Confirmed with Link: Devils get Alexei Ponikarovsky from Jets for 2013 7th & 2014 4th round picks

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It is clear Kovy needed Poni back because he was jealous of Marty and Clarkson's bromance, and the growing bromance between Elias and "Rico". Clearly the head bob tonight proves more bromances are brewing on this team.

Say it aint so..

1hxn51.jpg

(Kudos to NBC Hockey posting this on here during lockout Kovy in russia thread)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Just on our team:

Ponikarovsky - 4th round
Fayne - 5th round
Zidlicky - 6th round
Salvador - 6th round
Hedberg - 9th round pick

Clarkson - Passed over
Greene - Passed over
Carter - Passed over
Gionta - Passed over
Harrold - Passed over

Former Devil Matt Halischuk was also a 4th rounder, as was Zharkov, and both Henrique and Brian Gionta were late 3rds.

So yeah, in a vacuum it's easy to say a 4th round pick has little to no value, but lets not pretend there AREN'T quality players available there. Especially with a scouting staff like ours. I don't miss the pick but to say it's a crapshoot isn't entirely true either.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just on our team:

Ponikarovsky - 4th round
Fayne - 5th round
Zidlicky - 6th round
Salvador - 6th round
Hedberg - 9th round pick

Clarkson - Passed over
Greene - Passed over
Carter - Passed over
Gionta - Passed over
Harrold - Passed over

Former Devil Matt Halischuk was also a 4th rounder, as was Zharkov, and both Henrique and Brian Gionta were late 3rds.

So yeah, in a vacuum it's easy to say a 4th round pick has little to no value, but lets not pretend there AREN'T quality players available there. Especially with a scouting staff like ours. I don't miss the pick but to say it's a crapshoot isn't entirely true either.

While I agree with you, we haven't drafted many great 4th round picks or later in a while. Boucher will hopefully change that. We have had really good luck with undrafted players though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just on our team:

Ponikarovsky - 4th round
Fayne - 5th round
Zidlicky - 6th round
Salvador - 6th round
Hedberg - 9th round pick

Clarkson - Passed over
Greene - Passed over
Carter - Passed over
Gionta - Passed over
Harrold - Passed over

I don't entirely disagree...but I wasn't thinking about the fourth round pick when Poni finished off the beautiful Marty-Kovy-Poni bang-bang goal :D

Yah, 7th rnder is totally a whatever, 4th rnd is your basic whatever.

But Poni better sign this offseason.

Yeah, or we'll be out another fourth rounder in 2015 to get him back a third time :sarcasm:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
While I agree with you, we haven't drafted many great 4th round picks or later in a while. Boucher will hopefully change that. We have had really good luck with undrafted players though.

Graham Black and Scarlett are late round picks with promising upside too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't make me post Rico Suave again!:laugh:

That's what I think of every time I hear Rico.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
btw Poni played barely over ten minutes his last game with Winnipeg (against the Flyers). He played barely under twenty last night :amazed:

xdl1

Nov 3, 2010
btw Poni played barely over ten minutes his last game with Winnipeg (against the Flyers). He played barely under twenty last night :amazed:

And it was all ES wasn't it? Zajac's 21 and Kovy's 25 always include both specials.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well considering there was only 'one' power play last night (for each team) at least 98% of it was.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
If it makes you feel better, those guys were drafted in the second round, so every team had a chance at them and didn't take them.

I'm hoping Severson makes everyone regret it in the same way in a few years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't really care about not getting Keith. or Carlson. or Weber.

AHL Barry Tallackson sucked though. I always cringed when people would say ''Call up Tallackson'' and penciled this player into next years lineup every offseason. He was penciled in as Patty's right winger almost every season too before he finally bit the dust. He was also supposed to be this PP, and PK wizard too. Jack of all trades, master of crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad