Pre-Game Talk: Devils (M2) vs Rangers (M3), Round 1, 2023 NHL Playoffs.

Question

• Rangers in 4

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Rangers in 5

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Rangers in 6

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Rangers in 7

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Devils in 4

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Devils in 5

Votes: 38 17.6%
  • Devils in 6

Votes: 117 54.2%
  • Devils in 7

Votes: 18 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm all for being happy about the win but I get the sense that they are thinking they have some sort of formula all figured out.

Maybe they did on the PK but, other than that, I'm not sure the ideal strategy is to score one regulation goal again.

Outside of the OT goal, I still don't think they had many good looks 5 on 5. Maybe it's just the fact that they are due to break out a little but I'm still terrified about the lack of real offense.
I think the Devils bumbled a bunch of chances due to overpassing or losing puck control. Hopefully that won’t happen next game as they have a win under their belt and maybe can calm their nerves.

In the first 2 games I felt they struggled to even get opportunities at chances more than game 3.

I don’t think the Devils have figured the Rangers out, the Devils keep shooting stretch passes into a trap, but I think they did figure out how to get to some of the softer spots.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I can't imagine Timo, Nico, Hischier and others stay invisible the entire series. There is a ceiling that hasn't been reached. That's good news for the Devils.

They’re barely even hitting the floor. I don’t expect them to magically turn it around and be great.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
We’ve had like a handful of quality chances the entire series. We’re very close to the floor.
The Hischier line at 5v5 yesterday:

Attempts were 21-10, SOG were 14-4, high-danger chances were 9-0, and xG share was nearly 80%.

The “quality chances” in the playoffs are never going to look like the regular season. They were very very good. If that’s the “floor” then I want to know what just average is.

pulkit1989

Nov 16, 2011
I can't imagine Timo, Nico, Hischier and others stay invisible the entire series. There is a ceiling that hasn't been reached. That's good news for the Devils.
I hope they reach their ceiling soon. We really need depth scoring from everyone

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To me it just feels like the longer this goes, the better our chances get.

Kids are still learning how the playoffs work, Jack and Mercer seem to be fighting it the most.

As they get more comfortable, we will get better.

I would argue Game 4 is very important for the Rags as they shouldn't want to give us the time to start playing with real confidence. It would be really unwise of them to let us off the mat.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
They’re barely even hitting the floor. I don’t expect them to magically turn it around and be great.

Can't believe a PPG player like Hischier stays invisible the entire series. I'm expecting a 3 point game from him.

pulkit1989

Nov 16, 2011
Can't believe a PPG player like Hischier stays invisible the entire series. I'm expecting a 3 point game from him.
We need guys like palat and tatar to also show up. These guys have been in the playoffs before yet they are invisible

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We need guys like palat and tatar to also show up. These guys have been in the playoffs before yet they are invisible
We won't get much out of Tatar and Mercer with McLeod as their center. I'm still not a fan of that line, McLeod has not been above 4th line C at any point in the year, now we are using him there in the most important time? We are unlikely to make changes so it likely does not matter.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It is always fascinating how the captain escapes criticism.
He had an assist on the overtime goal. The scoring chances at 5 on 5 when he is on the ice is heavy in his favor. He needs a multi point game to get himself going. Not saying he has been great because he hasn't but we know he is capable of playing better.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Everyone from the coaching staff to players to fans know the Devils weren't great yesterday but still managed to escape with a win. That's all that matters. I'm sure the boys know that they are going to have to work their tails off and start processing the game better if they want to have a chance at getting back into the series. It's 1 game at a time. I'm sure this team was feeling bad after dropping the first 2 games in embarassing fashion but they atleast responded in game 3. Schmid needs to have another solid game tomorrow but it's time our forwards put it together.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
GDT is ready to go, I'll upload it at or shortly after midnight.
IMG_7853.jpeg

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I don’t really have any evidence to back it up but for me, Hischier and Meier have been the Devils’ best forwards in the series. I feel like they’ve looked a little more calm and composed and been more valuable in all 3 zones. But at the end of the day, everyone’s just gonna look at the scoresheet and judge you by how many times your name is there.

I haven’t been happy with how Hughes and Bratt have looked; like they’re trying to win the whole series every time the puck’s on their stick. But it’s a testament to their skill that they can still tilt the ice and get good scoring opportunities (and score now and then) even when they kinda look like shit. Everyone else on the roster doesn’t have that luxury. Overall it’s just tough to watch a bunch of talented youngsters fail to reach their potential due to a lack of structure.

But i bet if i could go back in time to October, I’d have had really similar thoughts at the beginning of the season. I’d love to think there’s something to the players saying they’re gonna reach another level, but i’ll believe when I see it. The team finally started to look like themselves in overtime on Saturday. Hopefully they can build off that.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
With 2 days off it will be interesting to see what wrinkles both teams come up with.

For the Rangers, I think they’ll want to attack through the sides of the neutral zone with speed and dump pucks hard around for their opposite side winger and instigate puck battles where the Devils are prone to overcommit and not dangerous if the Devils win the puck.

For the Devils, I think they want to stress the instances where the defenseman can safely activate and/or pinch to generate more possession and opportunities.

The Rangers had the better gameplan games 1 and 2. The Devils have now put in place a new strong plan so it’s incumbent on the Rangers to adjust and the Devils to guess the adjustment and already have the next plan ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad