GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM - ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
if we only could get haula a real center to play with ...
That is very funny, but Haula has been playing 60%+ goals%, elite, hockey with no matter who is playing with him. Maybe it just mean that somebody has to do the dirty work?

1673446642663.png

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
That is very funny, but Haula has been playing 60%+ goals%, elite, hockey with no matter who is playing with him. Maybe it just mean that somebody has to do the dirty work?

View attachment 633505
We’ve scored way more than the other team this year with most players out there. But since he’s such an impactful player, maybe it’s best to us him as the 3C to carry his own line? What do you think, Mr. Haula?

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I wish I could see a clip of the two posts. Idiot canes fans near us kept screaming "Koochie" (which isn't even a legitimate shortening of his name) and I'm like.. that just hit the post. Referee doesn't gesture no goal on a save.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Also thought i heard someone on the intermission panel say "Richard Brodeur" but i maybe mistaken. Making some reference that even "Richard Brodeur" wouldnt make that save. During some highlights maybe around the NHL

But maybe i misheard, lol

At least Subban pumped our tires super hard. Guy still bleeds NJD right now.

I think it was in reference to one of the goals the Pens scored against the Canucks. Richard Brodeur was a Canucks goalie way back in the day.

No idea why they thought anybody would pick up on that reference though. The average ESPN viewer is far more likely to have heard of Marty, but even that can't be a given for the casual fans.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
During the broadcast, they said something very strange that really stunned me.

They said something to the effect of Jesper Bratt being one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL right now.

And I'm like :

giphy.gif

Normally you would associate a defensive forward as someone like a Zajac.

Bratt, as much as I am a fan of his, does not strike me as someone who defends all that well (though he does try).

Am I missing something here?

Yes, Monaco was no doubt referring to metrics that place Bratt as the most valuable defensive forward in the league.

Also thought i heard someone on the intermission panel say "Richard Brodeur" but i maybe mistaken. Making some reference that even "Richard Brodeur" wouldnt make that save. During some highlights maybe around the NHL

Richard Brodeur was a Vancouver goalie in the early 80s, he was generally terrible. He should never be brought up on an NHL broadcast, for this reason - nobody under 50 knows who he is.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think it was in reference to one of the goals the Pens scored against the Canucks. Richard Brodeur was a Canucks goalie way back in the day.

No idea why they thought anybody would pick up on that reference though. The average ESPN viewer is far more likely to have heard of Marty, but even that can't be a given for the casual fans.

Yes, Monaco was no doubt referring to metrics that place Bratt as the most valuable defensive forward in the league.

Richard Brodeur was a Vancouver goalie in the early 80s, he was generally terrible. He should never be brought up on an NHL broadcast, for this reason - nobody under 50 knows who he is.

I'm still under 50 by 1 decade. At least that makes sense, i though hey meant to say Marty. Then I'll give Steve Levi some props for some obscure (under 50 crowd) references!

(Thanks for the context guys)

Still not buying the Bratt thing, wow! interesting stat though...!

Bratt is definitely not the most valuable defensive forward in the league.....how did he pull that one out...

• Wow
Reactions: glenwo2

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Bratt is in fact excellent defensively.

Compared to the rest of the team, he is (per 60):
-1st best in shots against
-1st best in shot attempts against
-2nd in expected goals against
-2nd best in scoring chances against
-3rd best in goals against

This is all while being 3rd among forwards in ES ice time.

Turnovers on the PP are frustrating, but they are not the same as defense. When Bratt is on the ice, the other team gets far fewer shots and far fewer goals.

Despite what the mouth breathers on Twitter who think "SMALL EUROPEAN FORWARD = SOFT AND LAZY" say, he is actually excellent defensively. He was also great on the PK early in his career before Hynes started deploying him differently

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Bratt is in fact excellent defensively.

Compared to the rest of the team, he is (per 60):
-1st best in shots against
-1st best in shot attempts against
-2nd in expected goals against
-2nd best in scoring chances against
-3rd best in goals against

This is all while being 3rd among forwards in ES ice time.

Turnovers on the PP are frustrating, but they are not the same as defense. When Bratt is on the ice, the other team gets far fewer shots and far fewer goals.

Despite what the mouth breathers on Twitter who think "SMALL EUROPEAN FORWARD = SOFT AND LAZY" say, he is actually excellent defensively. He was also great on the PK early in his career before Hynes started deploying him differently

But technically, that doesn't mean he plays good defense. Those stats can also show the puck is on his (or his linemates's) stick more and they generate more offense zone time and chances vs. goals against. I mean you can infer either way, but we all know he and his line have the puck in ozone more, so yes it generates less goals against, etc, but not because their defense is good, but more because their offense/pressure is so good.

If they want to infer that is defense, i guess yes, but that is not really touting he defensively is best in league by defensive play.

I'd say Hughes a better forechecker than Bratt... and hounds better...

(Oh and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bratt is BAD at defense, I just find that interpretation of that meaning he is best defensive forward very misleading)

Last edited:
Reactions: Billdo and My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Compared to the rest of the league, Bratt's per 60 rates are:

-4th in expected goals for percent
-6th in shots against
-11th in Corsi against
-14th in High Danger Chances against
-18th in expected goals against

This is among all forwards who have played +150 ES minutes this season, so 426 players qualify.

Also, lmao Carolina:
1673449859912.png

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
But technically, that doesn't mean he plays good defense. Those stats show the puck is on his (or his linemates's) stick more and they generate more offense zone time and chances vs. goals against.

If they want to infer that is defense, i guess yes, but that is not really touting he defensively. That is not what the eyetest sees.

I'd say hughes is a better forechecker than Bratt... and hounds better...
I think Bratt is better able to execute what our defensive system asks of the wingers better than most.

Bratt’s quickness allows him to execute the “roaming 2/3’s of the ice” defensive style nicely. Bratt digs pucks off the boards and begins a breakout quickly and successfully more than most. Bratt is good at interfering with passes that come within his zone of influence and his zone of influence is normally where he is expected to be.

When he’s asked to be the player defending the crease he can struggle but I think all our wingers struggle there.

So I don’t think Bratt is the best defensive player in the league but I think his defense is good for what wingers are asked to do the most.

Also, that his neutral zone play adds a lot to his defense even if people don’t consider it “defense”.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think Bratt is better able to execute what our defensive system asks of the wingers better than most.

Bratt’s quickness allows him to execute the “roaming 2/3’s of the ice” defensive style nicely. Bratt digs pucks off the boards and begins a breakout quickly and successfully more than most. Bratt is good at interfering with passes that come within his zone of influence and his zone of influence is normally where he is expected to be.

When he’s asked to be the player defending the crease he can struggle but I think all our wingers struggle there.

So I don’t think Bratt is the best defensive player in the league but I think his defense is good for what wingers are asked to do the most.

Also, that his neutral zone play adds a lot to his defense even if people don’t consider it “defense”.

Sorry, I edited my post a bit more after you quoted, not intending to say Bratt is bad at defense.

I agree here.

To me, his offense can be so good, its passes as good defense because opposition has puck much less when he is on the ice. Good offense can be good defense by that measure (understood).

They should just say "Bratt/Bratt line is so good offensively that other team has no time for offense" :)

If someone didn't watch Bratt play, they could infer he is great at defense by standard assumptions by those metrics, but reality (at least what I see) is more he\his line, just generate a shit ton of offense so it looks really good in those metrics of possession vs. GA

Having speed and hound/agility skills is great defense though, I agree that is probably underrated by me more than it should. I'll watch him more defensively over the next stretch.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
But technically, that doesn't mean he plays good defense. Those stats show the puck is on his (or his linemates's) stick more and they generate more offense zone time and chances vs. goals against. I mean you can infer either way, but we all know he and his line have the puck in ozone more, so yes it generates less goals aginst, etc, but not because their defense is good, but more because their offense/pressure is so good.

If they want to infer that is defense, i guess yes, but that is not really touting he defensively. That is not what the eyetest sees.

I'd say hughes is a better forechecker than Bratt... and hounds better...

(Oh and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bratt is BAD at defense, I just find that interpretation of that meaning he is best defensive forward very misleading)
Those are different measurements, though. There are players who have good possession numbers for AND bad possession numbers against.

For example, Matthew Tkachuk is 1st best in Corsi for/60, but 368th in Corsi against/60. And likewise, there are plenty of forwards with great defensive impacts who do little to nothing offensively. So to say that a player is good offensively means there defensive numbers are automatically good is just simply not true. Those data are captured separately.

In fact, only 5 players in the league are top-15 in both Corsi for/60 and Corsi against/60:

Jesper Bratt
Jack Hughes
Andrei Svechnikov
Derek Stepan
Jack Drury

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Those are different measurements, though. There are players who have good possession numbers for AND bad possession numbers against.

For example, Matthew Tkachuk is 1st best in Corsi for/60, but 368th in Corsi against/60. And likewise, there are plenty of forwards with great defensive impacts who do little to nothing offensively. So to say that a player is good offensively means there defensive numbers are automatically good is just simply not true. Those data are captured separately.

In fact, only 5 players in the league are top-15 in both Corsi for/60 and Corsi against/60:

Jesper Bratt
Jack Hughes
Andrei Svechnikov
Derek Stepan
Jack Drury

OK, fair points (bolded) for sure.... :thumbu:

Really surprised to see Stepan there.

Makes sense for Hughes, Bratt, and Svech seems annoying at forechecking/coupled with good offense

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Monaco did not confuse Nico and Bratt. He was referencing a stat CJ Turtoro put out a day or two before on twitter

Also, Levy said Richard Brodeur in the intermission regarding the Canucks-Pens game. Richard Brodeur was a goalie for the Canucks in the 80’s that led them to a Finals run where they were ultimately swept by the Islanders. That wasn’t a screw up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Monaco did not confuse Nico and Bratt. He was referencing a stat CJ Turtoro put out a day or two before on twitter

Also, Levy said Richard Brodeur in the intermission regarding the Canucks-Pens game. Richard Brodeur was a goalie for the Canucks in the 80’s that led them to a Finals run where they were ultimately swept by the Islanders. That wasn’t a screw up.

Yup thank you. Triumph and Saugus established that i am under 50 and didnt know this. 🙂

My 80s hockey history is admittedly not up to par.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Yup thank you. Triumph and Saugus established that i am under 50 and didnt know this. 🙂

My 80s hockey history is admittedly not up to par.

Hey, I'm not that old! I just happened to know who he is because I got curious once about other players in NHL history named Brodeur.

In case you were wondering, in addition to Marty and Richard, there was also a guy named Mike Brodeur, also a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad