GDT: Devils @ Islanders - 7 P.M. - MSG/MSGSN/Devils TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
i didnt really expect nemo to come in and win a spot (i thought hed be up later) but honestly, i do kinda view him as one of our 6 best D at this point

physicality and 1 on 1 play continue to show improvement, hes much more involved around the net, his defensive stick work, which was already great, is reaching an even better level, i mean hes basically a magnet for loose pucks in his own zone now. hes also way better with his decision making in terms of trying to skate it out of trouble vs trying to tee up a breakout pass vs just trying to chip it out to safety. i trust his offensive involvement, both in terms of frequency and aggressiveness, significantly more as well

now i do get the arguments against it, it would be a really young blue line, wed lack a reliable PK option, its a little unfair to miller since hes still acclimating to the team, and theres nothing necessarily wrong with nemo going back and getting monster all situation minutes in utica. i do get it. but with the games ive seen i do actually think his addition gives us the best chance to win relative to the alternatives

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
IMG_1794.jpeg

Great to see the NJD go undefeated in the preseason, but remember we were gifted some easy ones like MTL, Philthy twice without Torts, and the Rags playing a very slow and washed up Jon Quick instead of Shesty. The NJD have caught some very fortuitous breaks this preseason en route to 7-0-0.

The truth is this game didn’t mean much to an NYb lineup that was just looking to get through the contest healthy. When the games are for real the NJD won’t have half a lineup of AHL players desperately trying to make a name for themselves. It’ll be a tough contest. NYb will be in the playoffs yet again I’m afraid.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Ok, it isn't just me thinking he pronounces it weird. I would think it would be something like huh-TAH-kah (I'm sure one of the Finns here could clarify this though)

The finnish phonetic pronounciation and frasing is just so different that it's kinda hard to even try to explain, but basically every letter is pronounced, so in this case both k's as well. The frasing is something like Ha-Tak-Ka, if you think it in japanese or as Hattackah as in "attack" you don't go too wrong. But europeans and finns in particular have gotten used to weird pronounciations by foreigners, so it's not a big deal.

Reactions: Beastdog75

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The finnish phonetic pronounciation and frasing is just so different that it's kinda hard to even try to explain, but basically every letter is pronounced, so in this case both k's as well. The frasing is something like Ha-Tak-Ka, if you think it in japanese or as Hattackah as in "attack" you don't go too wrong. But europeans and finns in particular have gotten used to weird pronounciations by foreigners, so it's not a big deal.

most recent guide i could find:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If Holtz will not pan out and will be send to AHL for restucture his confidence, Im not against to take Zetterlund from waivers if he is still available. I believe he will perform well on the wing with Haula and Palat or even with Nico and Meier. If not - we can waive him again.
What about Wade Allison on waivers? 6-2 205, 9 goals 190 hits ~12:55 ATOI in 60 games last year. Pretty solid defensively.

Reactions: Guadana

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Holtz actually reminds me of Lafreniere.

He's been playing a very conservative defensive style so he's been able to make good defensive plays every game. He's just never in a position to easily create offense because of this.

He's stuck in this crappy middle where he's still looking for offensive plays like a top9 scorer but not often in position to do anything. He's also not fully committed to being a 4th line energy guy like Lazar/Thompson/etc who bang bodies, skate all out and are complete black holes on offense.

Lazar/Thompson/Nosek/etc. don't belong on a scoring line. They don't pass the puck. they skate to the center line and dump the puck every shift. The only other guys who I could see moving up are Foote(doesn't play at an NHL level) and Bastian(very rusty with the injury and missed time).
The best option is to just keep Holtz there and hope his offensive game gets better as he becomes more comfortable. He's never had any sustained time at the NHL level yet. At worst, he's still defensively responsible so he wont be throwing games.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

Yeah those aren't really ever that accurate for finnish, since different letters and letter combinations are pronounced differently in english, but a good guideline I suppose.

You can hear the Hatakka pronounciation in this video at 2:12

Finns themselves butcher plenty of American names, so it's always funny when they complain about finnish names being butchered :)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What about Wade Allison on waivers? 6-2 205, 9 goals 190 hits ~12:55 ATOI in 60 games last year. Pretty solid defensively.
Feels like there’s no need for Allison with Nosek, McLeod, Bastian, and Lazar, plus Tierney, Thompson, and Willman (if signed) likely in Utica.

Our depth is such a strong point now that I think we’re past dumpster diving off the waiver wire.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah those aren't really ever that accurate for finnish, since different letters and letter combinations are pronounced differently in english, but a good guideline I suppose.

You can hear the Hatakka pronounciation in this video at 2:12

Finns themselves butcher plenty of American names, so it's always funny when they complain about finnish names being butchered :)

It's too fast. They sound like they are doing an auction.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Feels like there’s no need for Allison with Nosek, McLeod, Bastian, and Lazar, plus Tierney, Thompson, and Willman (if signed) likely in Utica.

Our depth is such a strong point now that I think we’re past dumpster diving off the waiver wire.
I love the 785K cap hit. He could probably be better than most of those guys, but he has had injury issues. I could definitely see a contender making a claim.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
A bit disappointed with Colin Miller, I was hoping he had a bit more left in the tank. He was legitimately pretty good with Boston and Vegas. I think he was pretty convincingly outplayed by both Nemec and Brendan Smith, which is something I never thought I’d say.

Hopefully a sheltered bottom pairing role with limited ice time can help prop him up into a serviceable player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad