GDT: Devils @ Islanders - 7 P.M. - MSG/MSGSN/Devils TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
LOL I totally forgot that Hatakka came in the Meier trade.

San Jose apparently isn't all that thrilled with Zetterlund and some of their fans think he might be waived sooner rather than later....
IMG_0769.jpeg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's going to be a long 6 days on these boards. So here are proposed topics

10/7: Pizza

10/8 Beer

10/9 mixed drinks

10/10 History and the exploits of Columbus and his introduction of the pig to the Americas. BBQ

10/11Best burger in NJ

10/12 Game Day Tacos

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
The finnish phonetic pronounciation and frasing is just so different that it's kinda hard to even try to explain, but basically every letter is pronounced, so in this case both k's as well. The frasing is something like Ha-Tak-Ka, if you think it in japanese or as Hattackah as in "attack" you don't go too wrong. But europeans and finns in particular have gotten used to weird pronounciations by foreigners, so it's not a big deal.
Interesting, I really enjoy the phonetics of languages.

I’d also like to say as someone who is from the US but lived and study in an international setting in Europe that Europeans also pronounce many English words in a strange way, they just don’t even realize it.

The word “burger” was always one of the funniest words to hears Europeans try to pronounce

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Interesting, I really enjoy the phonetics of languages.

I’d also like to say as someone who is from the US but lived and study in an international setting in Europe that Europeans also pronounce many English words in a strange way, they just don’t even realize it.

The word “burger” was always one of the funniest words to hears Europeans try to pronounce

Definitely, and also Americans don't realize that a lot of their words like (ham) burger are originally european words that they started mispronouncing :laugh:

Camille the Eel

i didnt really expect nemo to come in and win a spot (i thought hed be up later) but honestly, i do kinda view him as one of our 6 best D at this point

physicality and 1 on 1 play continue to show improvement, hes much more involved around the net, his defensive stick work, which was already great, is reaching an even better level, i mean hes basically a magnet for loose pucks in his own zone now. hes also way better with his decision making in terms of trying to skate it out of trouble vs trying to tee up a breakout pass vs just trying to chip it out to safety. i trust his offensive involvement, both in terms of frequency and aggressiveness, significantly more as well

now i do get the arguments against it, it would be a really young blue line, wed lack a reliable PK option, its a little unfair to miller since hes still acclimating to the team, and theres nothing necessarily wrong with nemo going back and getting monster all situation minutes in utica. i do get it. but with the games ive seen i do actually think his addition gives us the best chance to win relative to the alternatives
Nemec has had a great pre season. Eye opening. Definitely justifying the 2d guy taken and if there’s a redraft he maybe even goes before Slafkosky. He’s a natural, and a graceful and entertaining player. In the end, he will lift this club. You can argue he’s had a better camp than Luke, been more visible. What we do with him ? He’s waiver exempt, that may play into it.

Holtz to me has looked good. We were looking for a complete game from him away from the puck and I think we’ve gotten it.

I’m actually a little afraid of being unbeaten here. Would rather have had the streak after the season starts. But I am confident we will have it then too.

Tyce Thompson has impressed. His brother was a late bloomer too and Tyce has also had the injuries to deal with. I think he’s an NHL player who will have a respectable middle 6 career somewhere.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I’m actually a little afraid of being unbeaten here. Would rather have had the streak after the season starts. But I am confident we will have it then too.

They controlled the pace in all but the 2nd Flyers game. Thats what matters the most. My worry is actually that the teams they played are just exceptionally bad.

Game 1 against Detroit and suddenly they are playing at 2x the speed that the Rangers/Isles/Flyers play.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Definitely, and also Americans don't realize that a lot of their words like (ham) burger are originally european words that they started mispronouncing :laugh:
Except there is no connection between the food and the German city.

It’s also not the English or Germans who struggled with pronouncing it.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I’ve seen enough from Holtz. He should work on the details in Utica then come back around January-February and let’s see the progress or work on a trade.

I have trouble leaving Nemec off the big squad. It’s a better team with him starting over Miller. I’ll understand if they let him simmer but I’d rather do right by a core guy than be cute about cap problems before they occur.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's going to be a long 6 days on these boards. So here are proposed topics

10/7: Pizza

10/8 Beer

10/9 mixed drinks

10/10 History and the exploits of Columbus and his introduction of the pig to the Americas. BBQ

10/11Best burger in NJ

10/12 Game Day Tacos

You left out classic rock/metsl/punk/Irish folk crossovers

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’ve seen enough from Holtz. He should work on the details in Utica then come back around January-February and let’s see the progress or work on a trade.

I have trouble leaving Nemec off the big squad. It’s a better team with him starting over Miller. I’ll understand if they let him simmer but I’d rather do right by a core guy than be cute about cap problems before they occur.

I just don't see what Holtz is going to learn in Utica. He's been there for a full season. I don't like what I've seen out of him this preseason but I don't see how he's going to learn things at ~85% speed.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Here’s a hot take. Holtz needs to play his game. He’s focusing so hard on making sure he’s doing the little things I feel like it’s taking away is offensive ability.

The Devils need to let him go. He might be a player that you just need to live with the defensive warts and let him hunt goals.

They also need to give the kid a long look because just sending him down or sitting him will severely hurt his confidence.

Someone said it before give him the first 10 games. No matter how he plays give him is minutes and then decide if you want to give him 10 more.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Here’s a hot take. Holtz needs to play his game. He’s focusing so hard on making sure he’s doing the little things I feel like it’s taking away is offensive ability.

The Devils need to let him go. He might be a player that you just need to live with the defensive warts and let him hunt goals.

They also need to give the kid a long look because just sending him down or sitting him will severely hurt his confidence.

Someone said it before give him the first 10 games. No matter how he plays give him is minutes and then decide if you want to give him 10 more.

It would disappoint him but the reality is they likely don’t really need him until next season. Sure injuries can play a role but aside from that they have Toffoli and Mercer this season and they can find a RW3 as needed even if Zetterlund doesn’t get waived. If he percolates one more year and has intensive coaching and film work and extra practice it might not be the worst thing in the world.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Miller is a vet learning a new system. He gets the benefit of the doubt for a little while. He didn’t show signs of being bad last season I just think it’s a new place new system thing. In time he will settle in.

Nemec is a victim of a situation. I think we all agree he should probably make the roster but you gotta then trust that either he or Hughes can play on the PK and I don’t think that’s a good idea right off the bat. Plus he doesn’t need waivers. Let him go down her first PK time and first PP time. If neither Smith or Miller establishes themself in a month or so then bring him up and have at it.

It would disappoint him but the reality is they likely don’t really need him until next season. Sure injuries can play a role but aside from that they have Toffoli and Mercer this season and they can find a RW3 as needed even if Zetterlund doesn’t get waived. If he percolates one more year and has intensive coaching and film work and extra practice it might not be the worst thing in the world.

I don’t know but does he need waivers? Because if so there is no shot someone won’t grab him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

If a player is an above-average skater, they can theoretically play 'their game' and get away with it. Holtz isn't good enough at making room for himself or his linemates to do that. The only way he is going to be any good at the NHL level is playing within the constraints of a system, making good reads and good plays with the puck. He can't beat guys 1 on 1 or force defenders into mistakes. It's got to be rigorous. They should be showing him tapes of how Tomas Tatar plays.

I think Holtz has been okay-ish off the puck from what I've seen. He has been quite poor on the puck. He's made a lot of bad decisions all over the ice with it. He's not going to create offense that way.

The Devils let Reid Boucher play whatever 'his game' was at the end of 2015-16, giving him Zajac and Palmieri as his primary linemates. Boucher put up some okay counting stats, but his line was absolutely cratered defensively, and he was never used as a full time NHLer after that point. It's not going to work that way.

Reactions: Guadana

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
So do we think that there's a legit shot that hatakka makes the roster? Is that a real thing?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If a player is an above-average skater, they can theoretically play 'their game' and get away with it. Holtz isn't good enough at making room for himself or his linemates to do that. The only way he is going to be any good at the NHL level is playing within the constraints of a system, making good reads and good plays with the puck. He can't beat guys 1 on 1 or force defenders into mistakes. It's got to be rigorous. They should be showing him tapes of how Tomas Tatar plays.

I think Holtz has been okay-ish off the puck from what I've seen. He has been quite poor on the puck. He's made a lot of bad decisions all over the ice with it. He's not going to create offense that way.

He’s been the same player. He needs to get the puck in those scoring areas and release his shot. I think we all see this. I agree he’s not a Hughes Bratt or Meier where he can drive the play. It’s a big reason why so many argue he needs to be in the top 6 because he needs to play with guys like that.

Not all guys need to be burners to be good in the NHL. Toffoli is someone whom Holtz could learn a ton from. I can see their games being a lot a like.

I’m by no means arguing that this kid will be successful but he’s had success is at other levels and I get the Devils want him to be more defensively responsible but it feels like it’s adding so much more pressure that he worried about being in the wrong place and then can’t get to the right offensive position.

I guess I’m just in the mindset to let the kid play and see where it goes and what happens. As mentioned Boqvist had like 30 games and 4 points so it should hurt us to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad