LeBrun: Devils may trade for Markstrom without salary retention

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
No you're right. That bet on the blueline and goaltending was rock solid. It's the center depth that's the problem. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Hughes and Hischier are scrub 4th line centers. 30 goal two way wingers suck too. That blueline and goalie combo. It's cup worthy. Fitz did a great job there. It was just Ruff who was the problem. He's gone now, that defense/goalie combo won't give up a goal for the rest of the season. Who needs a coach who has had the lowest goals against 5 times in his career when you can give the job to Travis Green. Look at the magic he worked with that Vancouver blueline...

Honestly.

Their top 4 defense this year and last year was missing one person and it was Ryan Graves. Everyone regressing on the defense is something no one saw coming. If you did then go buy a lottery ticket or polish up your resume and apply for NHL jobs instead of sitting on HFBoards.

Dumoulin or Ian Cole would have been my picks. Both guys are good at being the stable partner. Exactly what you needed. Orlov was an absurd price. He would be good but not at that cost.

Fitz traded for Colin Miller 2 hours into UFA, he was clearly proactive in trying to fix that 3RHD once Severson left. You weren't signing a guy for two years like Dumo or the possibility if Nemec outplayed a veteran in training camp.I still don't get this logic considering both kids have outplayed the veterans by a mile this year on the backend.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Their top 4 defense this year and last year was missing one person and it was Ryan Graves. Everyone regressing on the defense is something no one saw coming. If you did then go buy a lottery ticket or polish up your resume and apply for NHL jobs instead of sitting on HFBoards.

Fitz traded for Colin Miller 2 hours into UFA, he was clearly proactive in trying to fix that 3RHD once Severson left. You weren't signing a guy for two years like Dumo or the possibility if Nemec outplayed a veteran in training camp.I still don't get this logic considering both kids have outplayed the veterans by a mile this year on the backend.
Exactly. Hughes & Nemec have been better than Severson and Graves. The issue is the Hamilton injury and Marino and Siegs playing worse than last year

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Miller has all of a sudden found his stride! The shot rips, i was there for Avs game, you could tell it waa hummin. Also hes pinching alot but confidently skating where it was nothing like this last year. Ashame he's only on a one year could use his depth

Reactions: bigd

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
With the way, Fitz spoke about Holtz today, I expect him to be a Flame/goalie trade package sometime in the near future. Just no hope for this kid in NJ.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I know this will be wildly unpopular like most of my posts seem to be with Devils fans, but Hughes needs to be better at the exact same things that Fitz just said Holtz needs to be better at. He's a high end C already, but he needs to manage pucks better and be better down low in his own end.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
I know this will be wildly unpopular like most of my posts seem to be with Devils fans, but Hughes needs to be better at the exact same things that Fitz just said Holtz needs to be better at. He's a high end C already, but he needs to manage pucks better and be better down low in his own end.
That's completely reasonable and I would think many Devils fans agree (I think you're a good poster FWIW)

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Oof. That's something you say in private, not to the media. Also sggests he may not value Holtz as much as the fans do and makes the rumored Holtz+1st+Vanecek rumor a little more believable IMO
I'd be more forgiving if the team at any point had displayed the type of accountability they do for Holtz as they do for other players.

They don't.

As fans we have been asking to give Luke Hughes a game or two off because he has so clearly hit the rookie wall, and instead they are going to scratch Nemec tonight. Brenden Smith is a walking cluster**** on defense and they just keep popping him in there. Mercer's entire season has been a disaster...they've moved him around a little, but then almost always just bump him right back up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be more forgiving if the team at any point had displayed the type of accountability they do for Holtz as they do for other players.

They don't.

As fans we have been asking to give Luke Hughes a game or two off because he has so clearly hit the rookie wall, and instead they are going to scratch Nemec tonight. Brenden Smith is a walking cluster**** on defense and they just keep popping him in there. Mercer's entire season has been a disaster...they've moved him around a little, but then almost always just bump him right back up.
That's shitty

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
<cringe> Holtz's trade value just took a dive.
Which if anything simply means he isn't on the market at all. I suspect Holtz was on the table if retention was in play. No retention means no Holtz.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Which if anything simply means he isn't on the market at all. I suspect Holtz was on the table if retention was in play. No retention means no Holtz.
You are probably right. I doubt Fitzgerald would be publicly ripping his player if there was a deal to be done right now. But still... Summer isn't too far away and those words will be remembered. Stupid move by Fitzgerald.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You are probably right. I doubt Fitzgerald would be publicly ripping his player if there was a deal to be done right now. But still... Summer isn't too far away and those words will be remembered. Stupid move by Fitzgerald.

I'm a happy man as long as we keep Holtz. I've been adamant that I'd happily replace Holtz in any offer with 1st+2nd+3rd

Eg
Holtz for Markstrom (2 mill retained)

or
1st+2nd+3rd for Markstrom (2 mill retained)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Flames fans are doing a lot of talking about Fitzgerald but let's look at conroy:

Lost Zadorov trade

Lost Toffoli trade (Toffoli's metrics CLEAR) despite an unsustainable shooting heater from Yegor (who's metrics have not gotten any better contrary to belief)

Wasted an opportunity to trade Backlund by extending him into his late 30s (that move cost you another 1st as a rental)

Walking Yegor straight to UFA with a 2 year deal

No 1st for Tanev

Has now pissed off his starting goalie and is looking like he'll waste the peak of his trade value and make the flames pick worse.

Couldn't get Hanifin extended.

The Lindholm trade was decent enough in a desperate C market, but still had to take on a cap dump.

Mid 1st round pick on Honzek. Don't want to make assessments too early, but 67th in the WHL in PPG as a 19 year old from a draft class that good with a mid 1st certainly isn't a steal

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Have you considered the fact that NJDs lineup decisions have nothing to do with the flames?
have you considered actually reading what you reply to? Dude literally used a f***ing sarcasm emoji

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Flames fans are doing a lot of talking about Fitzgerald but let's look at conroy:

Lost Zadorov trade

Lost Toffoli trade (Toffoli's metrics CLEAR) despite an unsustainable shooting heater from Yegor (who's metrics have not gotten any better contrary to belief)

Wasted an opportunity to trade Backlund by extending him into his late 30s (that move cost you another 1st as a rental)

Walking Yegor straight to UFA with a 2 year deal

No 1st for Tanev

Has now pissed off his starting goalie and is looking like he'll waste the peak of his trade value and make the flames pick worse.

Couldn't get Hanifin extended.

The Lindholm trade was decent enough in a desperate C market, but still had to take on a cap dump.

Mid 1st round pick on Honzek. Don't want to make assessments too early, but 67th in the WHL in PPG as a 19 year old from a draft class that good with a mid 1st certainly isn't a steal
Careful, if you stretch any further you might break something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad