GDT: Devils @ Jets - Tuesday 8pm: Very Return, Such Overdue Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwidevil

Honestly rather role Barr and try and get Babcock here next year, but then in that case maybe you just keep Pete. IDK

Babcock is notorious for playing all the vets over young guys and has his favourites in Cleary and the likes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cammalleri and Jagr hit posts and I come here to see the same old "fire Pete" stuff, its just outrageous at this point :laugh:. In HF land, the head coach must physically score FOR the team I guess.

They played well, but there was no finish. It reminded me of a game from last season with Cory in net, the team sucks offensively but he makes the saves. Same deal tonight, the goaltender battled and the team in front of him couldn't put the puck in the net. It happens, reshuffle the lines a bit and get back on the horse. This team is much better on paper than what we're seeing, I still think they'll get to where they should be eventually.

By no metric was this a good game with bad luck. If Jagr or Camm buried it we would of stolen points because we were out played.

We lost bad in faceoffs. We were badly outshot and out possessed and it was all a result of bad turnovers and bad passing.

The PK was literally the only good thing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We have the potential to be better then we are and be on the top end of the bubble closer to Ottawa, Detroit and 3rd in the Metro.

There needs to be more accountability for bad play, and actual attempts to correct the very correctable mistakes in our neutral zone play.

We have a better forward group offensively and a better defensive group offensively as well. The ability to score more goals is there.

Jagr and now Camm have both pointed out the problem. The break out is sloppy and they can't connect passes leading to them wasting energy and dumping and chasing. Need to be better going up ice, and then they need to get back to funneling pucks to the net. It seems Severson is the only one still doing it and getting it on net, (greene misses the net half the time). Gely isn't even trying to launch bombs anymore.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Ahh I see I missed a Devils classic. Be outplayed for most of the game yet still keep it close, score an early 3rd period goal to close the deficit to 1, but never end up scoring the tying goal and giving up the 2 goal cushion late. Just another standard night it seems, and Deboer was happy with how they played? Colour me shocked. If it wasn't such a tough building they could have squeezed out a point :sarcasm:

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Ahh I see I missed a Devils classic. Be outplayed for most of the game yet still keep it close, score an early 3rd period goal to close the deficit to 1, but never end up scoring the tying goal and giving up the 2 goal cushion late. Just another standard night it seems, and Deboer was happy with how they played? Colour me shocked. If it wasn't such a tough building they could have squeezed out a point :sarcasm:

I constructed an Ikea table during the game and just like the Devils, a many of the parts didn't fit.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
By no metric was this a good game with bad luck. If Jagr or Camm buried it we would of stolen points because we were out played.

We lost bad in faceoffs. We were badly outshot and out possessed and it was all a result of bad turnovers and bad passing.

The PK was literally the only good thing.

Not sure how anyone could say they played well. Yeah the third was ok but they didn't even win that period. It's just enough w this coach losing streaks are common winning streaks are rare I mean how long of a rope does he have ?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Cammalleri and Jagr hit posts and I come here to see the same old "fire Pete" stuff, its just outrageous at this point :laugh:. In HF land, the head coach must physically score FOR the team I guess.

They played well, but there was no finish. It reminded me of a game from last season with Cory in net, the team sucks offensively but he makes the saves. Same deal tonight, the goaltender battled and the team in front of him couldn't put the puck in the net. It happens, reshuffle the lines a bit and get back on the horse. This team is much better on paper than what we're seeing, I still think they'll get to where they should be eventually.

how long can we be getting the same results and STILL make excuses for the coach? this is 3 straight years of the same old crap.

its enough with this guy already. they are a STAGNANT team and that is the worst place to be in sports.

how long are we going to give the "lets give it time!" thing. the season is already 1/4 gone.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
im not even gonna fret over the roster decisions at this point. i cant stand pete as a coach and he needs to ****ing go. that being said, with this roster, i am not sure anyone else would get much better results. could be wrong, but just too much mediocrity and over the hill veterans.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
We have the potential to be better then we are and be on the top end of the bubble closer to Ottawa, Detroit and 3rd in the Metro.

There needs to be more accountability for bad play, and actual attempts to correct the very correctable mistakes in our neutral zone play.

We have a better forward group offensively and a better defensive group offensively as well. The ability to score more goals is there.

Jagr and now Camm have both pointed out the problem. The break out is sloppy and they can't connect passes leading to them wasting energy and dumping and chasing. Need to be better going up ice, and then they need to get back to funneling pucks to the net. It seems Severson is the only one still doing it and getting it on net, (greene misses the net half the time). Gely isn't even trying to launch bombs anymore.
The break outs have been an issue. We don't have the guy who can carry the puck well....Thats where I think Gomez could help this team. If there is one thing he has always been able to do, it's carry the puck out of the zone and through the neutral zone. His problem was what to do with it in the O zone.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The break outs have been an issue. We don't have the guy who can carry the puck well....Thats where I think Gomez could help this team. If there is one thing he has always been able to do, it's carry the puck out of the zone and through the neutral zone. His problem was what to do with it in the O zone.

They can't make 3 passes in a row either. They don't have to because the system is get it to the red line, dump, and chase. I watched that LA/Anaheim game the other day. The passing was incredibly crisp. I was green with jealousy most of that game

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
This organization really makes me angry. I don't get how some of you are still backing this coach. Even if the majority of our problems falls elsewhere this team is BORING and so EASY to play against. That falls directly on the coach for creating this laid back atmosphere.

To me it seems everyone got complacent after the cup final run (whether you think it was fluky or not). Well the 3 year free pass should have ran out and this organization needs a shakeup. As a 26 year old devils fan I know nothing but success and great management. Call me spoiled (for those of you who witnessed the early years) or say I am overreacting (for those of you who may have been a little young for the cup years) but this mediocrity just is NOT acceptable.

The laid back country club atmosphere starts with Lou but he isn't going anywhere whether we like him or not.

This doesn't mean our situation with Lou should trickle down to the players/coaching staff.

The older players on this team have completely dragged this team down and have made it almost not watchable. Now that Sal got a mysterious LBI the next anchors on our team are Zubrus/Zidlicky. These two have been nothing other than awful. I love Elias as much as anyone but his play is VERY alarming. Jagr is LAZY but pathetically vital to this team. All 4 of them should be the next 4 to go if things stay stale after the coach is axed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That was a tough one to watch. 9 shots through the first 2 periods is abysmal.

That is one of the descriptive words I kept thinking last night.
Among others such as:

Flat, soft, weak, slow, old, bad.

Look, the team is not very talented.
It's a mediocre roster at best (C/O Lou Conte).

But, a different head coach can surely pull more out of this group with a system that better suits their attributes.

We are long overdue for a fresh look behind the bench.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Here's the issue that I have seen for 3 seasons now; PDB is playing a system with Kovy and Parise and he doesn't have them. He has not adapted to the roster that he has had in any season and he keeps trying to use the same system but it will never work without those elite players. His stubbornness is his downfall and it is obvious at this point, much sooner in reality, that he is not the guy for this team. There just isn't any reason for us to believe that this team will get any better because there has been no indication that we are. It's the same thing as the last 3 seasons, good enough to be close, bad enough to miss the playoffs by a few, and good enough to get a mediocre draft pick. Either stink up the joint and get a high pick or make the playoffs.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
so for someone who was unable to watch last night, did anyone have a "good game" for NJ?

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
so for someone who was unable to watch last night, did anyone have a "good game" for NJ?

I thought Larsson was solid again and is looking pretty comfortable with his game.

Up front Ruutu showed flashes I guess and Cammy was probably the best forward we had. Offense was a disgrace tho

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I thought Larsson was solid again and is looking pretty comfortable with his game.

Up front Ruutu showed flashes I guess and Cammy was probably the best forward we had. Offense was a disgrace tho

I thought Larsson was so-so, as he could have played the 2nd goal better.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
I thought Larsson was so-so, as he could have played the 2nd goal better.

Agreed.

Severson got plenty of (quality) shots on net and none were at the expense of his defense, which was also good.

Also on the defensive end I thought Zidlicky did a particularly nice job last night. Great game coming from an offensive defenseman.

PK was in shutdown mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad