Post-Game Talk: Devils lose another SO to Sabres

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What makes you think they do ? I've seen a team desperate to score before OT ends personally. And they gave Buffalo 2 or 3 odd man rush because of that.

Overtime had to be the only 5 minutes of the game where I didn't see much extended pressure in Buffalo's zone from the Devils. Now I didn't watch the first 10-12 minutes either so maybe they didn't then. The last few OT's other than some good pressure against Ottawa it's seemed that way. To be fair against Tampa Bay we had to kill a penalty, but in Florida I don't even think we gained their zone at all in the first minute of OT, and it ended shortly after.

NC107*

There is a saying "don't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit". This season Lou did exactly that he made the Devils team (chicken salad) FROM players (chicken $hit) and we didn't get a good team. Very little talent to go around. Lets start with two 40 year old goalies. Lets not replace two scorers from the first and second lines of 2011. Lets get a bunch of third and fourth line players. What do you get ( not chicken salad)!!!!!!

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
It's really getting unbearable. For awhile I felt like the team was just losing their drive, but it's clear now that it's a combination of a lack of talent in some spots, age in others, and a lot of our more productive players just becoming insanely tentative and afraid of not being perfect. Other teams seem to get garbage goals, we seem to have to get things JUST right.

We trudge along, and I feel like this.
tumblr_mfbofwRP8y1qcbdv2o1_250.gif

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
All I know is that back on March 13 I felt that everything was going to be awesome.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There is a saying "don't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit". This season Lou did exactly that he made the Devils team (chicken salad) FROM players (chicken $hit) and we didn't get a good team. Very little talent to go around. Lets start with two 40 year old goalies. Lets not replace two scorers from the first and second lines of 2011. Lets get a bunch of third and fourth line players. What do you get ( not chicken salad)!!!!!!

I don't blame Lou for the 40 year old goalies. Who would have been a better backup than Moose? Biron? Clemmensen? Those two ****in blow. The Rangers would go to **** too if they had Biron starting for a month if Lundqvist was injured. That's on Pete for not trying to change it up, and give one of the kids a start. Though I still find it hard to blame Moose. Take the Philly game out of it, and we scored 1.83 goals a game for him. We've scored at just about that clip with Marty back too.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

murray is a UFA. Volch and tally are signed and the cap comes crashing down next year

groundhog day

There are teams who are looking to add players with a extra year... like Dallas for example who landed Cole in exchange for Ryder.

Moving Volch alone is just impossible and I'm hoping we amnesty his ass the second we'll be able to do so but in regards to Tallinder, he's not that brutal and his contract isn't either.

You underestimate Murray a tad, but I get your point. I think more than anything, Lou not moving a defenseman for a pick or two says more about the defensemen in Albany than anything else. It would appear that Urbom and Gelinas aren't ready for the show. And, especially in Urbom's case, might never be. If he was ready, then I think Lou would've moved somebody to make room.

Having 8 d-men means that even if someone goes down, you're left with a extra body who can't play. He had to move at least one d-men before the deadline and he didn't... wich isn't helping us ATM while the extra pick could've helped us at the draft if we wanted to move up or just adding another prospect in our pool of no name forwards wouldn't of hurt as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't want them to rush Ilya back. They better make sure he's ready to play, guy still hasn't fully recovered from his broken back yet.

I don't know why people keep saying that. He played every game in the KHL, played 25 minutes every game here. If there was an issue he wouldn't have played in Russia and PDB wouldn't be running up his icetime to ungodly levels.

But yeah they really need to avoid Jagr-ing Kovy (circa from the 2006 playoffs) down the stretch.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I don't know why people keep saying that. He played every game in the KHL, played 25 minutes every game here. If there was an issue he wouldn't have played in Russia and PDB wouldn't be running up his icetime to ungodly levels.

But yeah they really need to avoid Jagr-ing Kovy (circa from the 2006 playoffs) down the stretch.

IMO he needed a lot more time to recover. Re-watch a game of the regular season last year, especially when Kovalchuk was beast mode and you'll see a stunning difference in his skating. Yes he played in the KHL too, but what you gonna do, this guy's addicted to the game and a f'ing warrior, if you listen to him, resting is for the weak.

Sadly he was slowly going back to his former self one or two games before he injured his shoulder.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The Devils would be doing themselves a favor by getting the best possible draft position and not make the playoffs. I see some lean years ahead as well as Lou retiring in a few years, which might not be a bad thing. Time for some new blood.

I know we made the finals last season, but as posted, Zach should have been traded when he signed that one year deal and he should have trade Clarkson and Elias at the deadline. You could see this team was falling apart.

Trade Elias? What is this I don't even...

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't blame Lou for the 40 year old goalies. Who would have been a better backup than Moose? Biron? Clemmensen? Those two ****in blow. The Rangers would go to **** too if they had Biron starting for a month if Lundqvist was injured. That's on Pete for not trying to change it up, and give one of the kids a start. Though I still find it hard to blame Moose. Take the Philly game out of it, and we scored 1.83 goals a game for him. We've scored at just about that clip with Marty back too.

Lou signed the netminders that are a year or two from retirement and we have nothing to replace them with. Marty wasn't going anywhere and it would've been the best of time to land someone like Bernier from L.A.

You have Marty who's aging but can still give you solid starts and you have a youngsters who's learning from the best who ever played the position on a day to day basis and can step in whitout steping on Marty's ego cause everyone knows he can't handle 70+ games a year AND the postseason.

With a very late pick, that was the opportune time for Lou to keep the pick, move it with another asset and give the Kings a package that would satisfy them in return for their, at the time, backup. Now that Bernier is actually outplaying Quick, I don't see Lombardi giving him away for anything else but a overpaiement.

Oh well, let's just see what'll happen in the next 24 months from now ;)

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The Devils would be doing themselves a favor by getting the best possible draft position and not make the playoffs. I see some lean years ahead as well as Lou retiring in a few years, which might not be a bad thing. Time for some new blood.

I know we made the finals last season, but as posted, Zach should have been traded when he signed that one year deal and he should have trade Clarkson and Elias at the deadline. You could see this team was falling apart.

Does this post exist if the Devils win the lottery that is the NHL shootout?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We just don't have shooters that are good enough in the shootout, and the goaltending hasn't been good but not as bad as the shooters. We lost Parise, and Kovalchuk came back to earth from his ridiculous percentage last year.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
We just don't have shooters that are good enough in the shootout, and the goaltending hasn't been good but not as bad as the shooters. We lost Parise, and Kovalchuk came back to earth from his ridiculous percentage last year.

We have the same shootout team as last year, minus Parise. Parise is good in the shootout, but going from Parise to Zajac/Henrique does not explain a 12-4 record to a 2-7 record.

And Kovalchuk's regression is the point I'm trying to highlight. A lot of the difference in points can be attributed to luck.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
:facepalm: We're complaining about our drafting since the lockout, yet we want to tank to get a higher pick

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I understand how some of you feel losing in the better alternative, but I can't agree with that, and if you've been a fan long enough, it really should be the furthest thing from your mind. Maybe I feel that way because it's all I know from following NJ, but the Devils just don't do business that way. They haven't done it that way since 1987 and they won't do it that way as long as Lou is around. Hoping for, or thinking anything differently is pointless because you just won't ever see that type of behavior from this franchise. I'm not suggesting Lou's moves and decisions can't be questioned or critiqued, but when you look at the body of work, Lou's way has brought success. It's tried and tested, so why abandon it now? 5 cup appearances in 17 years speaks for itself and they were one goal away from 6 in 18.

The worst thing is if the Devils start playing meaningless games. Luckily, even with all of the losing, they haven't reached that point yet. If they make it to the last day of the season and miss out, so be it. I just want to see them go full throttle to try and make it. Winning hockey games is the point and focus of this entire thing.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
just looked at the standings.....sabres only 2 pts behind....yes...... the sabres!!!!.........HOW ****IN PATHETIC this devils team.

score some goals......grow some balls......win a ****ing game. :rant:

:dunno:

ya im right pissed

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Apparently a 7-game losing streak brings out the stupid in people. Holy mackerel there are some real gems in this thread.

For a bunch of fans who claim to know more about hockey than the average Joe at a game, I've read some of most delusional statements in these 150 or so posts.

I'm not going to elaborate and if this is flaming or whatever then delete the post. I'm not trying to start a war, I just think many people around here act as if they know things that there is no way in hell they possibly could.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
just looked at the standings.....sabres only 2 pts behind....yes...... the sabres!!!!.........HOW ****IN PATHETIC this devils team.

score some goals......grow some balls......win a ****ing game. :rant:

:dunno:

ya im right pissed
Ugh I know. I remember when we were already doing bad, but Buffalo was still universes behind us.:help:

Read this again, Lou.

Just read *THIS* again.

You're telling me we have no right to PANIC and be PISSED? :shakehead
Something that hasn't happened since 1986. Some people here weren't alive, and some people like me were running from girls on the playground cause we thought we would catch cooties. The Mets have won a world series since the Devils last lost 7 straight games! Think about that for a second, and let it sink in!:laugh:

NC107*

Hello what did you say? I say Lou screwed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad