Dreger: Devils looking for a 2nd for Johansson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Hudon is worthless in terms of his current value. He's been scratched left and right by Julien.

He's not a scrub but the Devils can get a much better deal IMO.
Well Hudon isn't there for his value, he's there because we'd need to clear a roster spot and a contract to get MoJo. The asset interesting for you is the 3rd that'd become a 2nd if we resign him. No interest in giving a 2nd straight up for him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
That’s not how rebuilding teams operate. All expiring contracts must go.

Shero just moved Kinkaid for a late round draft pick that won’t be relevant until 2024 presidential hopefuls are announcing their candidacies. Think about that.

He will try to get the most he can, but he’ll certainly move Johansson even if the return sucks.
Were you not here for Zach P.?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
"All expiring contracts must go"

You removed context. My full quote was:

"That’s not how rebuilding teams operate. All expiring contracts must go."

We're a rebuilding team; therefore, all expiring contracts must go.

We were not a rebuilding team in 2012; in fact, we were within 2 wins of the Stanley Cup. That year, we held onto our expiring contracts.

:dunce:

I can't believe this has to be explained.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
You removed context. My full quote was:

"That’s not how rebuilding teams operate. All expiring contracts must go."

We're a rebuilding team; therefore, all expiring contracts must go.

We were not a rebuilding team in 2012; in fact, we were within 2 wins of the Stanley Cup. That year, we held onto our expiring contracts.

:dunce:

I can't believe this has to be explained.
Quite honestly this team was never rebuilding. And its the reason why we are in a 7 year rebuild. ZP and IK help us become this with the help of LL picking up "Vets". Lou also let plenty a player go.
Moving expiring contracts is a new thing here, don't pretend its teh norm.
Shero wont take just anything fro MoJo its already been noted.
And if you think that we really had a chance against LA that year I cant help you

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Quite honestly this team was never rebuilding. And its the reason why we are in a 7 year rebuild. ZP and IK help us become this with the help of LL picking up "Vets". Lou also let plenty a player go.
Moving expiring contracts is a new thing here, don't pretend its teh norm.
Shero wont take just anything fro MoJo its already been noted.
And if you think that we really had a chance against LA that year I cant help you

Your tangents have nothing to do with my argument that rebuilding teams selling their expiring contracts is standard protocol.

If Shero has to choose between a 3rd for Johansson or nothing, he takes the 3rd. We're a rebuilding team.

Again, I don't understand what's so difficult about this.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Your tangents have nothing to do with my argument that rebuilding teams selling their expiring contracts is standard protocol.

If Shero has to choose between a 3rd for Johansson or nothing, he takes the 3rd. We're a rebuilding team.

Again, I don't understand what's so difficult about this.

Not trading Johansson gives the Devils a marginally better chance at re-signing him. Also, not trading him for a meaningless return sends a message to GMs in the future that you can't wait until the last minute and get a good player at a bargain basement price.

There is a 95% chance that that third round pick does not turn into anything better than a replacement level player, so it in all likelihood will not aid the "rebuild" in any meaningful way.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Not trading Johansson gives the Devils a marginally better chance at re-signing him. Also, not trading him for a meaningless return sends a message to GMs in the future that you can't wait until the last minute and get a good player at a bargain basement price.

There is a 95% chance that that third round pick does not turn into anything better than a replacement level player, so it in all likelihood will not aid the "rebuild" in any meaningful way.

It’s not about getting a “marginally better chance” at re-signing him. It’s not about conveying a message to other GMs. It’s not about that 3rd round pick turning into a replacement player.

It’s about accumulating draft capital to use in trades at Draft Day... which has been a strong suit for Shero. Giving Shero as much flexibility as possible, and as much trade ammo as possible, is the objective here.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Even with the market for forward he's worth a 2nd for sure, only issue is that he's the most likely candidate to pull a Zuccarello 1st night with his new team

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
It’s not about getting a “marginally better chance” at re-signing him. It’s not about conveying a message to other GMs. It’s not about that 3rd round pick turning into a replacement player.

It’s about accumulating draft capital to use in trades at Draft Day... which has been a strong suit for Shero. Giving Shero as much flexibility as possible, and as much trade ammo as possible, is the objective here.

I know you don't think it's about those things, but it is. The Devils already have two third rounders and two second rounders. He has all the "draft capital" he needs to make some other moves if he wants.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I know you don't think it's about those things, but it is. The Devils already have two third rounders and two second rounders. He has all the "draft capital" he needs to make some other moves if he wants.

What do you mean he has “all that he needs”?

Why are we capping the number of draft picks we’re allowed to have? Why not add to the stockpile?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
What do you mean he has “all that he needs”?

Why are we capping the number of draft picks we’re allowed to have? Why not add to the stockpile?

It's not capping the number of picks. The point is that there is a downside to accepting a return that is too low for a player of his caliber even in the last year of his deal. That downside is not made up for by having yet another third round pick, where you already have a lot of non-first round picks that you can only do so much with and where you are unlikely to get a player that's any better than someone you can get off the waiver wire.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's not capping the number of picks. The point is that there is a downside to accepting a return that is too low for a player of his caliber even in the last year of his deal. That downside is not made up for by having yet another third round pick, where you already have a lot of non-first round picks that you can only do so much with and where you are unlikely to get a player that's any better than someone you can get off the waiver wire.
Having one extra 2nd and one extra 3rd isn't "a lot of picks".

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I still wouldn't be surprised to see Johansson to NYI. They're not going to give up Dobson on a rental, and that is apparently what Ottawa has wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad