Devils Goaltending

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If come deadline day Fitz thinks we are really good goaltending away from winning a cup, I think he then tries hard to rent Buck if Winnipeg is selling.
Problem with this is I think Hellebuyck is that good is he'll keep Winnipeg in the wildcard playoff race.

So they may be reluctant to move him. I get the impression Peg owners would prioritze a short term cash injection first round exit over selling assets for a long term rebuild.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
He's already pretty much admitted he's keeping his eye out for one. He said he and his team discuss it every single day.
I hope NSH makes Saros available and we make a hard push for him during season. Maybe they sign him to extension and run him and Askarov for the next 4-5 years or something cause NSH feels like a team who wants to remain somewhat respectable for its market and not go full rebuild at any point. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I am 100% convinced there will be another goalie on this team by the first day of the season.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fitzgerald take advantage of the waiver wire to claim someone like Lyon or Hellberg or Stolarz. Even if they see them as a temporary 3 month fix. Someone like DeSmith would be ideal, but I wouldn’t want to give up much for him.

The NHL schedule doesn’t really start to get jam packed until January/February/March. It would almost be a waste to have Schmid up for the first few months when he can play much more regularly on the AHL. With Daws out, it’s the perfect opportunity to get Schmid in a lot of games early on.

If Gibson’s contract wasn’t so terrible, I would love him as a bounce back tandem option this season. If he were to tandem with Vanecek, I think that would be a great scenario for both. It’s just that AAV is horrendous and even at 50% retention, he’s a huge risk with that term.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I am 100% convinced there will be another goalie on this team by the first day of the season.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fitzgerald take advantage of the waiver wire to claim someone like Lyon or Hellberg or Stolarz. Even if they see them as a temporary 3 month fix. Someone like DeSmith would be ideal, but I wouldn’t want to give up much for him.

The NHL schedule doesn’t really start to get jam packed until January/February/March. It would almost be a waste to have Schmid up for the first few months when he can play much more regularly on the AHL. With Daws out, it’s the perfect opportunity to get Schmid in a lot of games early on.

If Gibson’s contract wasn’t so terrible, I would love him as a bounce back tandem option this season. If he were to tandem with Vanecek, I think that would be a great scenario for both. It’s just that AAV is horrendous and even at 50% retention, he’s a huge risk with that term.
This. There are journeymen available as a stop gap for less than what it would cost to trade for one.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This. There are journeymen available as a stop gap for less than what it would cost to trade for one.
If for whatever reason Vanecek and his backup struggle, you’d also always have Schmid in your back pocket.

He would presumably come up and play a more of a 1A role in that situation, which is preferable to him splitting time with Vanecek.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m much less concerned now that shit bag Blackwood has f***ed off to the Sharks. He’ll be a tremendous help in their tanking efforts.

And we won’t have to worry about the staff starting him in the season opener again and c***b***ck starts from other (better goalies) guys in the opening month because he was good 4 seasons ago.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m much less concerned now that shit bag Blackwood has f***ed off to the Sharks. He’ll be a tremendous help in their tanking efforts.

And we won’t have to worry about the staff starting him in the season opener again and c***b***ck starts from other (better goalies) guys in the opening month because he was good 4 seasons ago.
Dude get over yourself.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dude get over yourself.
I’m admittedly a toxic dick when people act line I don’t know what I’m talking about on goalies on here. Particularly with the decline Schneider and Blackwood stuff.

So yeah, my victory laps and chest pounding last very long on them. Especially when some of you (yes, you, you were one of them on both) tell me how wrong I was and how these guys were going to bounce back. And use these 5-20 game sample sizes of good play. And as if Blackwood wasn’t one of the worst goalies in the NHL. Some of you made me feel like the delusional one for saying these guys suck and basically guaranteeing they wouldn’t bounce back. I think I deserved the benefit of the doubt, no matter how annoying and over-excessive and obsessive I was on these matters.

Do I obsess over it? Oh, f*** yes I do. You’re god damn right I do.

Am I wrong about it though? f*** no, I’m not.

Honestly, I actually thought this thread was made by a non-Devils fan asking about about our goaltending, when I made that post. I now see it was made by a fellow Devils fan, so I will say, I don’t think there was a need to spew another Blackwood rant. The OP is a Devils fan and (should) know that already.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Fitz is fir sure not sold on VV . Playing a rookie over him shows that. Yes Schmid showed he was playing well enough to deserve a chance , but it still shows me that Fitz is not sold on VV.
I am not a VV fan . Yes he played well for most parts of last season , but I don’t feel like he is the long term solution in net. I would be very shocked if he can lead us to a Cup .
I am not too pumped going into the season with VV and Schmid . Nothing against Schmid . He has done very well uo until now and I think he has a shot at being a true #1 goalie , but that’s still unknown , and goaltending is almost impossible to predict ( outside of elite guys like Saros , Sorokin , Sheshterkin , Vas) .
VV to me is not consistent enough and when he gets rattled , he is putrid . Overplays every shot, gets moving too much in the net , battles to make routine saves , loses his angles too often , plays small and not square and stable / upright .

Our current situation is a catch 22 for a couple of reasons . Yes , we “ could “ be ok with VV Schmid combo , but it’s risky . However , to get a less risky goalie ( very limited) , we need to use some good assets plus cap space ti get that , and at the end if the day , there is no guarantee that the new goalie will be a massive upgrade when we need him to be .
After saying all that , I want to get Helle or Saros

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m admittedly a toxic dick when people act line I don’t know what I’m talking about on goalies on here. Particularly with the decline Schneider and Blackwood stuff.

So yeah, my victory laps and chest pounding last very long on them. Especially when some of you (yes, you, you were one of them on both) tell me how wrong I was and how these guys were going to bounce back. And use these 5-20 game sample sizes of good play. And as if Blackwood wasn’t one of the worst goalies in the NHL. Some of you made me feel like the delusional one for saying these guys suck and basically guaranteeing they wouldn’t bounce back. I think I deserved the benefit of the doubt, no matter how annoying and over-excessive and obsessive I was on these matters.

Honestly, I actually thought this thread was made by a non-Devils fan asking about about our goaltending, when I made that post. I now see it was made by a fellow Devils fan, so I will say, I don’t think there was a need to spew another Blackwood rant. The OP is a Devils fan and (should) know that already.
This is the opposite of getting over yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: Nubmer6

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
@Bleedred during goalie convos
IMG_8139.jpeg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vanecek’s playoff performance was one that could have gotten a goalie run out of town. We’ve seen those scenarios before. I don’t think it will or should get him run out town though, but I also don’t think too many in the organization would be psyched to see him starting playoff games. His career playoff play has been some of the worst stretch of 8 or 9 games (whatever it is) in quite some time.

That said, it is only 8 games. Bobrovsky was literally quite possibly the worst playoff goalie of all time before this year when he finally had a good run. So it’s entirely possible Vitek could come out and play well enough that we potentially win a cup with him this coming year.

Disclaimer on my Bobrovsky claim: When I say Bobrovsky pre-2023 was the worst playoff goalie of all time, I know there’s obviously quite a few that were technically worse and by quite a bit. Dan Cloutier immediately comes to mind. But Cloutier is a nobody, while Bob has a ton of regular season success and multiple Vezina’s. And when you compare him to his Contemporaries, be it from his own generation and even the one before, those goalies had much better play in the playoffs than pre-2023 Bobrovsky, even if they didn’t have much team success or any cup wins.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't trust VV at all in the playoffs, but I'm also fine with Fitz taken a patient approach to dealing with the goaltending situation.

Maybe something develops this offseason...maybe it doesn't. I'm not too worried either way - just good to know that Fitz is highly unlikely to panic and/or overpay. The team can absolutely go into the season with VV and Schmid and we can see at least get a better read on Schmid at the NHL level given the relatively small sample size on him. VV is good enough in the regular season that this team should easily get into the playoffs.

As someone else already mentioned, I also wouldn't rule out NJ grabbing a goalie off waiver since Schmid can go down to Utica. I guess I get it for depth, but not sure this does us many favors - we really need to get a good read on what Schmid can do at this level to see if we're comfortable with him as the starter heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There actually several teams right now that I can think of that will almost definitely be putting a goalie with NHL experience on waivers before the season starts, barring an injury or in the case that they decide to keep all 3 goalies. Which doesn’t happen frequently at all, but has happened.

I get the idea that Seattle is keeping Daccord around to be the backup for Grubauer and that they’ll waive Driedger again.

Montreal as of now has Allen, DeSmith and Montembeault. Now out of those three, I can see a scenario where any of them could be traded between now and the start of training camp.

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, I will miss the collective meltdown this board would have when Blackwood was starting.
I will carry it over to the Sharks board, where I will be melting down when Blackwood is NOT starting. Which means a potentially greater chance of a Sharks win, which is not something the Sharks need to be doing a whole lot of.

Then again, Kahkonen was a disaster last year for the Sharks. There were literally times where the dude just gave up and would let goals happen and gave up on plays. I know Minnesota made him look better, but I’d like to believe Kahkonen is really not quite as bad as he played last year for the Sharks, but he just may be.

And in that case, they’re in good hands giving him starts too, if his play from last year continues.

Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
There actually several teams right now that I can think of that will almost definitely be putting a goalie with NHL experience on waivers before the season starts, barring an injury or in the case that they decide to keep all 3 goalies. Which doesn’t happen frequently at all, but has happened.

I get the idea that Seattle is keeping Daccord around to be the backup for Grubauer and that they’ll waive Driedger again.

Montreal as of now has Allen, DeSmith and Montembeault. Now out of those three, I can see a scenario where any of them could be traded between now and the start of training camp.

Was wondering what the waiver wire options might be.

Driedger has done nothing in his two seasons in Seattle/Coachella - he also carries a $3.5M cap hit, which wouldn't work for the Devils.

Montembeault would seem to be the odd man out in Montreal, but who knows.

What about Buffalo? If they're ready to start the Devon Levi era, he would be the odd man out. Statistically, he was our best goalie in 2020-2021!

Reactions: Guttersniped

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

I'm well aware of your love for Blackwood LMAO.

Just checking in with my fellow Devil fans about goaltending. I personally think they should give it 1 more year, if they make the playoffs and VV shits the bed again, its clear they need an upgrade.

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was wondering what the waiver wire options might be.

Driedger has done nothing in his two seasons in Seattle/Coachella - he also carries a $3.5M cap hit, which wouldn't work for the Devils.

Montembeault would seem to be the odd man out in Montreal, but who knows.

What about Buffalo? If they're ready to start the Devon Levi era, he would be the odd man out. Statistically, he was our best goalie in 2020-2021!
I figured Buffalo would send UPL to the AHL if Levi keeps the team and they keep Comrie. UPL doesn’t need waivers, as far as I know.

I think if Montreal wants to get rid of a goalie it would be Allen or possibly DeSmith, who they may have gotten just as part of the Karlsson/Petry trade as a dump. Montembeault had a pretty solid season last year, so I think they’re hoping he can do that again, whereas Allen is older.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm well aware of your love for Blackwood LMAO.

Just checking in with my fellow Devil fans about goaltending. I personally think they should give it 1 more year, if they make the playoffs and VV shits the bed again, its clear they need an upgrade.
When I first saw this thread, I saw the thread title, took a really quick flash of the name (too quick of a flash) and then read just your first paragraph, which I thought read like it possibly could have been from an inside fan. Then on second glance I read your entire post, not to mention noticed your avatar and name and was like “oh, this isn’t an outside fan” so my mistake on that.

I would be interested in acquiring someone like Hellebuyck for the right price, but I don’t think there are really better options than Vitek other than that. Don’t get me started on John Gibson and his contract. I was sick for a week just from seeing someone say we were interested in him about a month back.

I’ve seen it speculated that Dubas/Pittsburgh tried for him, but backed out and that’s when they circled back to Jarry.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I figured Buffalo would send UPL to the AHL if Levi keeps the team and they keep Comrie. UPL doesn’t need waivers, as far as I know.

I think if Montreal wants to get rid of a goalie it would be Allen or possibly DeSmith, who they may have gotten just as part of the Karlsson/Petry trade as a dump. Montembeault had a pretty solid season last year, so I think they’re hoping he can do that again, whereas Allen is older.

According to CapFriendly, UPL would have to clear waivers.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don't trust VV at all in the playoffs, but I'm also fine with Fitz taken a patient approach to dealing with the goaltending situation.

Maybe something develops this offseason...maybe it doesn't. I'm not too worried either way - just good to know that Fitz is highly unlikely to panic and/or overpay. The team can absolutely go into the season with VV and Schmid and we can see at least get a better read on Schmid at the NHL level given the relatively small sample size on him. VV is good enough in the regular season that this team should easily get into the playoffs.

As someone else already mentioned, I also wouldn't rule out NJ grabbing a goalie off waiver since Schmid can go down to Utica. I guess I get it for depth, but not sure this does us many favors - we really need to get a good read on what Schmid can do at this level to see if we're comfortable with him as the starter heading into the playoffs.
This is how I feel .
I’m not pumped about VV as the starter but he is good enough for now until Fitz finds an upgrade that makes sense . Fir now there is zero need to panic and overpay for a goalie as Schmid and VV “should” be ok for now .
But I do think we need a better option for the playoffs ( if Schmid is not quite ready ) . I have no faith at all in VV in the playoffs .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad