Devils fan asking about coach Paul Maclean

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Do you have any veterans that you hate the most? If you do, expect that veteran to get a lot of ice time.

Maclean loves his veterans.

WhiteLight*

So he is peter deboer pt2 just more of a screamer.....yay.

Funnnnnn

Maybe he'll learn from his mistakes in Ottawa.

Not likely though. Not the kind of person to make any adjustments or admit he's wrong

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So he is peter deboer pt2 just more of a screamer.....yay.

Funnnnnn

Maclean might work with the Devils being that your team is full of veterans. He basically tries to copy Babcock.

The problem with the Sens is that they are a young team. I just do not think he was the right coach for us because of this.

Maclean line combination were infuriating to say the least.

Putting Phillips with Karlsson on the top pairing. Putting Neil as the extra attacker when we were trailing in the last minute in the 3rd period. Putting Neil and Legwand on the pp. His inability to call timeouts when needed and to pull goaltenders when needed also became frustrating.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
there's not much to work with in New Jersey. the success that he had here was thanks to veterans with last hoorahs (alfie, gonchar, phillips etc) and good #1 and #2 goalies, and spezza/karlsson

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
I think it would be AWESOME for Paul McLean to coach in NJ.

Just think.....

Paul gets paid out his Sens Salary + gets paid by New Jersey. This will drive Melnyk crazy!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think it would be AWESOME for Paul McLean to coach in NJ.

Just think.....

Paul gets paid out his Sens Salary + gets paid by New Jersey. This will drive Melnyk crazy!

Devils take on his current salary, Sens paying him would get lifted.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Maclean runs a defensive system thats so complicated the players dont understand it. Have fun with always allowing 32+ shots. Overall its a all out run and gun offensive system.

He loves veterans. Will over play them and say he's happy with their play even if they purposely score on their own net. Overall terrible at managing ice times. New lines every game.

He holds no one accountable and seems to always been happy with the team, no matter what.

He doesn't let his assistants do much and he likes to control everything. Everything has to be his way.

Im basing this off interviews and watching the games.

I preferred Clouston.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
A lot of Ottawa fans soured on Maclean over the last year, but he did a lot of things right, too. He correctly identified that this team was not a defensively gifted team and played to its strengths with a more offensive approach. He gave plenty of ice time to Karlsson (although some would say too much.) He wasn't wishy-washy on the goaltending situation, which I suppose isn't a huge issue in New Jersey.

He apparently lost the room here after a while, but for the first few years he was fantastic. Players bought into his system, bought into his laid-back valley boy approach, and seemed to punch far above their weight class. Don't let the sour grapes here discourage you: you'll like Paul.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
A lot of Ottawa fans soured on Maclean over the last year, but he did a lot of things right, too. He correctly identified that this team was not a defensively gifted team and played to its strengths with a more offensive approach. He gave plenty of ice time to Karlsson (although some would say too much.) He wasn't wishy-washy on the goaltending situation, which I suppose isn't a huge issue in New Jersey.

He apparently lost the room here after a while, but for the first few years he was fantastic. Players bought into his system, bought into his laid-back valley boy approach, and seemed to punch far above their weight class. Don't let the sour grapes here discourage you: you'll like Paul.

But he also put Phillips on the 1st pairing, which completely destroys any good things he did. :p::sarcasm:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Maclean seems to be quick scrambling lines that work, but very reluctant to scramble lines that don't work. Our line of Hoffman-Lazar-Stone was playing very well but only got 8 or 9 games together. Last year our line of Greening-Smith-Neil was terrible but only got 8 or 9 games apart.

Also, a smaller thing I noticed. Maclean seems very reluctant to change goalies halfway through a game despite the goalie having a bad game.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
If you like your veteran players getting ridiculous amounts of ice time and not being held accountable for anything you'll love him, if not...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Also don't get attached to your favourite lines, if they go two periods without scoring they will be changed.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
maclean is hard to figure out.

he's been a successful coach, and a losing coach,
he's been a coach that players loved, and one that they hated

WhiteLight*

LA has a system. There hasn't really been a system for a year and a half. The Sens have openly said he wasn't teaching, and it showed on the ice. The players had no idea what to do

I read an interview where he said he sat on his porch and went fishing ALL summer. TOO laid back, not enough preparation, little to no strategy and adjustment, and honestly in way over his head in the NHL

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
He's awesome.

I knew firing Paul first in the NHL was a Eugene ploy to get him picked up by another team.

Cheap *******.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad