GDT: Devils @ Jets - Tuesday 8pm: Very Return, Such Overdue Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pete is gone when fans stop buying tickets. When the get back from Vancouver, just don't go.

That literally has nothing to do with Pete's job security...Lou's never catered to the fans before and he sure as shooting ain't going to do it now.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That literally has nothing to do with Pete's job security...Lou's never catered to the fans before and he sure as shooting ain't going to do it now.

If anything, loud "fire Pete" chants will get the owners attention.

I don't think Lou fires him unless it comes from Harris

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We actually executed the system A LOT better last year. There possession numbers this season are way down and it's the same forwards as last year, with Cammalleri and Havlat added in. That's the bizarre thing about it. On paper, were better than last years team and yet the system has gone down the toilet.

That is what makes zero sense, and why I am thinking a coaching change needs to happen. Well part of the reason.

The other part is the games we are losing for the most part are all for the same reasons. A lack of basic fundamentals. The passing is piss poor, no break outs, and the defense isn't helping contribute to zone holding or any offense (outside of Greene and Severson, but they keep shooting wide). Like to see more on that front from Lars' pairing, but this is inexcusable from Zids and Gely who are literally only here for offense.

We are HORRID in the neutral zone, which is a damn joke considering the history of this franchise. Obviously part of this is on the players, but these guys are amateurs, these guys know how to connect a couple of passes going up ice.

Part has to fall on the coach too though. Needs to tweak the line up, get the guys fixing this in practice, hold guys accountable. None of this is happening and they continue to make the same mistakes.

And they did not show up to play tonight. That was a terrible first period (and watching parts of it again, the Jets were sloppy too which makes it worse). They had two days off, and we already played the Jets once this year. Zero excuse for the no show. And then to get outshot in the third while we are losing?!? GTFO with that.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Greene, Severson, and Larsson looked very good tonight on D in my opinion. Cammalleri and Ruutu stood out in a good way up front. Overall, a lethargic effort. Jets were the better team.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
guys in the room like Pete so dont expect a mutiny of any kind

Lou needs to be held accountable for this roster of slugs he's created

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Greene, Severson, and Larsson looked very good tonight on D in my opinion. Cammalleri and Ruutu stood out in a good way up front. Overall, a lethargic effort. Jets were the better team.

Advanced numbers showed the best line with Zajac's line, best pairing was Greene-Severson.

4th line and Elias line was the worst, and Henrique's was in the middle so just ineffective.

Lar-Helg was the worst Corsi wise (though part of that was they got stuck up against the Jets top line often) Zids-Gely was close to even which is bad because they are the offense guys so they should of been generating much more.

Point being outside of the top line and pairing, no one was generating enough chances towards the net, while giving up way to much away.

Or to go even simpler. Overall the team played like ****.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
guys in the room like Pete so dont expect a mutiny of any kind

Lou needs to be held accountable for this roster of slugs he's created

That's the thing, the veteran "leadership" group has been in Pete's corner the entire time. Unless that changes, or we lose 10 straight (which is entirely possible), I can see Lou being hesitant to pull the trigger.

Even then I don't know where we go. Are there any coaches currently available that we want to bring in? Do we just promote Barr as interim coach and then hire somebody in the summer? Does Lou go behind the bench again?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's the thing, the veteran "leadership" group has been in Pete's corner the entire time. Unless that changes, or we lose 10 straight (which is entirely possible), I can see Lou being hesitant to pull the trigger.

Even then I don't know where we go. Are there any coaches currently available that we want to bring in? Do we just promote Barr as interim coach and then hire somebody in the summer? Does Lou go behind the bench again?

Try and convince Lemaire to do it, or you hire Boucher or Torts. Only options unless they go rookie head coach.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The thought of Torts makes me nauseaus. Although it would be interesting to see him just rip into the team, which they could probably use right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Try and convince Lemaire to do it, or you hire Boucher or Torts. Only options unless they go rookie head coach.

Boucher is in Switzerland now coaching over there.

I wouldn't have minded Torts in the past, but I'm uneasy with the way his Vancouver tenure went. They were good, then hired him. Were good for half the season before imploding of disastrous proportions. They fired him, now they're good again.

One good thing about Torts though, he wouldn't have said this was a good game or that the 1st period was a good road period.

I still can't believe he said the 1st was a good road period. Man I still can't get over that. Seriously?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Cammalleri and Jagr hit posts and I come here to see the same old "fire Pete" stuff, its just outrageous at this point :laugh:. In HF land, the head coach must physically score FOR the team I guess.

They played well, but there was no finish. It reminded me of a game from last season with Cory in net, the team sucks offensively but he makes the saves. Same deal tonight, the goaltender battled and the team in front of him couldn't put the puck in the net. It happens, reshuffle the lines a bit and get back on the horse. This team is much better on paper than what we're seeing, I still think they'll get to where they should be eventually.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The thought of Torts makes me nauseaus. Although it would be interesting to see him just rip into the team, which they could probably use right now.

If we are going to lose anyway, I'd rather lose with Torts ripping the complacent veterans than the country club we have now.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Honestly rather role Barr and try and get Babcock here next year, but then in that case maybe you just keep Pete. IDK

I would love to get Babcock, but I'm not sure he'd be interested in coming here. Unless he wants a challenge. Or our new owners give him a blank check.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
A dejected team going back into the locker room. No fire. No energy. Long faces.

I've been back and forth on the Pete issue before but enough is enough. Finding the bright side in every loss just isn't cutting the mustard anymore. The team couldn't care less about the bright spots without the results to back it up. It's high time that someone sparks this team... Yet we've never seen Deboer do that. I've seen him get angry maybe 3 times in as many years. A change of personnel could do this team some good.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Cammalleri and Jagr hit posts and I come here to see the same old "fire Pete" stuff, its just outrageous at this point :laugh:. In HF land, the head coach must physically score FOR the team I guess.

They played well, but there was no finish. It reminded me of a game from last season with Cory in net, the team sucks offensively but he makes the saves. Same deal tonight, the goaltender battled and the team in front of him couldn't put the puck in the net. It happens, reshuffle the lines a bit and get back on the horse. This team is much better on paper than what we're seeing, I still think they'll get to where they should be eventually.

it has nothing to do with hitting post or what not. Its the way they played they had 8 shots about 2/3 of the way through the game. They didn't have any jump and were just going through the motions. when players go through the motion that is entirely on the coach because he allows it to happen

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
A dejected team going back into the locker room. No fire. No energy. Long faces.

I've been back and forth on the Pete issue before but enough is enough. Finding the bright side in every loss just isn't cutting the mustard anymore. The team couldn't care less about the bright spots without the results to back it up. It's high time that someone sparks this team... Yet we've never seen Deboer do that. I've seen him get angry maybe 3 times in as many years. A change of personnel could do this team some good.

Except the personnel has already changed radically over the last three seasons, you can't keep scrapping the board every year. When you lose two elite wingers in succession its going to take time to win. We need to be patient with this team, its a squad with not much talent and a couple of additions (and subtractions) up front and on defense that are going to take time to gel. Its mid November and they're in the playoff mix right now, give it a little more time.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

5 wins in 16 games since starting 3-0. Their gradually getting worse, not better. This is a bad hockey team that is horribly coached. Over the last two and a half years our record is that of an expansion team. Were with the Oilers and Hurricanes when it comes to winning percentage. Its a complete mess and it needs to be blown up. They haven't played a decent game, beginning to end since the Tampa game.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think Torts might be in that Ozzie Guillen type of exile but I'd probably take him at this point. At least the complacency and accepting of mediocrity would end.

He's very unprofessional with the media and I don't think Lou would ever tolerate some of his ridiculous post-game press conference antics.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
5 wins in 16 games since starting 3-0. Their gradually getting worse, not better. This is a bad hockey team that is horribly coached. Over the last two and a half years our record is that of an expansion team. Were with the Oilers and Hurricanes when it comes to winning percentage. Its a complete mess and it needs to be blown up. They haven't played a decent game, beginning to end since the Tampa game.

if they're completely out of it by the trading deadline, you make a good point - but I'm not going to subscribe to this belief on November 19th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad