Confirmed with Link: Devils Fire Lindy Ruff - Travis Green is an Interim

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah.

Ruff's system was great in the 1st half of last season. We shot a lot and allowed very few shots against. That didnt help always, since Mactastic would allow 3 on 10 shots but was the correct strategy, IMO, from overall coaching perspective.

Why did they stray from that plan is beyond me but the result is tangible: Bye Lindy and thanks for the two best sports moments ive ever had (I was at the Rock):

Have we really strayed from that strategy?

In our 8 losses since the all star break, the games that tombstoned Ruff…

285 shots for. 12 goals.
205 shots against. 32 goals.

We’ve been continuing to shoot higher shot totals than opponents even in our losses. The difference is our shooters scoring on 4.2% of shots and our net allowing 15.6%.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany

In our 8 losses since the all star break?

285 shots for. 12 goals.

We’ve been continuing to shoot higher shot totals than opponents even in our losses. The difference is our shooters scoring on 4.2% of shots and our net allowing 15.6%.

Very many low danger shots from the blue line or from the circles will lead to horrible numbers.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I do always laugh when they talk about new direction and new voice and then turn it over to the assistant of the failed coach. Like, does he walk in and go "Look, I really wanted to tell you guys this but the mean guy wouldn't let me say it?"

Exactly. I never understood promoting the assistant, which seems to be the most common move after firing a coach. The whole staff works together for a common goal and has the same approach, system and ideology how the team should be run. If it isn't working the whole staff should be let go.

If Green is there just as a placeholder until they find a long term option in the off season, I don't see why Ruff couldn't be that guy. But overall I'm glad that he's gone, since I was worried he'd get a pass due to goaltending and all the injuries. I just think if they are realistically thinking of starting to turn things around (even if they miss the playoffs) and spark and re-motivate the team, they should have kicked out all of the remains of the old and brought in new voice(s).

Reactions: RNCDevil

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
If you want to trade Holtz, it might not be the greatest idea to talk him down like that.So it seems they want to keep him instead of trading him for an old goalie in a lost cause, which I think is good news.

That's a great point, there's definitely ways to say things better, especially if you're trying to trade him.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

285 shots for. 12 goals.

Sure, recently we started playing more like in 1st half of previous season. Thats when we have looked our best. I mean some of the losses, e.g. Ducks, would only happen 1/10 times the way the devils played.

Reactions: My3Sons

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

285 shots for. 12 goals.

The PP has gone cold without Hamilton. We really have no one that can get off a quick one-timer. We just pass the puck around the perimeter and then the shooter waits for the goalie to get in position before ripping it.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The PP has gone cold without Hamilton. We really have no one that can get off a quick one-timer. We just pass the puck around the perimeter and then the shooter waits for the goalie to get in position before ripping it.
I mean we do, not as good as Hamilton, but both Nemac and Miller can rip them fast. Miller obviously more so, but the issue would be needing to take Luke off the PP to give that a shot. If they won't take Luke off for creating more chances for the other team at times on the PP, they aren't going to take him off just to upgrade a shot.

I'd love to see Miller getting fed one timers, the threat alone would open both Jack and Bratt to do so much more along the boards.

Reactions: bigd

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Devils up coming schedule.

Complain about goaltending for 6 weeks

Complain about Green for the next 3 or 4 weeks

Complain about what's taking so long to name a new coach for a new for 3 months.

Complain about the new coach choice for another 3 months.

Complain about the new system until December or January.

Then finally complain about random 4th liners... that's always the default.

Eventually we'll come full circle to fire the new coach....like sands through the hourglass....
You forgot the Sharongovich references 🤪

Reactions: JimEIV

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I mean, by an analytics perspective … haven’t the devils actually been good since the all star break? The issue is that actual results haven’t lived up to what the analytics say they should. They’ve won the deserve-to-win-o-meter almost every game. Analytics generally assume that unusually low sv% will eventually regress to the mean, unusually low sh% will eventually regress to the mean, that it’s the shot attempts taken and allowed that define a team’s analytical standing…

… and that’s been the Devils’ downfall. Shooting 4.2% in the 8 post all star losses, saving well under .900 … if the coach takes the analytic perspective he’d just call for more of the same and assume the sv% and sh% would regress to league average. When clearly they won’t.

Nailed it, this might be the biggest issue.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

He's played like 5 min / game on avg but I haven't seen anything to suggest why he should be getting less playing time than others. Everyone has been shit. Timo might as well park himself in the ozone permanently.

The pp has gone cold because the coach has no idea how to tweak it and adjust. It has nothing to do with personnel. They shouldn't be like dead last (talking about recent stats, idk where they are overall)

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Green doesn't see a problem with the PP, and thinks you should keep guys together and won't be breaking up those 5...... He likes it the way it is.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This is the first truly worrying thing i’ve heard from Fitzgerald. Now i can’t help but question whether he’s even paying attention to the right things.

Somewhere in New Jersey, Alexander Holtz is having a great day.
He won’t have a great day til a new coaching staff comes in and Holtz makes a good first impression. Green’s gonna be more of the same, just hopefully with a little more attention to structure.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It is evident that the owners spoke with Fitz and gave him the go-ahead to fire Ruff. Ruff had many excuses to use this season, but as I have said before, he was a part of these excuses. The team, in the long term, will be better with him gone. That said today....

MARCH 5, 2024

The New Jersey Devils became Tom Fitzgerald team 100%.

The Shero and Ruff influence is gone.

It's all you now, Tom

Best wishes Lets Go Devils

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany