GDT: Devils @ Flames - 10:00 PM - MSG+

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
So far I’ve supported the decision, at least up to last night. I’m not sure he should have started last game after being pulled over halfway into regulation the night before.

I’ll be pretty angry if Ruff plays him on Saturday. I’m the last person that has interest in seeing Gillies play, but like everyone has said to me when I start ranting on Gillies and want him waived, we kind of have to play Gillies. And they’re right. I can’t deny that.

Doesn’t mean I’m not gonna bitch about him if he stinks up the joint.
What do you mean if?

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What do you mean if?
:laugh:

I'm sure he can have a couple good games at some point. To this point I can't even remember a game where he got lit up and didn't give up at least a couple weak ones. Even in the games where he played fine (3 goals 35-ish shots a few times) he gave up at least one clunker like the Mike Matheson goal from the point or that awful goal that came out of his glove (That was a shorthanded goal too I think) and he froze while it was put in against Tampa.

I think his first two starts here against the Pens and Islanders (3 goals on 20-something shots both times) might have been the only two games he's played where I didn't think he allowed any goals he shouldn't have, other than last night which was not an entire game.

Even in the relief appearance against Dallas he welcomes himself into the game with a weak short side goal to the glove about 15 seconds into the period when he came in.

As sad as it is, last night was one of his best games for us.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I thought we played “ok” all things considered.
2nd half of back to back against a team that was 12-1-1 at home last 14 games and one of the best teams in the league. Plus the Flames roster and game style is a perfect counter to what our strengths are. They negated our speed and bodied us to slow us down and we have no counter. Need more beef up front.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Daws is better than Gilles but doesn’t mean we should be playing Daws. He needs to be in the AHL. Fitz needs to get a goalie as both options inn et we have right now are garbage. Daws played very well for what he is at this ppimt but he shouldn’t be put in this situation. Gilles is not a NHL goalie in any situation . End of story. Fitz needs to get someone to plug in there for the rest of the year. Get Reimer even if it’s costs more than usual. What,it woild cost to get him won’t destroy our asset pool but having no goalie to play is not an option.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Calgary has now outscored Metro teams 67-32 in 16 games this year.:laugh:
1C297BEC-BFC4-4875-B2BE-1A3CC986CB24.jpeg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I love what Calgary has done in the past couple of years.

They straight up stole Markstrom from the Oilers when he tested the market, they brought in Tanev who was a rock alongside Hughes in Vancouver, Zadorov and Gudbransson for cheap, Toffoli was a solid pickup to bolster their depth and Coleman is a prototypical Sutter type of player. Coleman's contract, to me, doesn't scare me one bit if I'm the Flames if it makes the team super competitive for the window they seem to have.

If you're going for it, you can't half ass it... you have to go kinda "all-in" and that's what they're doing.
Tanev has been fantastic but you have to understand that Benning “ran out of time”.

He was too busy trying to trade for Oliver Ekman-Larson (yes even then) and sign Tyson Barrie (good god, Holland saved Benning from himself) to re-sign Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom. They all wandered off to new teams, Tanev and Toffoli were confused why Vancouver didn’t even try to re-sign them.

That’s where the infamous quote came from, somehow Benning thought it sounded better to say that he wanted to sign them but never got around to getting it done. (It did not sound better.)

He got noted sex offender/ ex-KHLer Jake Virtanen signed to 2 year/2.55m deal (that was bought out a year later) first though, so that’s good.

Luckily Holtby was available for a 2 year/4.3m deal in October (that was bought out a year later).

What I’m trying to say here is Benning was not a very good GM.

Fun fact: Benning traded Vancouver’s 2022 3rd for Nate Schmidt and then traded him for Winnipeg’s 2022 3rd. So they got 54 games of Schmidt and a 3rd round pick that’s almost no different from their own (The Canucks are two spots ahead of the Jets right now.) Ok, I’m not sure how fun that is, but it’s factual.

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's funny because I constantly see people saying to eat vegetables and an alkaline diet and fruits all day long. ''Tom Brady does it!'' but the truth is that those things don't have enough calories in them to keep your weight/muscle on if that's all you eat. Yeah, Tom Brady eats all these veggies, in between the 5 shakes he has to chug a day to keep all his weight and muscle on.:laugh:
If you think Tom Brady’s diet explains his appearance and athletic ability at his advanced age I have a bridge to sell you.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No news yet on Fitz getting a new goalie … I’m partially joking but I honestly think he might do something before or in deadline day to try to plug the hole

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Good luck outbidding Vegas or Toronto right now, who are both far more desperate for a goalie because they actually have consequences to face.

Vegas and Toronto have next to zero cap space, so they're very limited in what they can take on. They definitely can't trade for a goalie with term and any sort of cap hit. Plus Vegas already moved their 2022 1st, 3rd and 4th and moved Krebs to Buffalo, so they're pretty empty in terms of assets.

The Devils are in a completely different goalie market than those two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad