Post-Game Talk: Devils lose another SO to Sabres

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We set a team record for consecutive losses, yay us.

I posted this late in the game thread, but it deserves to lead off the PGT becuase it's a perfect prism of this whole week:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Absolutely not my logic. Your reasoning for not renewing is laughable...

"Not committed to winning" :laugh:

If this was the Islanders of the last few years I'd have no issue with a fan taking that stance. Or the Oilers or any other team that doesn't really try to win. Not winning one and a half years out of the last three when there was a Finals appearance in between and fifteen straight playoff appearances before that doesn't scream that the Devils aren't trying to win, that's the definition of being spoiled.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Also worth noting...Marty is STILL at 666 wins.

Now I see why Lou doesn't want anyone to wear #13.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I won't bother quoting those that made the comments in the GDT but I saw a few comparisons to the Kings of last season. I do see some similarities if I look really hard but truth is there aren't many. The Kings were projected to finish near the top of the conference before the season started, and looking that their lineup rightfully so. They were just a team that greatly underachieved until late in the season and in the playoffs. The Devils were projected to finish around 6th-10th place this season, right where we are now. Are players underachieving? Yes. But this team was never projected to be anything special like the Kings were.

I assume those posters were just talking about sneaking into the post-season like the Kings, but I just wanted to point out the vast differences.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If this was the Islanders of the last few years I'd have no issue with a fan taking that stance. Or the Oilers or any other team that doesn't really try to win. Not winning one and a half years out of the last three when there was a Finals appearance in between and fifteen straight playoff appearances before that doesn't scream that the Devils aren't trying to win, that's the definition of being spoiled.

If (when) this team goes through truly hard times (e.g. multiple losing seasons, possibly after Marty retires) the support will be absolutely dismal. By far the most spoiled fanbase in all of sports, certainly in the NHL. Attendance will be absolutely brutal, and I shutter thinking of the impact it might have on our beloved franchise.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Copy and pasting from the GDT:

Overall, just a really ugly hockey game.

I hope FMASC was watching this game tonight, because this is a PRIME example of how shot quality >>> shot quantity. I have never seen a team get SO much possession time and not create any legitimate scoring opportunities. The Sabres were an abomination in their own zone tonight, we had MULTIPLE instances of +2 minutes of solid zone time and only made low percentage shots. We dominated in time of possession and shots taken but didn't have many quality chances at all.

Defensive zone coverage was awful. We're lucky their forward lineup is pond scum, we left the gate open the entire game. I felt bad for Marty on both goals, awful defensive zone turnovers combined with standing around and watching instead of covering the other team. We gave them the back door play all night long and they kept failing, otherwise this would have gooten much uglier.

I have never seen a team shoot into so many shin pads. There aren't even shooting lanes, they just blindly fire into bodies. Zidlicky telegraphs that he's going to shoot, the defender goes down, AND HE STILL SHOOTS DIRECTLY INTO HIS BODY. Mind-numbing.

Zubrus was a ****ing boss all night long. He looked like Bobby god damn Orr on the 2nd goal.

I didn't even realize Poni and Dags were scratched until the 3rd period, that's also when I realized #9 was Josefson and not Pesonen.

Sullivan looked great, as did Bernier. Loki and Fayne were decent. I don't think Volch took a shift in the 3rd, if he did I didn't notice it.

I am so pissed with Patty right now. This guy is one of the smartest and most creative players in the sport of hockey over the last 20 years and he's out there making rookie mistakes. Blind passes, forcing low percentage shots, shooting right into the goalie, soft dump-ins, cheating out of the zone, not elevating the puck....things he knows not to do.

Kostopulous adds nothing to this team except another name to the "obscure Devils" thread.

Zajac got physically abused all not and never stood up for himself. He just stood there and let them punish him.

Side note: I've been wearing my Devils gear to NJ/BUF games in Buffalo for almost 10 years now, and this is the first time I've EVER been antagonized by Sabres fans leaving the building. People were yelling expletives and someone actually got out of their car and tried to fight me. I've been a Sabres mini-pack holder for four years now and I can't described how humiliated I was, not just for the Devils loss, but because I've never had a bad experience with the fans I share this city with. All of my closest friends are Sabres fans and I can't say how disappointed I was.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
1.gif

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area

Easily the most spoiled pouting fan base in all of hockey...

As was already said above, I truly cringe thinking about our crowds after marty hangs them up if there are a few bad years...It won't be pretty.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
In fact we are the complete opposite of 2012 Kings. The only thing we could share with them is a good puck possession system.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This team misses Parise's SPARK more than his actual goals.

Lou gets my defense because there was nary a person on these boards who showed true trepidation about our forward corps. Did some posters have some concerns about losing Parise and Sykora? Sure there were, but the general consensus was that a full season of Zidlicky + Henrique + Josefson (progressing) + CBGB + healthy Zajac would overcome that lost goal production. Nearly everyone on these boards felt fairly confident in that. Obviously Lou did too. In hindsight it didn't work out that way. The other piece of it is that none of us can say that Lou didn't try to address it and just simply failed to convince anyone of value to sign here. One questionable offseason does not make him an "average" GM.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Funny you mention Patty cause he's annoyed me too. He keeps slamming his stick, and that's the most emotion I've seen from him lately. Take that **** out on the ice man. It sucks cause he wasn't even in the clouds during the Maclean era.

Marty is still kicking, and that's the best we have to hope for. I just don't wanna see him end this season with some 898 save percentage, and have people talking about how he's been a below average goalie for 3 years, and all Summer hearing about how he's done despite no one really complaining about him now during the season. I get annoyed when he rolls over with the pad stack like that too. Though he may not have had a chance anyway. Plus the 1993, and 2003 Marty do that too the same way, and don't make the save 8 times out of 10. It kinda annoyed me back in 93 when he did that too for no reason, but what are you gonna do?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pete gets a pass this season but he needs to upgrade his staff.

Lou has his teams miss the playoffs two out of the last three seasons more than likely, his run may be coming to an end sooner than we think.

Best GM for a long period of time but has made some god awful decisions lately.

SchneidsAndHynes35

Feb 24, 2013
Not that it has been specifically brought up in this thread, but to those pointing at fact that Lou has failed to beign in top 6 talent via free-agency

A: Takes 2 sides to get a deal done. This isn't NHL 13. More factors than just money
B: Would you really want to overpay, when paying free agents big money in recent memory (with exception of Kovalchuk) has never paid off for this franchise

SchneidsAndHynes35

Feb 24, 2013
Best GM for a long period of time but has made some god awful decisions lately

With the exception of having 8 dman, cue me in on the "awful decisions" he has made. I bet I can refute most, if not all of them, with logic. Not trying to pick on you, but hate that people blame Lou for EVERYTHING

rtr1105

1995 • 2000 • 2003
Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey, USA
Well it was a tough loss. Our forecheck was relentless defense was a different story. Just gonna bullet my thoughts so this thing doesn't get cluttered.

-Greene was responsible for that first goal, but otherwise he played well.

-Second goal allowed Volch should've been in front of the net to help out Zids who was covering the man with the puck. Also Zajac wasn't tenacious enough on Ott in the slot.

-Larsson looked pretty good out there. His shot creates good rebounds, we just need guys to corral them.

-Fayne was good defensively once again. And great shot on his shorty.

-Bench Sal and Volch. They're slow and terrible. Sal made one really good backcheck today I'll give him credit for, but otherwise both guys are liabilities.

-Zubrus and Bernier were the best forwards out there. Great play by Zubrus to set up Fayne and very good forecheck and puck possession. Bernier also created very good chances all game.

-Clarky is getting better. He just needs to finish and stop making stupid mistakes. His physical game is there.

-Zajac is a factor once again offensively. He's moving the puck around and is forechecking pretty well. Just needs to get more physical in front of the net.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I won't bother quoting those that made the comments in the GDT but I saw a few comparisons to the Kings of last season. I do see some similarities if I look really hard but truth is there aren't many. The Kings were projected to finish near the top of the conference before the season started, and looking that their lineup rightfully so. They were just a team that greatly underachieved until late in the season and in the playoffs. The Devils were projected to finish around 6th-10th place this season, right where we are now. Are players underachieving? Yes. But this team was never projected to be anything special like the Kings were.

I assume those posters were just talking about sneaking into the post-season like the Kings, but I just wanted to point out the vast differences.

The number one non-similarity is that the Kings had 82 games to squeeze their way into the playoffs. And went shopping at Neiman Marcus to get Jeff Carter at the deadline. While we have 48 games and went shopping at Woolworth's to upgrade our offense. Plus we have a freaking Kings castoff as our #1 center, what does that tell you? :laugh:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The number one non-similarity is that the Kings had 82 games to squeeze their way into the playoffs. And went shopping at Neiman Marcus to get Jeff Carter at the deadline. While we have 48 games and went shopping at Woolworth's to upgrade our offense. Plus we have a freaking Kings castoff as our #1 center, what does that tell you? :laugh:

Aha no arguments from me, I agree wholeheartedly. The Kings' roster was one meant to make the playoffs and do well in them. The Devils' roster? Not so much.

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
Judging from the comments we just got mathematically eliminated. Yes we're 2 points behind the rags and isles and the rags have a game in hand, but we also have two 4 point games vs the rangers...and I can't believe that the isles can stay hot the rest of the way...one isles loss and one devils win and we're tied with them...sadly ROW's might bite us, but it's not over yet...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Refute the cap hell he put us in 2 years ago

Most of that was Langenbummer refusing to waive his no trade clause, but not signing one of Volchenkov, or Tallinder probably would have helped. Then the awful Rolston contract. I give Lou credit for that signing, but the other part of me doesn't. He made a good effort to sign a player to improve the team, but the money was too much. Then Rolston aged 100 years after he got off the plane and got to Jersey. Can't say it was Lou's fault there though. That's the gamble with old players like that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Judging from the comments we just got mathematically eliminated. Yes we're 2 points behind the rags and isles and the rags have a game in hand, but we also have two 4 point games vs the rangers...and I can't believe that the isles can stay hot the rest of the way...one isles loss and one devils win and we're tied with them...sadly ROW's might bite us, but it's not over yet...

Three points behind. We'll never have the tiebreaker on anyone so everything's a minus one from here on in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad