Post-Game Talk: Devils lose another SO to Sabres

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If you really think knowing the system gives Sykora a real leg up on someone like Sullivan, who is just as wily as Sykora and has seen just as much success throughout his career, then I'm glad not to continue it.

Tedenby and Josefson both already knew the system too.

who cares about sullivan?? this isn’t about a stupid assed trade lou made on deadline day. its about what happened when zach parise left. we had the option to sign sykora. we know that, based on sykora and his agent’s statements. IIRC, he basically said ‘I either play in NJ or nowhere’ which would have brought his value (in terms of negotiating a contract with NJ) to barely ANYTHING. I don’t think he even cared about the money. he wanted to stay in NJ and play in the NHL. instead, lou signs barch. are you saying that was the better move? this was pretty much a NO risk MEDIUM reward move, to sign him for a good price. are you really so blind in your faith in lou that you DON’T think that’s the case? do you really think sykora wouldn’t have helped us at all this season?

and what he did at the end of an 82-game season (in which he played EVERY GAME) is pretty meaningless to me. in fact, this year he could’ve been even more effective, after ½ a season of rest.

but really, if you could type the words “sykora wouldn’t have helped us at all this year†and post it for me, thatd be just great.

oh, and tedenby doesnt know his ass from his elbow

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lou took a gamble that Tedenby and Josefson would progress to the next level. They didn't. So he gave up very little to see if he could catch lightning in a bottle with D'Agostini and Sullivan.

What's so hard to understand about that? Lou took a calculated risk (although, based on Sykora's play at the end of last season and in the playoffs, letting him go didn't seem like much of a risk), and it didn't pay off, so he went for options B and C.

Lou didn't **** up. He took a chance that didn't work out, and has done his best to remedy the issues with some shrewd transactions.

I have no problem with Lou's work in the offseason, but he should have done more in season once it became apparent that Ted's, JJ, and Zajac were going to fall well below expectations offensively.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do you guys consider the Bruins rivals?

No but a lot of the games on this ''Rivalry Wednesday'' this year have been against teams that aren't really rivals. The Rangers and Bruins can be considered rivals because they actually go back many years ago as original 6 teams. However the Devils and the Bruins uhhh?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
who cares about sullivan?? this isn’t about a stupid assed trade lou made on deadline day. its about what happened when zach parise left. we had the option to sign sykora. we know that, based on sykora and his agent’s statements. IIRC, he basically said ‘I either play in NJ or nowhere’ which would have brought his value (in terms of negotiating a contract with NJ) to barely ANYTHING. I don’t think he even cared about the money. he wanted to stay in NJ and play in the NHL. instead, lou signs barch. are you saying that was the better move? this was pretty much a NO risk MEDIUM reward move, to sign him for a good price. are you really so blind in your faith in lou that you DON’T think that’s the case? do you really think sykora wouldn’t have helped us at all this season?

and what he did at the end of an 82-game season (in which he played EVERY GAME) is pretty meaningless to me. in fact, this year he could’ve been even more effective, after ½ a season of rest.

but really, if you could type the words “sykora wouldn’t have helped us at all this year†and post it for me, thatd be just great.

:handclap: Sometimes I have a hard time telling if MartyOwns is serious or not, but I think he is this time and I agree. Also Sykora slowing down or becoming less productive at the end of last season is a HUGE misnomer. While he was absolutely very steaky last year all year, he produced at the same clip in the last 41 as he did in the first 41. I remember him getting sent to the 4th line late last season for a game, but after that he picked it right back up. It was after Barch and Boulton started getting scratched, and the 4th line was mostly Carter-Josefson-Bernier. He went 8 or 9 games without points/goals a couple times last season, but he produced at the same clip both halves.

The only time he completely fell apart was once the playoffs started.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I have no problem with Lou's work in the offseason, but he should have done more in season once it became apparent that Ted's, JJ, and Zajac were going to fall well below expectations offensively.

what work did he do in the offseason? did i miss something?

im not a 'lou hater' by any means, i love the guy...but cmon now

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
what work did he do in the offseason? did i miss something?

im not a 'lou hater' by any means, i love the guy...but cmon now

Well there was this guy. You may have forgotten him cause he's been a healthy scratch for a couple weeks now.

t_zps192c162d.jpg

Then this guy who didn't even crack the lineup out of camp. He also put up 2 points in like 14 games when he finally got his chance. The jersey he's wearing in this picture tells of his fate. He was waived, and ended up there.

bobby-butler_zpsc609f8c5.png

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

I never said Sykora wouldn't have helped the team. He might have, he might not have. I do have my doubts considering his age and his performance at the end of last year.

I'm simply being objective in my analysis of how Lamoriello handled the situation.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I never said Sykora wouldn't have helped the team. He might have, he might not have. I do have my doubts considering his age and his performance at the end of last year.

I'm simply being objective in my analysis of how Lamoriello handled the situation.

His performance at the end of last year meaning regular season? Or his performance at the end of last year meaning playoffs? He had 8 points in the last 10 games of the regular season. He produced 22 points in the first 41 games and the season, and another 22 in the last 41 games.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Do you guys consider the Bruins rivals?

only on Wednesdays in April.

And as for Sykora and the schedule, he couldn't keep up when games were 2 and 3 days apart normally, let alone how bad he'd be struggling in a very compressed schedule. I don't think the short season would have helped as much as a few days off between games. He may have helped the PP and maybe helped Elias a tad but honestly I didn't want him fudging up the top 2 lines. Lou needed to get a legit* top 6 replacement via trade and not recycle him another season imo. Ifs and butts and all that. So much went south this year it's hard to pin down any one issue except for which wing Kovy should be playing. :sarcasm:

*see what i did there

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
By Days Rest GP G A PTS +/- PIM SOG % PPG PPA SHG SHA GWG TOI/G PROD
0 Days Rest 15 2 2 4 -2 6 28 7.1 0 0 0 0 0 16:08 60:30
1 Days Rest 40 15 9 24 7 20 99 15.2 3 0 0 0 3 15:23 25:39
2 Days Rest 22 4 12 16 2 8 32 12.5 1 2 0 0 3 16:33 22:45
3+ Days Rest 4 0 0 0 -3 4 8 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 17:35 0:00

he did ok with 1-2 days rest

Ad

Upcoming events