Devils Draft Review

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Interesting to note also that Cormier has the highest potential upside out of the entire goaltending draft class. His biggest issue with that is his consistency, so given where he was selected I think that's some fantastic value

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's all speculation. I think Bastian and Anderson are very close. I like them both a lot. Neither have any bust potential -- their skating/2-way/hockey IQ/character combos will guarantee they are effective bottom-6 types even if their scoring does not come around.

I'm not knocking Wood, I think he's a very good third-line guy for the foreseeable future. But I feel strongly that Maltsev has the talent to be at the top of the LW list by the end of next year.

Quenneville is a prospect I love. McLeod is a prospect I love more. But Quenneville makes the team in 2016-17, in my opinion. He was terrific down the stretch for the Wheat Kings.

Thanks for your complimentary words by the way. I'm probably going to leave these boards in awhile to work on other writing projects, but I can always put something together on here if you have specific things you want me to analyze/discuss: I can be found at @StIves72

JQ really had an excellent Draft +2 year. I think there definitely potential for him to turn into something good for us.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
Well, the Devils are not winning the Stanley Cup this year, so there is still some ways to go in terms of beefing up the talent base. But Shero should always draft the best available player. Here's how I'd rank every position now, with 2016 picks in bold.

G
1. Blackwood
2. Wedgewood
3. Cormier

LD
1. Rykov
2. White
3. Davies

RD
1. Santini
2. Jacobs
3. Mozik

LW
1. Blandisi
2. Boucher
3. Maltsev
4. Wood
5. Seney

RW
1. Anderson
2. Bastian
3. Speers

C
1. Zacha
2. McLeod
3. Quenneville
4. Gignac
5. Coleman

As you can see, Devils had something between diddly and squat at RW prior to the draft weekend. We still don't have the firepower there of Winnipeg (Laine, Dano, Spacek) or Toronto (Marner, Nylander, Bracco, Kappanen), but we now have two guys that project as very good, fast & physical two way options for the second or third lines.

NJ also had nothing at LHD, but Rykov was an outstanding late grab -- at the very least he should be a solid bottom-4 guy. Davies was a nice risk to take in the 7th.

NJ were already strong at RHD, Santini in particular is one of the most underrated prospects in the NHL. He is an absolute shut-down beast in his own end, and will never score 40+ but he moves the puck well and skates terrifically. Jacobs also looks like some solid depth on the backline.

NJ center prospects now have to rank among the top in the NHL.

I would like the Devils to pick up another top 6 LW and top 4 LHD. There are options that have been unreported in major media outlets. Florida's new stat-based regime devalues a high-caliber prospect like LW Lawson Crouse, their 2015 1st round pick. I would definitely kick the tires on that. Would Columbus include 6'5 LW Paul Bittner in a deal to take Scott Hartnell off their hands? I would assume so, given their current predicament.

NJ still needs a high end, offensive LHD, and I expect that to be addressed in the 2017 draft. Scouting Mississauga for McLeod and Bastian, the Devils were surely impressed with 6'6 Nick Hague, a 2017 eligible who is not only humongous but also skates and moves the puck extremely well. Although I never want to type his name again, Urho Vaakanainen is a LHD who oozes offensive upside, also eligible in 2017. My personal favorite LHD for 2017 is US-NTDP Max Gildon (played with our own Joey Anderson), a kid who reminds me a lot of a young Ryan McDonagh.

Again, time will tell.

This is the most informative and substantive posting I've ever seen on here, much appreciated.

This talk about the '17 Draft for me, however is setting up for disappointment with the way this team is going.
Their goalie is elite, so they likely wont be a bottom 5 team, but they have no talent, so they won't be a playoff team either. They can't attract significant UFA's because NJ isn't a major market and they, again, don't have significant talent to draw them, and they cant net significant talent via trade because they don't have the assets. The "cap space" asset we heard so much about, to date, has not been much.

I am truly not as negative as these posts may make me seem... I just think that the majority of people are, with all due respect, being naïve about what is facing this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wouldn't call Quenneville's draft+2 year excellent. His numbers were what you'd want to see in a first round pick's draft-1 season. It was definitely good to see improvement, but I think he's still got a long way to go to prove he can be more than a role player in the NHL.

Unfortunately this seems all too common a story for our prospects lately, but as the above poster mentioned, that's what happened when you never get a crack at the best players in a draft. It'd be a hell of a morale booster to see McLeod and/or Bastian absolutely kill it next year, instead of having another so-so season that we'll struggle to make excuses for and convince ourselves wasn't really that bad.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldn't call Quenneville's draft+2 year excellent. His numbers were what you'd want to see in a first round pick's draft-1 season. It was definitely good to see improvement, but I think he's still got a long way to go to prove he can be more than a role player in the NHL.

Unfortunately this seems all too common a story for our prospects lately, but as the above poster mentioned, that's what happened when you never get a crack at the best players in a draft. It'd be a hell of a morale booster to see McLeod and/or Bastian absolutely kill it next year, instead of having another so-so season that we'll struggle to make excuses for and convince ourselves wasn't really that bad.

Quenneville was a 2-way force who scored 100 pts between 78 games in the regular season and playoffs while getting the lion's share of tough defensive assignments for the WHL champion Brandon Wheat Kings.

If that was a so-so year, I really don't want to discuss the year I had. Outside of not dying, paying rent every month and those two girls from Rochester, I didn't accomplish nearly as much.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This is the most informative and substantive posting I've ever seen on here, much appreciated.

This talk about the '17 Draft for me, however is setting up for disappointment with the way this team is going. Members of the anti-tank brigade who don't see that after this weekend never will. To see a team like Arizona again, for the 2nd year in row, take a Keller, or last year a Strome, before the Devils even had a crack is beyond frustrating when Arzona already has an infinitely better talent pool to work with. Not to mention Buffalo getting another scorer in Nylander and getting themselves in the mix now for Stamkos.

The point is that the Devils are worse than bad - they are mediocre. Last year they had the 6th pick in a 5 elite player draft and it seems here they had the 11th in a 10 elite player draft. Those 3-4 wins that put them in those positions in non-playoff years and give them the Zacha-McLeod combo rather than a Strome-Keller combo is just devastating... and I'm not sure how they break out of that.

Their goalie is elite, so they likely wont be a bottom 5 team, but they have no talent, so they won't be a playoff team either. They can't attract significant UFA's because NJ isn't a major market and they, again, don't have significant talent to draw them, and they cant net significant talent via trade because they don't have the assets. The "cap space" asset we heard so much about, to date, has not been much.

I am truly not as negative as these posts may make me seem... I just think that the majority of people are, with all due respect, being naïve about what is facing this team.

First, thanks for the kind words. You guys have all been great to me here. Hope to meet some of you at a Devils game next season.

And you are correct -- the Devils refusal to tank is inhibiting the rebuilding process. But I can't say I support the route teams like Buffalo and Edmonton and Arizona have taken to build their prospect pools. It's disingenuous and lacks integrity. It's another story for another thread, but I personally believe that all lottery teams should go into the lottery with EQUAL chances of winning and the entire order of 1-14 at stake, which would cure "tank-itis" from the NHL.

That being said, Shero has significantly improved the talent base of the organization in just two years, and it's impossible to gauge what he still has up his sleeve. Yes, it's tough to attract UFAs to NJ, but Okposo lives in Jersey. Maybe Shero offers something which gets the Devils to the cap floor and the team gets an impact RW.

Maybe the Oilers get desperate and ship Yakupov east for a 2017 3rd rounder. Maybe Shero works some trade magic (he's done it before) to get a Crouse from Florida or a Nichushkin from Dallas. Maybe Vancouver GM Jim Benning somehow gets even dumber and sends a 2017 1st rounder to NJ for John Moore. Maybe Boston GM Don Sweeney decides 17 checking line Fs are not enough to win with and trades four prospects in exchange for Ryane Clowe, just in case he stops internally bleeding in his brain cavity.

Ok, not all of those were realistic possibilities. I doubt the Dallas Stars give up on Nichushkin so easily.

But look -- if the Devils are out of the playoffs come the 2017 trade deadline, there are likely to be some pretty enticing offers for names like Cammalleri and Greene, two guys entering their late 30's. And maybe by 2018 we get to watch an exciting young Devils team with names like Zacha and Quenneville and Blandisi and Santini and McLeod and Bastian and Anderson and Rykov. And maybe by that time the squad will have a very deep prospect pool behind them.

Look, I've been lucky to see 3 Devils Stanley Cups. And of course I would like to see more. But these things take time, and I like the direction the organization is heading in, and I'm looking forward to seeing NJ's young talent develop.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I already can not wait for Zacha and McLeod to be here full time

Me too.

Zacha likely makes team out of camp, although there is a possibility of bringing him along slowly and bringing him up after room is created after the trade deadline.

I think McLeod brings a complete & smart enough game that he challenges for 3rd line center for the 2017-18 roster.

Out of the remainder of 2016 Devils picks, I believe the most NHL ready may, strangely enough, be Rykov. Kid plays a very calm & polished 2-way game.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Me too.

Zacha likely makes team out of camp, although there is a possibility of bringing him along slowly and bringing him up after room is created after the trade deadline.

I think McLeod brings a complete & smart enough game that he challenges for 3rd line center for the 2017-18 roster.

Out of the remainder of 2016 Devils picks, I believe the most NHL ready may, strangely enough, be Rykov. Kid plays a very calm & polished 2-way game.

2017-18 should be fun, the Devils could have Zacha, McLeod, Henrique, Palmieri, Wood, Quenneville, and maybe Speers all up with the big club.

EDIT: Sorry, just read your earlier post where you said something similar.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Don't mean to turn this into a 2017 Draft discussion, but if we're talking LD, we should probably talk about Jacob Paquette who had a phenomenal season for the Kingston Frontenacs...at this point he's a real mix of a physical shutdown defenseman and a really smart puck-moving defenseman. I think we'll address that need (LD) and maybe take a couple more home-run swings in next year's draft. It seems to me that this draft was about righting the ship.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Don't mean to turn this into a 2017 Draft discussion, but if we're talking LD, we should probably talk about Jacob Paquette who had a phenomenal season for the Kingston Frontenacs...at this point he's a real mix of a physical shutdown defenseman and a really smart puck-moving defenseman. I think we'll address that need (LD) and maybe take a couple more home-run swings in next year's draft. It seems to me that this draft was about righting the ship.

They've certainly bolstered the foundation. They might be in a position to finally be players in the trade market.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

You're good. Impressive.

I don't start scouting 2017 with any gusto until October. I'm likely taking off from these threads to write other non-hockey stuff starting next week. But like I said, if you guys want we to address anything specific Devils-related/prospect-related you can just ask me at @StIves72 and I'll hop back on and post something. I don't charge anything, though the next time I need bail money you're all on the hook.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
You're good. Impressive.

I don't start scouting 2017 with any gusto until October. I'm likely taking off from these threads to write other non-hockey stuff starting next week. But like I said, if you guys want we to address anything specific Devils-related/prospect-related you can just ask me at @StIves72 and I'll hop back on and post something. I don't charge anything, though the next time I need bail money you're all on the hook.

Great posts!!! Thank you for all of this

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Okay, so a lot of Devils fans were tweaked that Shero did not come away from the first round with a Keller or Jost or Nylander or Sergachev, but that's the price of not tanking. It would be nice to get a top line scoring superstar to pair with Zacha, sure, but the more I look at the Devils draft the more I like it.

1 (12) C Michael McLeod
Ray Shero deserves some credit here. After the four players the Devils coveted went off consecutively in picks 7-10, he pulled a fast one to get a free third round pick, convincing Ottawa that either NJ or Carolina wanted Logan Brown, who the Senators really, really wanted. So, Devils ran away with the #80 pick and moved down to #12.

McLeod has taken some slack for his inability to ever compete for the Art Ross Trophy, but hey -- all the best scorers went where they should have... in the top 10. And what does McLeod bring? Foremost, he is the best skater in the entire draft. Anyone who does not realize what that kind of speed can do was not watching the past Stanley Cup Playoffs. With all the talk of Crosby and Malkin, the main force in the Penguins' championship run was that no defense could skate with the trio of Bonino-Kessel-Hagelin.

Folks, McLeod is that kind of fast. Every time he hits the open ice with the puck it's like he swallowed a twin-carbine engine and got hit in the butt by a lightning bolt. He's like the Delorean in Back To The Future, for crying out loud. In addition to that, he plays two ways, he's a character guy, he's an unbelievable penalty killer, he's a demon in the face off circle. All of these qualities are qualities the Devils have lacked for several seasons. NJ has been a slow team, a small team, awful in the face off circle.

Let's get behind McLeod -- he's a player. There's a lot of Dylan Larkin in his game, he adds several needed elements to the Devils, and he should be a major part of NJ's future success.

2 (41) RW Nathan Bastian
I must admit, I was really hoping for a high-upside offensive F like Abramov or Bitten with this pick, and instead we took McLeod's linemate from Mississauga/best friend. But again, the more I think about the pick the more I like it.

Since Kovalchuk split back to the land of Nabokov and borscht, how many 6'4 power forwards who can skate and shoot have the Devils had? The number you're thinking of is exactly the same as the amount of one night trysts you've had with Madonna. (Not me, you. Those numbers are different.) Bastian has a sky high hockey IQ, and although he will never be confused with Datsyuk with his on-ice vision, he is a very adept passer. He plays two-ways and has an excellent shot. He bangs in the corners, wins board battles, and wins net-mouth scrums to bang rebounds home.

Again, Bastian is the type of player the Devils have lacked and sorely need. Will he ever score 50 goals? No, but he has the upside of a very formidable, two-way, physical second-line power F. A gamer.

3 (73) RW Joey Anderson
This pick did not have to grow on me -- I loved it right away. Anderson was overlooked due to the fact that his line mates on the US-NTDP were first-round studs Clayton Keller and Kieffer Bellows, but Anderson was no small part of that line's success.

Anderson is an outstanding skater with a non-stop motor. Despite modest size of 5'11-190, he plays a power F game, hustling like a demon, afraid of nothing, a beast in the crease and the corners. He does all the little things it takes to win, is smart as hell, very well coached and conditioned. He's basically a teenage version of Ryan Callahan. Like McLeod and Bastian he has a very high floor, meaning that even if his scoring does not develop enough to translate to a scoring line role, he will be invaluable in the NHL as a checker with speed and guts.

3 (76) TRADED FOR RW BEAU BENNETT
I know, I know -- what kind of idiotic hockey team would trade an early round pick for a talented but injury prone former first round pick who was labeled a bust in their early 20's?

Oh, we're talking about Beau Bennett? I thought we were talking about Kyle Palmieri.

Now, I'm not saying Bennett will be as good as Palmieri, but I will say he's certainly worth a third-round pick in a draft where you have three of them. Bennett can skate, is extremely creative with the puck and has a sneaky-good shot. Sure, there's a lot of IFS here; IF he's healthy, IF he clicks with the Devils' system on the second line. But let's just say those IFS work out this year... we could have 50+ point RWs on both the first and second lines for the cost of three non-first round picks. That's a chance Devils fans should be willing to take.

3 (80) C/LW Brandon Gignac
Another pick I loved right away. One of the best draft writers in the biz is Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst), and he loves this kid. Signac oozes skill, can skate like the wind and plays a responsible two-way game. Sense a pattern here? He is terrific in the face-off circle and has a high compete level. Sense a pattern here?

If the 61 points in 67 games does not impress you, keep in mind he was playing on the second line behind 2015 Islanders 1st round pick Anthony Beauvillier. Gignac got most of the secondary assignments and still managed a point per game in the QMJHL. He's just a tremendous passer and stickhandler, and many scouts think he has even greater offensive upside if moved to the wing. I think he's similar in many ways to Blake Speers, whom the Devils grabbed in the third round in 2015, a real upside pick.

4 (102) LW Mikhail Maltsev
Another pick I loved right away. What do you say to a 6'3-200+ LW with top notch skating, dazzling puck skills and a penchant for hard-nosed, two-way play? You say you'll take him on your team.

Maltsev was one of those kids who would have gone much higher if not for an injury prone draft year. In that sense, he is reminiscent of Christian Dvorak or a guy Devils fans might recall in Petr Sykora. The skill set is there, the smarts and motor are there. We're talking yet another forward with top-6 potential.

LATE PICKS
A few fans bummed out when the Devils announced a 4th-round selection of Saginaw goaltender Evan Cormier. Though projecting 18 year old goalies is even harder than trying to remember what I did last night, he's got NHL size and athleticism and a wicked glove hand. His positioning looks a bit wonky and he flails a bit in traffic, but those are coachable deficiencies.

Tough not to rave about 5th round LHD Yegor Rykov. Ideal size at 6'1-205, skates well, calm with the puck, very good in his own zone. He looked terrific at the world tourney and there's no reason to think he cannot be a rock solid second-pairing defenseman at the NHL level -- a tremendous bargain for a 5th round pick.

Jesper Bratt was a big-time dice roll, real boom/bust type. His skill with the puck is electrifying, his play without the puck is just atrocious. He's small at 5'9-170, but he can make plays at high speed and has a very hard, accurate shot for such a small kid. Like fellow Swede Mattias Tedenby, he's going to need to make it on a scoring line if he will make the NHL at all, hence the "bust" in boom/bust. But the boom? He can be a real Tyler Ennis-type undersized scoring threat. Certainly worth a 6th round gamble.

I can't even find film on Devils' 7th rounder Jeremy Davies. Admittedly, I really really wanted David Quenneville here, but I'm not going to complain about an offensive-minded LHD who led all USHL rearguards in scoring this season for Bloomington. Let's hope he develops into a Brian Campbell-type at Northeastern over the next few years.

CONCLUSION
Look, does the Devils draft rank with Toronto or Winnipeg? No, but they drafted first and second overall. NJ drafted 11th and just missed out on the four scorers they coveted. No use shouting to the heavens about that.

Instead, enjoy a very promising group of new Devils prospects. It can be argued that the Devils had a better draft than Columbus, who drafted third. Better than Carolina and Boston, who each had a pair of first-rounders.

The Devils still need a top-end young scoring winger to pair with Zacha for the foreseeable future. Maybe the Devils will trade for one in the future, or draft one next year. Maybe an idiot GM like Benning in Vancouver or the math geeks in Florida offer NJ Virtanen or Crouse for something expendable. But the fact remains that a team with little organizational depth at forward last week now has substantial organizational depth at forward, and that's something to smile about.

It is clear to me that Shero and Castron and co. have a vision and they are executing that vision with patience and precision. It is extremely conceivable that names like McLeod, Bastian and Anderson will be part of that vision for many improved seasons to come in the future.

Thank you so much for this write-up Steve. Your activity on this board is beloved to me. You sure you're not being considered for Tom Gulitti's old position? ;)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It's all speculation. I think Bastian and Anderson are very close. I like them both a lot. Neither have any bust potential -- their skating/2-way/hockey IQ/character combos will guarantee they are effective bottom-6 types even if their scoring does not come around.

I'm not knocking Wood, I think he's a very good third-line guy for the foreseeable future. But I feel strongly that Maltsev has the talent to be at the top of the LW list by the end of next year.

Quenneville is a prospect I love. McLeod is a prospect I love more. But Quenneville makes the team in 2016-17, in my opinion. He was terrific down the stretch for the Wheat Kings.

Thanks for your complimentary words by the way. I'm probably going to leave these boards in awhile to work on other writing projects, but I can always put something together on here if you have specific things you want me to analyze/discuss: I can be found at @StIves72

I cannot believe no one commented on "I'm not knocking Wood". I was so so proud of that line.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Quenneville was a 2-way force who scored 100 pts between 78 games in the regular season and playoffs while getting the lion's share of tough defensive assignments for the WHL champion Brandon Wheat Kings.

If that was a so-so year, I really don't want to discuss the year I had. Outside of not dying, paying rent every month and those two girls from Rochester, I didn't accomplish nearly as much.

Icing on the cake is that he had the best goal of the entire Memorial Cup.

Also girls from Rochester never end well. Believe me I know. :help::laugh:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you so much for this write-up Steve. Your activity on this board is beloved to me. You sure you're not being considered for Tom Gulitti's old position? ;)

I don't know how you get that job. Can you be nominated?

Gulitti just got hired by a buddy of mine who runs NHL.com here in NYC. But beat reporting is different than what I do, what I do is more like what Mike Morreale does at nhl.com, except I'm much much funnier.

Good Devils guys to follow are Chris Wassel, who I believe is working now at thehockeywriters.com. He loves the Devils, knows hockey inside-out and writes really well. He's on Twitter as @ChrisWasselDFS

Also, Todd Cordell at hockeybuzz.com. I realize hockeybuzz is home of Eklund, known for picking the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup every year and saying things like Giroux is better than Crosby and predicting trades like Scott Laughton for Dustin Byfuglien straight up. But if you can scroll through the "Malkin traded to Blackhawks for Teravainen? e4!" bull#@%$, Todd Cordell writes a very very good, pretty much daily column on all things Devils.

As far as draft stuff in general goes, the best website to follow is thedraftanalyst.com -- Steve Kournianos is as comprehensive as it gets. He'll also answer your questions on Twitter if you ask nice. No one, and I mean no one, scouts the USHL better. He's also a fan of Social Distortion and beer and deserves extra credit for that.

As I keep saying, I'm glad to pop in and write something if any of you have anything specific to ask me. My Twitter is @StIves72 but I warn you that there's more stuff on there about shark attacks and ghosts than hockey. Still, if you hit me up on Twitter and ask me to write something on the HF Boards, chances are I'll come through for you. If I don't respond for a day or two it just means I've been abducted by aliens again or I'm cooling my heels in the drunk tank.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ok, Devils faithful -- it's 1:15 am, so I'm going to go out and scavenge for whiskey.

I'll try to come back tomorrow sometime to answer any more questions on here, but it will be tough between the rock concert tomorrow night and the lobotomy I have scheduled for the afternoon.

The lobotomy is something I have been deeply considering for awhile. I figure it will make it easier for me to understand what the hell Pierre McGuire is talking about.

Group Chat Legend*

I wont go over every post I have made recently on each player, but I think we had one of the best drafts in the league this year.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
First, thanks for the kind words. You guys have all been great to me here. Hope to meet some of you at a Devils game next season.

And you are correct -- the Devils refusal to tank is inhibiting the rebuilding process. But I can't say I support the route teams like Buffalo and Edmonton and Arizona have taken to build their prospect pools. It's disingenuous and lacks integrity. It's another story for another thread, but I personally believe that all lottery teams should go into the lottery with EQUAL chances of winning and the entire order of 1-14 at stake, which would cure "tank-itis" from the NHL.

That being said, Shero has significantly improved the talent base of the organization in just two years, and it's impossible to gauge what he still has up his sleeve. Yes, it's tough to attract UFAs to NJ, but Okposo lives in Jersey. Maybe Shero offers something which gets the Devils to the cap floor and the team gets an impact RW.

Maybe the Oilers get desperate and ship Yakupov east for a 2017 3rd rounder. Maybe Shero works some trade magic (he's done it before) to get a Crouse from Florida or a Nichushkin from Dallas. Maybe Vancouver GM Jim Benning somehow gets even dumber and sends a 2017 1st rounder to NJ for John Moore. Maybe Boston GM Don Sweeney decides 17 checking line Fs are not enough to win with and trades four prospects in exchange for Ryane Clowe, just in case he stops internally bleeding in his brain cavity.

Ok, not all of those were realistic possibilities. I doubt the Dallas Stars give up on Nichushkin so easily.

But look -- if the Devils are out of the playoffs come the 2017 trade deadline, there are likely to be some pretty enticing offers for names like Cammalleri and Greene, two guys entering their late 30's. And maybe by 2018 we get to watch an exciting young Devils team with names like Zacha and Quenneville and Blandisi and Santini and McLeod and Bastian and Anderson and Rykov. And maybe by that time the squad will have a very deep prospect pool behind them.

Look, I've been lucky to see 3 Devils Stanley Cups. And of course I would like to see more. But these things take time, and I like the direction the organization is heading in, and I'm looking forward to seeing NJ's young talent develop.

Thanks for the response, appreciate it and respect your knowledge and opinion. I agree and appreciate the teams success in my lifetime and am willing to be patient thru a rebuild. But am frustrated at the manner in which its happening so far. The "integrity" of a tank-less organization can be likened to a baseball player refusing to take steroids in the 90's, early 2000's. He might say he can sleep better at night knowing he's doing the right thing, but I would bet that he will still have trouble sleeping at night when he worries about now losing his job because he's now playing a different game than everyone else but yet his results are charted by the same standards.

Also - a little advice - put a helmet on.... because you can't suggest trading Andy Greene on this board. He's the captain. You just can't do it.

Shero has a very difficult job. He inherited a mess. While he has greatly enhanced the prospect pool, it would be almost impossible not to. If the Devils pool was ranked, say, 28 heading into this weekend.. what is it ranked now? Same or backwards I would guess. Sure, sure rankings aren't everything but how can we measure progress at this juncture? Eventually there has to be a game changing core of players and the devils have zero and are stuck at zero. How will those players be acquired? The one window where they had a couple in the last decade - 9 and 17 - they went to the SCF.

My point is, something has to change. You can't be not bad enough for the top 5 and not good enough for the playoffs. that's mediocrity, and its a brutal cycle that's hard to get out of. The Rangers were in it for years but the difference is that they are Original 6 with cache with money and city and can buy their way out. What is the Devils answer?

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Great write ups. Thank you so much. I might have missed it, but are you on Twitter? You could/should replace Tom G's covering of the Devils.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006

Keep an eye on David Farrance. LHD with big-time skills. Plays with NTDP.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Real question is: where do you tend bar? We at least need to throw you some tip money for all the work. Great stuff. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad