GDT: Devils @ Kings, 1030 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When I think of championship teams who shined on the road in the playoffs, first team that always pops in my head is the 1995 Devils, we went 10-1 on the road to our first cup.
2000 low-key nearly matched that at 10-2

The funny thing is I don't remember either of those teams being particularly great on the road compared to home in the regular season - and my memory was correct, the 1995 Devils were 8-14-2 on the road in the regular season and the '99-00 Devils were 17-15-5-4 (god damn these four-column records)

Camille the Eel

Didn't he actually lead the league in plus-minus a couple years ago in Colorado? Once is an accident but maybe twice (with two different teams, no less) we can make the argument is a trend? I'm as skeptical of plus-minus as the next guy but...
Graves is playing well. And we missed him during his brief absence, which is another test. I'm surprised to say it of course.

File under quibbling since we won last night, but where was Severson on that first power play goal? I mean he was nowhere. And if we want to look at something to improve, the penalty kill looked poor last night. Scored on twice and a third time, at the end of the first period, Blackwood stood on his head. We certainly don't pressure the points, do we, and that's probably a tactical decision on how we set up. But if we don't then block the seam passes we're getting nothing in the trade off.

But also, Drew Doughty is a great power play QB. I mean . . . just watch the fluid way he moves out there, like inevitability, and draws the formation against him out of position and moves the puck at the precise moment. He is so dynamic. Maybe Luke will get this way for us some day.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm over Wood

But I'll gladly take whatever he can contribute the rest of this year, but really don't want him back and can't believe it was ever suggested to give him $4 million a year. Especially after we dodged giving Zacha what I was saying would be potentially $4 million per year. Which he wound up getting close to a million more than that per year.

And this is really not saying much, but Zacha is better than Wood.........

But a 28 year old player of his caliber and style (probably isn't gonna age well) for $4 million a year that averages about 30 points per year is just....... no.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Terrible players aren't +30
There was one year that Mark Fraser was leading the league in plus/minus after like so many games. I don't think he finished in the league lead and it was the lockout season, so it was shortened, but he was a +18 for the Leafs that year. And I remember people saying they hope he does win the plus minus award, just to show how absurd the stat was that a no talent pissant like Fraser could lead the league in plus minus.

Obviously Graves isn't anywhere near Mark Fraser levels (who the f*** is?), but I don't think he's that great either.

I mean, he's been good here, but good enough that I wanna re-sign him? Not really. At least not for anything too much.

I know we're probably gonna bring back some of these UFA's, especially after a season like this, but I also don't want us locking guys up like cup teams/cup finalists tend to do after their cup/finals years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm over Wood

But I'll gladly take whatever he can contribute the rest of this year, but really don't want him back and can't believe it was ever suggested to give him $4 million a year. Especially after we dodged giving Zacha what I was saying would be potentially $4 million per year. Which he wound up getting close to a million more than that per year.

And this is really not saying much, but Zacha is better than Wood.........

But a 28 year old player of his caliber and style (probably isn't gonna age well) for $4 million a year that averages about 30 points per year is just....... no.
The Wood hate is easy when he's shooting 2% over a 10 game stretch.

Similarly the love is easy when he's shooting 20% over a 10 game stretch.

I hope he is back and figure he will be. What contract he gets will depend to some extent on how he produces the rest of the year, and what he contributes in the playoffs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Wood hate is easy when he's shooting 2% over a 10 game stretch.

Similarly the love is easy when he's shooting 20% over a 10 game stretch.

I hope he is back and figure he will be. What contract he gets will depend to some extent on how he produces the rest of the year, and what he contributes in the playoffs.
Oh, don't get me wrong, he's not 3 points and 1 goal in his last 18 games bad. I know that.

But he's also not 13 points/6 goals in 24 games good either, like he was before this stretch.

As I always say, market corrections. He's now at about his career norms after this stretch and not on pace for 44 points and 21 goals.

And actually, 6 of his 7 goals came in the first 14 games. That was a 35 goal pace and 53 point pace after 14 games.

Yes, I know he's not as bad as his recent stretch, just like he's not anywhere near as good as his first 24 or 14 games.

And now he's pacing right around his career norms. This stretch has brought him right to his career averages.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Oh, don't get me wrong, he's not 3 points and 1 goal in his last 18 games bad. I know that.

But he's also not 13 points/6 goals in 24 games good either, like he was before this stretch.

As I always say, market corrections. He's now at about his career norms after this stretch and not on pace for 44 points and 21 goals.

And actually, 6 of his 7 goals came in the first 14 games. That was a 35 goal pace and 53 point pace after 14 games.

Yes, I know he's not as bad as his recent stretch, just like he's not anywhere near as good as his first 24 or 14 games.

And now he's pacing right around his career norms. This stretch has brought him right to his career averages.
Strictly ES goals playing down the lineup.

Offensive production despite the lack of offensive usage. People underrate his contributions.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Resisted the urge to fight LA weather/traffic and invited myself over to a friend's place. They had the main TV on the Chargers/Jaguars while I was happily watching the Devils game. Good thing I've been emotionally divested from football since 2017.

Flying up to San Jose on Monday morning for the next game. Hopefully the boys can get a California sweep.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Offensive production despite the lack of offensive usage. People underrate his contributions.
I swear we've used him on the power play just recently, unless that was a mirage. Wasn't he just on it the other night?

Are you talking his career in general? Or just this year?

Yes, his points per minute in his career and this year aren't at all bad, but it's pretty reasonable to believe this is a player that won't age well and really isn't worth a whole lot of term or $4 million dollars.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Graves isn’t terrible but his +\- is being driven by a PDO heater. His PDO is at 107.2 at even strength and I don’t think he’s a big factor for the 12.6% shooting percentage when he’s on the ice nor the 94.6% save percentage.
But he ain't terrible like someone said that's my point.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I think his contributions are overrated, especially if you just look at goals/60 or whatever. He seems to wreck the line he’s on or the PP unit (why in god’s name he’s on it, I don’t know). When he’s out there it’s like there’s a possibility of a one and done rush chance or nothing. Rarely is offense sustained in the zone.

I don’t even think he’s that effective of a forechecker either. Boqvist has noticeably passed him in that regard.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I swear we've used him on the power play just recently, unless that was a mirage. Wasn't he just on it the other night?

Are you talking his career in general? Or just this year?

Yes, his points per minute in his career and this year aren't at all bad, but it's pretty reasonable to believe this is a player that won't age well and really isn't worth a whole lot of term or $4 million dollars.
He's 27. I'm not that worried how he ages over a the course of a 4 year deal.

He does play 2nd unit PP, which doesn't produce at all. So he's not doing much there, but the unit in general is ineffective.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Didn't he actually lead the league in plus-minus a couple years ago in Colorado? Once is an accident but maybe twice (with two different teams, no less) we can make the argument is a trend? I'm as skeptical of plus-minus as the next guy but...
He did. I picked him up in Fantasy that that bc he had like +46.

I don't think it's a fluke. I think his positioning, reach and stickwork are underrated. He's had a few really important blocks in each of our recent wins too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's 27. I'm not that worried how he ages over a the course of a 4 year deal.

He does play 2nd unit PP, which doesn't produce at all. So he's not doing much there, but the unit in general is ineffective.
4 years is too much for him. Guys like him fall apart younger than most players. So 28 (which he'll be by next year) is older than 28 for a player like him.

I don't even know if he'd get a 4 year deal on the market if he finishes with the 31 points he's currently pacing for. And if he does, I think it would be for less than $4 million a year with that kind of term.

But there's plenty of dumb GM's out there and David Clarkson got $5 million (and reportedly offers of $6 from Columbus and Edmonton) 10 years ago and with a cap that was like $15 million or something (maybe even $20 million? Don't remember what the cap was back then) less, so it could happen. But that's an extreme comparison, as Clarkson is arguably the worst UFA contract of the salary cap era.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think his contributions are overrated, especially if you just look at goals/60 or whatever. He seems to wreck the line he’s on or the PP unit (why in god’s name he’s on it, I don’t know). When he’s out there it’s like there’s a possibility of a one and done rush chance or nothing. Rarely is offense sustained in the zone.

I don’t even think he’s that effective of a forechecker either. Boqvist has noticeably passed him in that regard.
His goals per 60 are a tad below Tatar and Mercer, while better then Shara's and Z's.

Wood's most common center is McLeod. Tatar's most common center is Nico. Mercer's most common linemate is Hughes.

Shara's most common center is Boq(who happens to have a better goals/60 then Shara) but has played a fair amount with Hughes.

Wood is able to produce at a rate we expect from 2nd and 3rd line players while playing with 4th line players.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
4 years is too much for him. Guys like him fall apart younger than most players. So 28 (which he'll be by next year) is older than 28 for a player like him.

I don't even know if he'd get a 4 year deal on the market if he finishes with the 31 points he's currently pacing for. And if he does, I think it would be for less than $4 million a year with that kind of term.

But there's plenty of dumb GM's out there and David Clarkson got $5 million (and reportedly offers of $6 from Columbus and Edmonton) 10 years ago and with a cap that was like $15 million or something (maybe even $20 million? Don't remember what the cap was back then) less, so it could happen. But that's an extreme comparison, as Clarkson is arguably the worst UFA contract of the salary cap era.
Aight 3 years. Contract ends before he turns 31. I have no concerns about that.

Obviously not looking to sign him to a 8 year deal. The age is not a concern.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
His goals per 60 are a tad below Tatar and Mercer, while better then Shara's and Z's.

Wood's most common center is McLeod. Tatar's most common center is Nico. Mercer's most common linemate is Hughes.

Shara's most common center is Boq(who happens to have a better goals/60 then Shara) but has played a fair amount with Hughes.

Wood is able to produce at a rate we expect from 2nd and 3rd line players while playing with 4th line players.
I’m saying, if you limit your take on the player to just quoting his per 60 scoring stats, you’re missing the fact that basically every other aspect of this player’s game stinks. Those other guys all contribute in other ways.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
With Wood everything is a concern. He played 3 games last season with a concerning long term injury, is a crash and bang guy that relies on his speed, and he's already bleeding chances against.

If he loses half a step he's an anchor.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m saying, if you limit your take on the player to just quoting his per 60 scoring stats, you’re missing the fact that basically every other aspect of this player’s game stinks. Those other guys all contribute in other ways.

He's a +4 5v5 while getting very unfavorable situational oppurtunities.

The idea that his overall game stinks is bunk. He plays a caveman game, no doubt, but he's effective in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad