Confirmed with Link: Devils Fire Lindy Ruff - Travis Green is an Interim

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The scoring seems to have dropped ever since the so-called system change.

Maybe the big outbursts against Philly at the stadium and the Sharks makes it not so bad, but I feel like there’s been so many 1 and 2 goals scored games recently. And even zero going back to the Carolina OTL.

Reactions: My3Sons

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
He had my attention until the pp part. My god, no.
Yea, he likes it, sees no problem, wants to keep the guys together. Also won't quite hand over PP duty fully. Will still have "talks" about it even if he ever does.

It feels like his baby he is going to ride or die with.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The scoring seems to have dropped ever since the so-called system change.

Maybe the big outbursts against Philly at the stadium and the Sharks makes it not so bad, but I feel like there’s been so many 1 and 2 goals scored games recently. And even zero going back to the Carolina OTL.

It did drop around then, but it's hard to tell if it's a total lack of chances or bad luck shooting percentage.

It's further muddled as the team seemed to just totally quit in the games after the stadium series.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
This is the first truly worrying thing i’ve heard from Fitzgerald. Now i can’t help but question whether he’s even paying attention to the right things.

He won’t have a great day til a new coaching staff comes in and Holtz makes a good first impression. Green’s gonna be more of the same, just hopefully with a little more attention to structure.

I don’t think looking at the last 10 losses is a great way to measure if goal scoring is effective.

Most games you lose because you didn’t score many goals.

Most games you win are because you scored a good amount of goals.

The good teams are good because they tend to score more goals more often (or allow less). But even a good team, I imagine, will normally not score much in games they lose.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t think much is going to change
It’s possible we’re even worse, considering Green is absolutely a downgrade from Ruff and I’ve been saying that all year every time people called for his firing. It was obvious we were gonna get Green if Ruff was fired.

However, maybe the team will start playing, which they weren’t really doing for Ruff the last 1.5-2 weeks he was here.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't really feel like digging them up, but the long short of it was...

"I'd rather be bad and exciting, than bad an boring. Good coach for development, brutal coach for long term success . His system gets old and eventually is let go on a whimper."

It's played out exactly as they said it would.

I mentioned this in the “Fire Ruff” thread, Dallas lost a bunch of key players when they went from 109 points to 79 points.

The key losses were 2 of their top 3 defensemen, Goligolski (1st in ATOI) and Demers (3rd in ATOI). They also got 82 games out of a 34 year old Oduya, who started to break down the next season with injuries.

Those were 3 of their top 4 and their top PKers. They were replaced by a 22 yo rookie Lindell, a 34 yo Hamhuis, and some warm bodies.

2015-16 was a season where a lot went well for their forwards and then less so in the next season. They lost a lot of complimentary guys and had to fill in spots with rookies or fringy NHLers. It’s described as “injury plagued”.

The 2015-16 definitely was exciting though.

For my money, the greatest team to never win the championship goes to the best Dallas Stars team in the modern era: the 2015-16 squad that ran through every team with speed, skill, and scoring to sit atop the Western Conference at the end of the regular season.

That team was a breath of fresh air. Instead of the more conservative approaches that had become synonymous with Dallas hockey, the 2015-16 team had a system that fit the personnel very well. For once, fans got to watch a team that had a system designed for the players, and players that fit that, for the most part, were acquired or had skillsets built for that system.

It was one of the best years of general manager Jim Nill’s tenure to date.

There was only one Achilles heel of that roster: goaltending. All season long, goaltending had been a wild ride. Kari Lehtonen and Antti Niemi backstopped the team, with both goaltenders having their moments — for better and for worse. Lehtonen could come out and turn in a 44-save performance and a sparkling .957 save percentage one night, and follow it up with a game in which three goals were allowed on 23 shots (good for a 0.870 save percentage). Niemi’s season was marked with a similar rollercoaster vibe.

After seeing goaltending and team defense implode two seasons prior in a first round exit against the Anaheim Ducks, culminating in a blown two-goal lead and an overtime loss on home ice (why yes that does still sting Stars fans, why do you ask?), Niemi was signed to provide the team with a viable backup in case that became an issue again. It was far from the answer, and the team was able to out-score its issues in net.

The playoffs are a different animal, though.

Defenses are stouter, and goaltending is generally better, with everyone dialed into the playoff intensity. The Stars went from scoring 3.23 goals on average per game in the regular season to an average of 2.69 goals per game in the playoffs. That half-goal difference is where goaltending weaknesses can be magnified. Which is exactly what happened in the St. Louis Blues series, where Lehtonen turned in a stellar performance to force a Game 7 — and the exact opposite when the stakes were the highest.

The reason this team is the most disappointing in Stars history to never win a championship is two-fold. Firstly, a win by the Stars could have accelerated the league’s shift to this fun style of game. Yes, it is still leaning that way, but maybe the league would have gotten there faster with this team’s win of the Stanley Cup.

The larger disappointment, of course, is that this wasted some of the prime years of the established core of Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin, and John Klingberg. It’s not limited to just this year, though. As a result of the second round loss to the St. Louis Blues in the 2015-16 season, the Stars have since executed a complete reversal on the fun, speedy, skilled team and overcompensated by becoming too defensively stout. After Lindy Ruff followed that season up with an injury-plagued campaign that saw the Stars miss the playoffs completely, they hired as head coach Ken Hitchcock, and then, after that disastrous season, Jim Montgomery.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry if this was posted at some point last night. This thread and forum were very active all evening and I got offline for a few hours about 60-90 minutes after the Ruff firing was announced. So a lot of stuff got buried and went unread by me.

Anyway, this was I guess a segment from NHLN last night and Cory Schneider was on there.

He said something about how it feels like Ruff has been on the hot seat like every year now. :laugh:

I forgot what the exact quote was. If he said every year or just the last couple of years, as I watched this about 4 or 5 hours ago, but it gave me a chuckle.

I wonder if Cory is suggesting this just because of what you hear around the league or if former teammates he’s talked with have been talking about Ruff being on the hot seat over the last several years.

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019
I watched Nico’s interview. He said players don’t change what they are being told. Bratt speaking of team not being passionate and desperate enough. Makes we wonder what kind of a F locker room we have here!??

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sorry if this was posted at some point last night. This thread and forum were very active all evening and I got offline for a few hours about 60-90 minutes after the Ruff firing was announced. So a lot of stuff got buried and went unread by me.

Anyway, this was I guess a segment from NHLN last night and Cory Schneider was on there.

He said something about how it feels like Ruff has been on the hot seat like every year now. :laugh:

I forgot what the exact quote was. If he said every year or just the last couple of years, as I watched this about 4 or 5 hours ago, but it gave me a chuckle.

I wonder if Cory is suggesting this just because of what you hear around the league or if former teammates he’s talked with have been talking about Ruff being on the hot seat over the last several years.

Well he only had one good season here. Every other was awful and he had a bad start last year too

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I mentioned this in the “Fire Ruff” thread, Dallas lost a bunch of key players when they went from 109 points to 79 points.

The key losses were 2 of their top 3 defensemen, Goligolski (1st in ATOI) and Demers (3rd in ATOI). They also got 82 games out of a 34 year old Oduya, who started to break down the next season with injuries.

Those were 3 of their top 4 and their top PKers. They were replaced by a 22 yo rookie Lindell, a 34 yo Hamhuis, and some warm bodies.

2015-16 was a season where a lot went well for their forwards and then less so in the next season. They lost a lot of complimentary guys and had to fill in spots with rookies or fringy NHLers. It’s described as “injury plagued”.

The 2015-16 definitely was exciting though.

Sounds pretty much exactly how things went here, except the playoffs part.

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I watched Nico’s interview. He said players don’t change what they are being told. Bratt speaking of team not being passionate and desperate enough. Makes we wonder what kind of a F locker room we have here!??
this came out garbled in your post. It's a small but important statement he made so it bears correcting. What he said was that some players are spoken to both by coaches and by him as part of the accountability process and despite those communications "nothing changes". He's clearly upset that some of the players are making the same mistakes over and over. Who they might be it's hard to say.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006

One where nobody has eachothers backs.

I saw this as a huge problem last year when Florida started taking shots and roughing up Nico all game long after he accidentally injured Barkov.

There was ZERO mitigating presence and what was worse was not only did the team not stick up for him, but they also started playing super passive like they actively trying to avoid getting involved in any of that.

We seriously need a Gudas or any type of goon just so our players aren't so darn scared out there.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

My3Sons

Sponsor
One where nobody has eachothers backs.

I saw this as a huge problem last year when Florida started taking shots and roughing up Nico all game long after he accidentally injured Barkov.

There was ZERO mitigating presence and what was worse was not only did the team not stick up for him, but they also started playing super passive like they actively trying to avoid getting involved in any of that.

We seriously need a Gudas or any type of goon just so our players aren't so darn scared out there.
That's why Nemec is sitting and Smith is playing, for better or worse. NJ needs to up its compete that goes without saying. I think the Florida thing was ultimately overblown. NJ won the game and it didn't matter in the long run. Would I have liked to see a sociopath attack Tkachuk and Tkachuk back down when he had to take on a bigger meaner player? Of course, it would have been ironic and exposed Tkachuk as the fraud he is but it didn't slow NJ down last season on balance.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
That's why Nemec is sitting and Smith is playing, for better or worse. NJ needs to up its compete that goes without saying. I think the Florida thing was ultimately overblown. NJ won the game and it didn't matter in the long run. Would I have liked to see a sociopath attack Tkachuk and Tkachuk back down when he had to take on a bigger meaner player? Of course, it would have been ironic and exposed Tkachuk as the fraud he is but it didn't slow NJ down last season on balance.

Its not overblown when it's a public display to every other team in the league that we can be stepped all over.

I got to see Siegs get absolutely rocked at Crypto Arena, and what was our response? Nothing. I'm not saying anyone had to drop the gloves but the team acts like nothing when one of our guys gets physically abused - I can't imagine this be good for team moral either.

Smith is also lightweight at this point in his career.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe it's just his personality, but Timo seemed to be the least bit fazed by Lindy's firing. He hasn't been here with him as long as any of the other guys either. I wonder if he's annoyed by this LW stuff, that looks like it will still continue under Green.

Bratt seemed to be the most somber about it. Even more than Jack. Maybe just because he (as I'm sure a lot of them do) feels bad for the guy that got fired.

Nico seemed like he went out of his way to say a few nice things about Lindy, after it felt like he was pausing and hesitant to answer fairly honestly about not really caring too much.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Its not overblown when it's a public display to every other team in the league that we can be stepped all over.

I got to see Siegs get absolutely rocked at Crypto Arena, and what was our response? Nothing. I'm not saying anyone had to drop the gloves but the team acts like nothing when one of our guys gets physically abused - I can't imagine this be good for team moral either.

Smith is also lightweight at this point in his career.
Let's see if that new guy they just added helps in that department. Beyond that, every team in the league did that against NJ last season. They had numerous games where the opponent would try to beat them into submission. Last season the Devils would just keep skating, tire the other team out, and then win the game. It's only this season they look defeated. That said, I largely agree with you they need to push back but it's not realistic to make Bratt Nico Jack and Luke do that. Frankly there is no reason guys like Tierney Nosek and Smith shouldn't be replaced by sociopaths who are happy and capable of fighting or engaging in cheap shots without remorse. Mostly the cheap shots though, those are much more valuable than the fighting.

Reactions: Patrik26

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
On the bright side, all of you folks afraid Green could somehow get the fulltime job have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: HBK27

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
this came out garbled in your post. It's a small but important statement he made so it bears correcting. What he said was that some players are spoken to both by coaches and by him as part of the accountability process and despite those communications "nothing changes". He's clearly upset that some of the players are making the same mistakes over and over. Who they might be it's hard to say.

Nico's very recent comments speak of a group in disarray. Sounds like this is not a team but a mostly collection of individuals. This isn't going to be fixed any time soon without someone behind the bench AND in the front office holding EVERYONE accountable. The inmates shouldn't be running the asylum.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Nico's very recent comments speak of a group in disarray. Sounds like this is not a team but a mostly collection of individuals. This isn't going to be fixed any time soon without someone behind the bench AND in the front office holding EVERYONE accountable.
Maybe. They are a young group and relate differently than a group from 20 years ago would have interacted. I don't claim to know but I will say that stars have always avoided accountability in sports so it's not really a new phenomenon.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00