable NHL level goalie. We are going to ruin Daws and the entire team is going to be effected . Why play your asses off when you know it is i possible to win? The way they approach games has to be effected because they don’t want to get demolished by 6+ goals , so they alter their entire gameplan (which is to not to give up any shots at all as the is a very good chance it goes in)
It has to be drainig on the players.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Gillies looked more off than his usual bad self. He would have probably still given up the wraparound even if he wasn't playing too deep in net because of how slow getting over he was. I don't understand not playing until the whistle on the first goal. It wasn't just all the bad goals he seemed off all around, more than usual.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ken Daneyko has become fed up enough that he's finally starting to be vocal about it on air, Ruff was really critical of it in the post game. I don't think I've ever seen him spend that much time talking about the goaltending in a presser since he's been here.
Yes it is becoming more and more talked about . Daneyko was on Sportsnet 960 (calgary) on game day vs. Flames .
He went into detail talking about how terrible the goaltending has been and how it is starting to effect the entire team .
There has to be a breaking point here. It is becoming harder and harder to not have it become a major issue where the team , fans , everyone is gettig fed up with not having a goalie worth a shit.

Reactions: Bleedred and Mgd31

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Funny enough, after all my talk about not seeing too many wraparounds, Cal Petersen allowed one today too.

He made the save but gave up a rebound and Dadonov just goes around to the other side of the net and beats him to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad