Devils Draft Review

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Okay, so a lot of Devils fans were tweaked that Shero did not come away from the first round with a Keller or Jost or Nylander or Sergachev, but that's the price of not tanking. It would be nice to get a top line scoring superstar to pair with Zacha, sure, but the more I look at the Devils draft the more I like it.

1 (12) C Michael McLeod
Ray Shero deserves some credit here. After the four players the Devils coveted went off consecutively in picks 7-10, he pulled a fast one to get a free third round pick, convincing Ottawa that either NJ or Carolina wanted Logan Brown, who the Senators really, really wanted. So, Devils ran away with the #80 pick and moved down to #12.

McLeod has taken some slack for his inability to ever compete for the Art Ross Trophy, but hey -- all the best scorers went where they should have... in the top 10. And what does McLeod bring? Foremost, he is the best skater in the entire draft. Anyone who does not realize what that kind of speed can do was not watching the past Stanley Cup Playoffs. With all the talk of Crosby and Malkin, the main force in the Penguins' championship run was that no defense could skate with the trio of Bonino-Kessel-Hagelin.

Folks, McLeod is that kind of fast. Every time he hits the open ice with the puck it's like he swallowed a twin-carbine engine and got hit in the butt by a lightning bolt. He's like the Delorean in Back To The Future, for crying out loud. In addition to that, he plays two ways, he's a character guy, he's an unbelievable penalty killer, he's a demon in the face off circle. All of these qualities are qualities the Devils have lacked for several seasons. NJ has been a slow team, a small team, awful in the face off circle.

Let's get behind McLeod -- he's a player. There's a lot of Dylan Larkin in his game, he adds several needed elements to the Devils, and he should be a major part of NJ's future success.

2 (41) RW Nathan Bastian
I must admit, I was really hoping for a high-upside offensive F like Abramov or Bitten with this pick, and instead we took McLeod's linemate from Mississauga/best friend. But again, the more I think about the pick the more I like it.

Since Kovalchuk split back to the land of Nabokov and borscht, how many 6'4 power forwards who can skate and shoot have the Devils had? The number you're thinking of is exactly the same as the amount of one night trysts you've had with Madonna. (Not me, you. Those numbers are different.) Bastian has a sky high hockey IQ, and although he will never be confused with Datsyuk with his on-ice vision, he is a very adept passer. He plays two-ways and has an excellent shot. He bangs in the corners, wins board battles, and wins net-mouth scrums to bang rebounds home.

Again, Bastian is the type of player the Devils have lacked and sorely need. Will he ever score 50 goals? No, but he has the upside of a very formidable, two-way, physical second-line power F. A gamer.

3 (73) RW Joey Anderson
This pick did not have to grow on me -- I loved it right away. Anderson was overlooked due to the fact that his line mates on the US-NTDP were first-round studs Clayton Keller and Kieffer Bellows, but Anderson was no small part of that line's success.

Anderson is an outstanding skater with a non-stop motor. Despite modest size of 5'11-190, he plays a power F game, hustling like a demon, afraid of nothing, a beast in the crease and the corners. He does all the little things it takes to win, is smart as hell, very well coached and conditioned. He's basically a teenage version of Ryan Callahan. Like McLeod and Bastian he has a very high floor, meaning that even if his scoring does not develop enough to translate to a scoring line role, he will be invaluable in the NHL as a checker with speed and guts.

3 (76) TRADED FOR RW BEAU BENNETT
I know, I know -- what kind of idiotic hockey team would trade an early round pick for a talented but injury prone former first round pick who was labeled a bust in their early 20's?

Oh, we're talking about Beau Bennett? I thought we were talking about Kyle Palmieri.

Now, I'm not saying Bennett will be as good as Palmieri, but I will say he's certainly worth a third-round pick in a draft where you have three of them. Bennett can skate, is extremely creative with the puck and has a sneaky-good shot. Sure, there's a lot of IFS here; IF he's healthy, IF he clicks with the Devils' system on the second line. But let's just say those IFS work out this year... we could have 50+ point RWs on both the first and second lines for the cost of three non-first round picks. That's a chance Devils fans should be willing to take.

3 (80) C/LW Brandon Gignac
Another pick I loved right away. One of the best draft writers in the biz is Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst), and he loves this kid. Signac oozes skill, can skate like the wind and plays a responsible two-way game. Sense a pattern here? He is terrific in the face-off circle and has a high compete level. Sense a pattern here?

If the 61 points in 67 games does not impress you, keep in mind he was playing on the second line behind 2015 Islanders 1st round pick Anthony Beauvillier. Gignac got most of the secondary assignments and still managed a point per game in the QMJHL. He's just a tremendous passer and stickhandler, and many scouts think he has even greater offensive upside if moved to the wing. I think he's similar in many ways to Blake Speers, whom the Devils grabbed in the third round in 2015, a real upside pick.

4 (102) LW Mikhail Maltsev
Another pick I loved right away. What do you say to a 6'3-200+ LW with top notch skating, dazzling puck skills and a penchant for hard-nosed, two-way play? You say you'll take him on your team.

Maltsev was one of those kids who would have gone much higher if not for an injury prone draft year. In that sense, he is reminiscent of Christian Dvorak or a guy Devils fans might recall in Petr Sykora. The skill set is there, the smarts and motor are there. We're talking yet another forward with top-6 potential.

LATE PICKS
A few fans bummed out when the Devils announced a 4th-round selection of Saginaw goaltender Evan Cormier. Though projecting 18 year old goalies is even harder than trying to remember what I did last night, he's got NHL size and athleticism and a wicked glove hand. His positioning looks a bit wonky and he flails a bit in traffic, but those are coachable deficiencies.

Tough not to rave about 5th round LHD Yegor Rykov. Ideal size at 6'1-205, skates well, calm with the puck, very good in his own zone. He looked terrific at the world tourney and there's no reason to think he cannot be a rock solid second-pairing defenseman at the NHL level -- a tremendous bargain for a 5th round pick.

Jesper Bratt was a big-time dice roll, real boom/bust type. His skill with the puck is electrifying, his play without the puck is just atrocious. He's small at 5'9-170, but he can make plays at high speed and has a very hard, accurate shot for such a small kid. Like fellow Swede Mattias Tedenby, he's going to need to make it on a scoring line if he will make the NHL at all, hence the "bust" in boom/bust. But the boom? He can be a real Tyler Ennis-type undersized scoring threat. Certainly worth a 6th round gamble.

I can't even find film on Devils' 7th rounder Jeremy Davies. Admittedly, I really really wanted David Quenneville here, but I'm not going to complain about an offensive-minded LHD who led all USHL rearguards in scoring this season for Bloomington. Let's hope he develops into a Brian Campbell-type at Northeastern over the next few years.

CONCLUSION
Look, does the Devils draft rank with Toronto or Winnipeg? No, but they drafted first and second overall. NJ drafted 11th and just missed out on the four scorers they coveted. No use shouting to the heavens about that.

Instead, enjoy a very promising group of new Devils prospects. It can be argued that the Devils had a better draft than Columbus, who drafted third. Better than Carolina and Boston, who each had a pair of first-rounders.

The Devils still need a top-end young scoring winger to pair with Zacha for the foreseeable future. Maybe the Devils will trade for one in the future, or draft one next year. Maybe an idiot GM like Benning in Vancouver or the math geeks in Florida offer NJ Virtanen or Crouse for something expendable. But the fact remains that a team with little organizational depth at forward last week now has substantial organizational depth at forward, and that's something to smile about.

It is clear to me that Shero and Castron and co. have a vision and they are executing that vision with patience and precision. It is extremely conceivable that names like McLeod, Bastian and Anderson will be part of that vision for many improved seasons to come in the future.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Excellent write up. Thank you for this.

As I said in the draft thread. Shero was in Pitt setting up the building blocks for what become Pitt's cup team this year.

He knows that formula and it isn't a coincidence that the overall trend in his first two drafts is speed and elite skating.

He wants the Devils to become a big and fast team and we are well on our way to becoming that.

Also yes indeed, our forward depth has drastically improved with this draft, and we added some interesting defense prospects as well.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Thanks for the write-up, it's great to read some positive things about this class. Reflecting on things now that the dust settles, I'm only a bit disappointed in the 2nd rd pick. I like Bastian and we lack RW depth. I'll be rooting for the kid, I was just really hoping for Kuokkanen or even Dineen for some diversity of skill. I thought the Devils would be able to steal an underrated talent (Kuokkanen)....hopefully Bastian will surprise and really develop. It's possible that the Devils could very quickly have a glut on the right side to deal from after being practically barren there.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Nice write up! Is they draft going to change the history of the franchise? No. But it seems holes were addressed and there are 3/4 guys that have very realistic possibilities of making the nHL at some point...and a few others that might break out and surprise.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Totally agree with the assessment here. I'm probably a little higher on Bastian but this is the type of draft that brings players for championship teams. Fast, big, powerful skaters are so important and we drafted a lot of them. We didn't get any "stars" but we did a very good job bringing in players who can be essential long term.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
After doing some reading and watching some videos others have posted, I like our draft. We got some players with potential to be players in this league and that's all anybody can ask for on draft day. Looking forward to seeing how they all develop.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Great job. I'm pretty much happy with our first three picks and the two Russians. What's really cool is that several of our picks could be playing in the upcoming World Juniors. Than we will definitely have a better idea about McLeod's upside. Thanks for the great read.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Gotta give Shero credit for sticking to his guns. "Fast, attacking, supportive" and he really meant it.

McLeod and Bastian are great picks for his vision of the team, Maltsev has sleeper written all over him, Rykov seems like a slow-burn Colton White kinda guy that sounds like a future pro. The rest of the guys seem like lottery tickets we can put on the back burner and hopefully have something in 2-3 years.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We are getting faster which is a plus.

Devils are bigger, Devils are faster, Devils are smarter than two days ago.

Shero & co. drafted big, smart, fast two-way players all throughout the draft. There's vision there. This team is going to be a lot tougher to play against a couple seasons down the road.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Devils are bigger, Devils are faster, Devils are smarter than two days ago.

Shero & co. drafted big, smart, fast two-way players all throughout the draft. There's vision there. This team is going to be a lot tougher to play against a couple seasons down the road.

I think an understated aspect is the two way games.

Shero wants this team to be defensively responsible, which we will need to be as we won't be a top 15 offense anytime soon.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
All I know is that as I was looking through each player's draft thread on our board Steven pretty much said each pick was a good one. I don't really think this was the best of draft years but I like what they did overall. Anderson and Gignac are my two favourite later round guys and I've warmed up to McLeod, his speed is actually unbelievable. Very excited to see how this crop turns out.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Bastian looks promising, but if he has such an excellent shot how does he only have 38 goals in 153 games in the juniors? When I first saw his numbers I just naturally assumed that his shot was his weakness.

Great write-up Steve, much appreciated and I agree this was a VERY solid draft by the Devils and Shero.

Group Chat Legend*

Id give our draft weekend (even though it isn't over until Monday at 12am) a grade of an A-.

I think we are better off getting Mcleod than a lot of the names thrown around here. Those types of players win and lead teams to championships, not offensive wingers.

Got some steals in the middle-late rounds, minus the Bratt pick; I still question that one since he is a LW.

Overall great job by Shero and the scouting staff.

All that is left is to acquire a solud 3rd liner (Eakin, Helm, etc.) and either a Top 6 RW/C or a top 4 LHD

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steven what would you say the are projected timetables in terms of NHL readiness for these guys?

No one is making the team in 2016-17.

2017-18: McLeod and Rykov could compete for a spot on the Devils.
2018-19: Bastian, Anderson, Gignac and Maltsev should be able to compete.

Cormier, Bratt and Davies are long-term projects.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
All I know is that as I was looking through each player's draft thread on our board Steven pretty much said each pick was a good one. I don't really think this was the best of draft years but I like what they did overall. Anderson and Gignac are my two favourite later round guys and I've warmed up to McLeod, his speed is actually unbelievable. Very excited to see how this crop turns out.

I'm an optimist, at least until I sober up.

McLeod will certainly be fun to watch. Man, can he skate the lights out. It's like playing Techmo Bowl with Bo Jackson.

Keep a close eye on a healthy Maltsev next year. 6'3-200 two-way LWs with high skill/compete levels don't grow on trees. This kid might really shoot up the prospect rankings in his post-draft year.

Group Chat Legend*

Steven,

Why do you think they chose Davies over Quenneville?

This isnt a question one can really answer, since we dont even know if we looked at him.

One could compare Brown to Mcleod, as we swapped back cause we wanted Mcleod more

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00