GDT: Devils @ Kings, 1030 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He's a +4 5v5 while getting very unfavorable situational oppurtunities.

The idea that his overall game stinks is bunk. He plays a caveman game, no doubt, but he's effective in that role.
We’re a top 5 team in the league this year, basically everyone is positive at 5 on 5. His overall game just stinks. Zetterlund plays just as hard but he has brain activity.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I like Wood and think he’s been an important piece for the room from a leadership perspective, especially with what he has said to the media during the downturns of the season that we’ve had.

All that said, I do think his limitations as a player have been at the forefront as of late. He is a north-south player who doesn’t create enough for his linemates regularly. By no means is he a bad player, he’s a limited one. And investing in him further is going to really come down to what he’s willing to be flexible about. A long term contract is a tough sell and so is a raise in his cap hit.

It’ll be interesting to see how things end up in the summer.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Watched the little feature on the win yest from YT

The radio guy (what's his name again?) sounds a bit improved on his goal calls (though he might be stealing a page from the Utica pbp)

Yelling the word "Score" is a goal call?

Still want to know who's nephew Sam is?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
112 point pace currently.

Would love to see the Devils finish atop the Metro. Swap Philly for Carolina, and it's kinda like the early-mid 90s again. Rangers good but fading. Isles heading toward irrelevance.

I do miss those battles against Philly though. Devils - Flyers was a such a fun rivalry. Legion of Doom vs Devils defense. Gagne vs Elias. Even a bit of Parise vs Giroux. 15 out of 16 seasons, either Philly or NJ won the Atlantic.
Think the Flyers will be relevant again soon enough. May be out of runway for this year but second year of Torts could see them being a playoff team again.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wood shouldn't even get $4 million for anybody

Mason Marchment a year younger than Wood will be this offseason got $4.5 million for 4 years, which was I thought A LOT, but I think we all know he only got that because he scored 47 points in 54 games last year.

He's been solid this year, even though not as good as that year last season which was in all likelihood by far a career year.

But he only played 37 NHL games before last year.

Wood has the much longer NHL track record, but he also never had a season like Marchment did last year, which clearly got him that much.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Oh, don't get me wrong, he's not 3 points and 1 goal in his last 18 games bad. I know that.

But he's also not 13 points/6 goals in 24 games good either, like he was before this stretch.

As I always say, market corrections. He's now at about his career norms after this stretch and not on pace for 44 points and 21 goals.

And actually, 6 of his 7 goals came in the first 14 games. That was a 35 goal pace and 53 point pace after 14 games.

Yes, I know he's not as bad as his recent stretch, just like he's not anywhere near as good as his first 24 or 14 games.

And now he's pacing right around his career norms. This stretch has brought him right to his career averages.
I just need to know why he is on pp2 .

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If they insist on putting a big body in front on the PP it should be Bastian, hopefully when he returns it means no more Wood on the PP.

Alos how the hell does LA have 56 points? I didn't think they looked really good at all last night, despite what the shots said. Are they just feasting on easy wins vs ANA and SJ?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If they insist on putting a big body in front on the PP it should be Bastian, hopefully when he returns it means no more Wood on the PP.

Alos how the hell does LA have 56 points? I didn't think they looked really good at all last night, despite what the shots said. Are they just feasting on easy wins vs ANA and SJ?

I think they were running Bastian PP1 and Wood PP2 at the same time so I'm not sure it changes anything. Maybe it does because Palat is also back now

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

This has to play into it at least a little.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Think the Flyers will be relevant again soon enough. May be out of runway for this year but second year of Torts could see them being a playoff team again.

Unless Philly wins the Bedard lottery they will be a basement team for around 5 years - Torts will be long gone by then.

Almost all of their skaters are abysmal and their front office is laughably bad at evaluating players.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Speed, entries and sog's.

The 2nd unit doesn't set up often. So his ineffectiveness in a PP set isn't all that much of a consideration.
Wood is entry poison on the PP. He has trouble controlling passes given to him and if he does enter the zone he’s likely to just throw the puck anywhere negating any advantage gained by skating the entry in. He’s a reason his powerplay units struggle to set up.

Speed isn’t really that important on the PP as the offensive players are usually not skating much.

Wood doesn’t have a good shot so I hope he’s not taking many shots.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood is entry poison on the PP. He has trouble controlling passes given to him and if he does enter the zone he’s likely to just throw the puck anywhere negating any advantage gained by skating the entry in. He’s a reason his powerplay units struggle to set up.

Speed isn’t really that important on the PP as the offensive players are usually not skating much.

Wood doesn’t have a good shot so I hope he’s not taking many shots.
It's important on entries. And while both the 1st and 2nd unit will need to enter the zone, the 2nd unit will do so more on a per minute basis.

2nd units don't set up in the zone nearly as much as top units.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
49811.jpg

Well said my friend. The only thing I disagree is that they may be out of runway for this year. I think they very well could be in a playoff spot by the all star break. Just like Bill Spaulding said on the broadcast last night. They've gotten themselves back into the conversation.

Wouldn't surprise me to see all of NYb, FLA, BUF and Philthy go undefeated through the break. And remember Torts knows how to beat the NJD better than anybody over the last 20 years. Nobody has refused to lose to the NJD as much as he has over the last 20 years.

So everyone needs to buckle up and prepare for a war in the second half. FLA didn't forget 2018 and they'll be out for payback the remainder of this season. Book it.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It's important on entries. And while both the 1st and 2nd unit will need to enter the zone, the 2nd unit will do so more on a per minute basis.

2nd units don't set up in the zone nearly as much as top units.
Even on entries guys are rarely skating at full speed, they’re going fast but also in control so they can stay agile.

And Wood is awful on helping entries so him being fast hasn’t helped him. Wood isn’t a torpedo on the entries so if he gets the puck on entries he’s often standing still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad