GDT: Devils @ Flyers - 7 P.M. - Devils TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
its just super weird to me to have your mind SO MADE UP already about a guy that has 2 goals in 2 preseason games and is 21 years old? Maybe its me idk
The only one's with their mind made up are the ones not even giving any other young player a chance at that NHL roster spot. I went into the preseason with the hope/expectation that Holtz would show out and stamp his claim to a Top 9 role and I've come away with a much higher opinion of Tyce Thompson.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Also, here is the thing- we dont NEED Holtz to be an all-around great player. We need him to score goals.

We have enough all around forwards. Its okay if one guy is strictly offense. Especially when he is like your 8th or 9th best option theoretically.
This is just a strawman. Nobody is saying he needs to be a great all around player, we're just asking for him not to fold under any bit of pressure with the puck on his stick and to show some other skills apart from his shot and the occasional good pass. If he was a consistent threat in the offensive zone I'd have zero issues with him getting a top 9 spot despite other weaknesses but he's virtually invisible or an outright negative apart from the two goals.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would like to find out, sticking him back down in the AHL won't get us our answers. But let's look at both of our track records when it comes to young prospects, you were adamant that Nico and Jack were never going to be this good (I did), so why should anyone trust your takes on Holtz today? You have the same mentality towards young players as a Mike Milbury did. You have no patience for them to develop.
But you think every prospect is going to be good.
I don't think he's NHL ready and I don't think that is an outlandish point of view...we'll see in a couple weeks. I'll admit if I was wrong...

You don't need to trust me on anything.
But I have been here a long time...and you should know that I have been right about helluva lot prospects too :)

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm not high on Foote either. You say Thompson is the "definition of just a guy" but he's been a more impactful player on the ice than Holtz, so what does that say about Holtz? I also wouldn't even agree with that assessment of Thompson. He's fast, has a good motor, aggressive on the forecheck and he's made good plays all over the ice. I bet you would have parroted a lot of the same things about Blake Coleman prior to the 2017-2018 season due to his AHL performance and injury history. All I'm basing my opinions on is who's showing out better in camp and right now I have a much better opinion of Thompson's game than I do of Holtz's.
Thompson has stunk in every small stint in the NHL and stunk in the AHL last year. There is absolutely no reason to think he can grab a top 9 NHL role. Blake Coleman’s development is irrelevant and almost never the way things turn out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Thompson has stunk in every small stint in the NHL and stunk in the AHL last year. There is absolutely no reason to think he can grab a top 9 NHL role. Blake Coleman’s development is irrelevant and almost never the way things turn out.
Wait a second...at least be consistent. Thompson stunk in his 11 games averaging 9:45 over 3 years but Holtz wasn't given a fair chance?

I'm not advocating for Thompson I'm just saying be fair at least.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
But you think every prospect is going to be good.
I don't think he's NHL ready ..we'll see in a couple weeks. I'll admit if I was wrong...

You don't need to trust me on anything.
But I have been here a long time...and you should know that I have been right about helluva lot prospects too :)
You missed on the two biggest fish here and don't recall you admitted you were wrong, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

And not true on I think every prospect is going to be good, I just know better than to rush to judgement on them. When they stink it up, I see it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I absolutely hate when people bring up Blake Coleman as a late bloomer lol as if that is even REMOTELY CLOSE to the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad