Post-Game Talk: Devils drop another one - lose 3-1 to Winnipeg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The game is against the joke of the conference who have just won 2 games against southeast teams that aren't good. It's an afternoon game too. The Devils will be in ''I don't wanna be here'' mode.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The game is against the joke of the conference who have just won 2 games against southeast teams that aren't good. It's an afternoon game too. The Devils will be in ''I don't wanna be here'' mode.

Buffalo isn't a joke IMO.

They're a team that's a little confused ATM but taking them slightly because they're at the bottom of the standings at the halfway point of the year is EXACTLY what we shouldn't be doing.

By the looks of things, we look like the team that should be at the bottom of East if we look at our past performances over the last week+

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Buffalo isn't a joke IMO.

They're a team that's a little confused ATM but taking them slightly because they're at the bottom of the standings at the halfway point of the year is EXACTLY what we shouldn't be doing.

By the looks of things, we look like the team that should be at the bottom of East if we look at our past performances over the last week+

The Devils took the Caps lightly too, and the Isles. I wouldn't put it past them to take this team lightly either, and see a Vanek hat trick tomorrow.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

I don't know why you insist on taunting the Sabres but given they just fired a coach, you can expect the team is going to play different and with nothing to lose.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know why you insist on taunting the Sabres but given they just fired a coach, you can expect the team is going to play different and with nothing to lose.

The Devils clearly do not play a complete game against these teams they should be beating. It's been going on for a while now, and I'm not the only one noticing it. Last night's game was a much better effort though, but now I'm wondering if their confidence will take a hit because of the good game last night and nothing to show for it.

Then you got the fact it's in the afternoon. I think we've all noticed something is just off with this team in afternoon games.

Buffalo is also the team I hate the most outside of division rivals and the Hurricanes, this is why I taunt them. I can't stand losing to them.

Last edited:

NBC Hockey

Mar 13, 2009
I don't think this team is taking other teams lightly anymore. They have been losing games and not getting points, so they know what they need to do. Inability to finish does not equal lack of trying. But they could definitely kick things up a notch. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

And good news about the afternoon - we're 1-0 when the game starts at 3:00. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think this team is taking other teams lightly anymore. They have been losing games and not getting points, so they know what they need to do. Inability to finish does not equal lack of trying. But they could definitely kick things up a notch. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

And good news about the afternoon - we're 1-0 when the game starts at 3:00. :laugh:

The last 3:00 game wasn't as good as it turned out to be in the end. If Moose doesn't stop that Grabner breakaway then Nabokov probably gets the shutout that day. Moose stopped Grabner on the shorthanded breakaway when the game was still scoreless. Even if Bernier hadn't scored on the PP that game was like 3 minutes away from going to OT scoreless.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

If Dev's aren't in "we need a freaking win" mode then there is a real problem.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just finished watching the game, our guys are just not finishers right now. Henrique had a good game but that's probably the 5th open net he's missed wide.

Clarkson has been invisible the past 2 weeks it seems.
On a side note Loki looked pretty good on top line and Kovy looked good.

Not completely worried yet but Travis and Henrique need to fine the twine here soon....

I think Clarkson has been playing real well. Involved in a bunch of chances. Dev's just not able to finish.

If I'm looking to lay some blame on the 2nd line, Clarkson is the last of the 3 I point to.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Check out the GDT thread from 3/25/12. Devils loss to Pens, 5-2, capping a 2-4-1 slump in which they scored just 10 goals in those 7 gams. Expert opinions from HF posters:

- Hedberg should be starting games over Marty.
- Zidlicky sucks.
- No depth on defense/our defense sucks.
- Concern that the top offensive players will not break out of their slump.
- The team is not a contender or on the level of the "elite" teams.
- Team will be lucky to make the playoffs, and if they do, they won't do any damage.
- Poor leadership from the captain.
- Team doesn't show up to play bottom feeders.

Any of this look familiar? :laugh:

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Check out the GDT thread from 3/25/12. Devils loss to Pens, 5-2, capping a 2-4-1 slump in which they scored just 10 goals in those 7 gams. Expert opinions from HF posters:

- Zidlicky sucks.
- Team will be lucky to make the playoffs, and if they do, they won't do any damage.

That was the abomination on St. Patty's day...there was potential for that day to be awesome day ruined by a **** performance lol

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
More perspective - this was our lineup for Game #40 last year (roughly the equivalent of where we are now in the shortened season). I'd say we are icing a comparable forward lineup right now.

Parise - Henrique - Kovalchuk
Zubrus - E1K - Sykora
Sestito - Zalewski - Clarkson
Tedenby - Carter - Janssen/Boulton

Tallinder - Fayne
Salvador - Larsson
Taormina - Foster

Hedberg (starting)
Brodeur

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

- Zidlicky sucks.

Haha that is nice. I definitely remember all the bench Marty for Moose crap. That has all vanished this week.

Why I don't buy the super pessimistic crap some people are spewing. We are in a slump, that is the long and short of it. Slumping/bad play, injuries, and bad luck. I mean ya people were out of position in those first 8 seconds but no one is expecting that puck to bound off Zids to the perfect spot. Play has not been great (but we WERE better yesterday. PK looked leaps and bounds better) but bad breaks combined with bad finishing killed us.

Oh god that game 40 lineup is CRINGE worthy. I forgot we were rolling General Tao and Foster as a pairing. How did we even win games in the 1st half? And we complain about our bottom 6 now.

NBC Hockey

Mar 13, 2009
The last 3:00 game wasn't as good as it turned out to be in the end. If Moose doesn't stop that Grabner breakaway then Nabokov probably gets the shutout that day. Moose stopped Grabner on the shorthanded breakaway when the game was still scoreless. Even if Bernier hadn't scored on the PP that game was like 3 minutes away from going to OT scoreless.

But we won. And all this team needs right now is a damn win.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But we won. And all this team needs right now is a damn win.

Truth!!! By hook or by crook, and we need to stop the merry-go-round on D. I thought we would of used the Flyers game as a catapult since outside of the 1st we actually played a solid game. Then Lou benched Fayne and we haven't had a steady line-up on D since. Fayne in then out, Volch out, plus there were not many Marty games after that and Moose has not been amazing.

Just a couple wins to regain some consistency and confidence. To often after a mistake we look scared on the ice and take to long to regain our wheels. Look at the Flyers game, made tons of mistakes but we got right back on the horse. Need to at least get back to that.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Truth!!! By hook or by crook, and we need to stop the merry-go-round on D. I thought we would of used the Flyers game as a catapult since outside of the 1st we actually played a solid game. Then Lou benched Fayne and we haven't had a steady line-up on D since. Fayne in then out, Volch out, plus there were not many Marty games after that and Moose has not been amazing.

Just a couple wins to regain some consistency and confidence. To often after a mistake we look scared on the ice and take to long to regain our wheels. Look at the Flyers game, made tons of mistakes but we got right back on the horse. Need to at least get back to that.

Lou doesn't bench anyone btw. It's DeBoer's call and no one else.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Clarkson has been invisible since he hurt his wrist mid-game against Washington. He barely made it to the bench, then went down the hall for a second and came back to the bench and finished the game. I suspect it's a nagging sprain or deep bone bruise.

After having his back stiffen up on him after Monday’s 2-1 shootout loss to Ottawa, Clarkson was able to play tonight, but nearly was injured again when a second period check from Capitals defenseman Tomas Kundratek sent him hands first into the boards and glass.

“My hands kind of got caught there,” Clarkson said. “I was facing the boards when the guy hit me, so I just went into the wall.”

Clarkson appeared to be in pain as he exited to the locker room, but returned only a minute later, did not miss a shift and played the remainder of the game. Clarkson’s right wrist appeared to take the worst of it, but he said he was fine after the game.

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...inning_goal_clarkson_ok/#sthash.GyWNwjki.dpuf

*here's the play - click to watch.

Last edited:

Rella17

May 21, 2010
Bergen

- Zidlicky sucks.

its only magnified this time around because of the short season, but losing 6 of 8 still isnt encouraging

once Zubrus is back that will be huge but we desperately need another winger and maybe a defenseman

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Clarkson has been invisible since he hurt his wrist mid-game against Washington. He barely made it to the bench, then went down the hall for a second and came back to the bench and finished the game. I suspect it's a nagging sprain or deep bone bruise.

*here's the play - click to watch.

Clarkson is definitely hurting. It's not so much that he isn't scoring, but he literally looks like a different player these last few games. He can't hold on to the puck and he appears to have lost an edge physically. Pretty much night and day compared to how he was playing the first 15 games or so.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
What the heck happened to this team?!

Looking completely useless.

Lou needs to act here, this is a short season and this team is doing everything in their power right now to not be in the playoffs this season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
its only magnified this time around because of the short season, but losing 6 of 8 still isnt encouraging

once Zubrus is back that will be huge but we desperately need another winger and maybe a defenseman

Another would be helpful. Replace Matteau now, and Butler for the playoffs when Zubs returns. I do like the idea that Pete is going with the lines today. Sitting Barch and trying to go 4 lines deep again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

- Zidlicky sucks.

Are the bolded really unfair, or were they at the time all things considered?

I mean as far as the D goes, in March last year you're talking about Larsson either being hurt or ineffective when he came back, Harrold a giant unknown at that point (he only became a revelation late in the season and in the playoffs) and Tallinder being out for two months and counting.

They still weren't an elite team until after the first round of the playoffs and having a healthy Zajac. If Madden scored in OT of Game 7 the narrative around the team all summer and now is COMPLETELY different though.

And the not showing up for bottom feeders has been a problem on and off for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad