LeBrun: Devils may trade for Markstrom without salary retention

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Don’t turn the page on Jacob Markstrom to the New Jersey Devils just yet.

After a failed trade attempt a few weeks ago, I’m told New Jersey reached out again to the Calgary Flames this week to say it was still interested in the 34-year-old netminder. And in fact, I believe the Devils are now willing to make that trade without the Flames having to retain salary, which was a sticking point last time around (or at least the asset cost on retaining salary was).

But even with the Devils offering to take on all of Markstrom’s contract, which pays him $6 million per year through the 2025-26 season, I think it’s still a tough trade to contemplate for Flames GM Craig Conroy. His team is battling hard, and trading its MVP would probably gut his dressing room. He is definitely sensitive to that.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Devils: "You don't have to retain a cent, but you gotta take back Vanacek as part of the deal."

I don't think that is a big deal, it would let Wolf stay in the AHL for one more year.

Hang up was Mercer vs Holtz. Cant see that being resolved.

Could have been the retention or maybe Hanifin being involved.

There is still one week left before the trade deadline.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
no retain = lesser trade package for the Flames.

Which means that this trade will likely go through. If the rumours were true, then the deal was very far down the path until retention value became the big obstacle. I would assume now that the obstacle is removed, it can carry down the path? I guess we will see.

I am curious to see what the package is. A lot of rumours, so who knows.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Hopefully the package headed to Calgary is way less than originally offered, Calgary has waited themself into only having 1 trade partner.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Hang up was Mercer vs Holtz. Cant see that being resolved.

Really? I might be out of the loop, but I would think Mercer being an option would make it an easier choice, unless they were trying to also attach something to him as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We might need an all-inclusive Markstrom thread where the OP keeps us updated on "trading" him vs "not trading him".

There appears to be..."mixed"...signals here.

Reactions: MVP Zacha

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Be interesting to see. The way I read it Lebrun is saying the deal they agreed on works now without the retention, not that the deal has changed in any other way. And Jersey came back to Calgary.

Time will tell. Lots of smoke flying around that's at odds with each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad