Post-Game Talk: Devils crush the Caps 6-0: The Dea Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Should be interesting to see how this year and off-season plays out for Kinkaid and the impending UFA goalies.

You have Rinne, Bobrovsky, Varlamov, Howard, Talbot, Elliott, Neuvirth, and Miller (38 years old) all turning UFA this off-season. Then some guys in the "who the hell knows what to expect" ballpark as Kinkaid like Nilsson, Chad Johnson, Koskinen, Mrazek, Lehner, and a quickly-turning-into-Swiss-cheese Mike Smith.

I just wonder where Kinkaid falls in all of that. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him return to the Devils to tandem with Schneider, albeit on a deal closer to the 3 million AAV range.

Schneider is making 6M for 3 or 4 years to go next season I can't imagine Kinkaid backing him up at $3M. I think Kinkaid would demand nothing less than $4 M. We shall see.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Or setting himself up for a paycheck here. But it’s way too early at 2 games in.

It is too early but you have to go back to the end of last season. If he continues to preform well I would expect him to demand $4 M and I can't imagine the Devils paying $10 M for two goalied. Schneider isn't going anywhere unless hurt and Kinkaid would demand the money because he is sitting for 3 or 4 yrs. But it is too early and we haven't seen Schneider play constantly. Lets wait until just after the first of 2019.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You generally have to pay close to that anyway, if you have a starter making $5-8 million and a backup making $1-2.5 million. We're paying $7.25 million now between Cory and KK and that's with both on good contracts relative to their position. Besides we're never going to hit the cap celing in the forseeable future anyway, what's the difference if we have to overpay by a million or two on goalies?
Just because you can afford to overpay for a position doesn't mean you should. Having a 33 year old goalie making $6M to sit on the bench is a bad look.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Schneider is making 6M for 3 or 4 years to go next season I can't imagine Kinkaid backing him up at $3M. I think Kinkaid would demand nothing less than $4 M. We shall see.
He wont back up Schneider . One of the goalies wont on the team next season (odds are its kk and he will get a starters spot next season). Though imo Schneider can play himself off the team if he doesnt rebound to avg.
As for how much he will get, it comes down to 1, which offer has him as a #1 starter, which will be determined by 2, how he maintains and Improves this season.

Reactions: Maine Fan

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Just because you can afford to overpay for a position doesn't mean you should. Having a 33 year old goalie making $6M to sit on the bench is a bad look.
Never overpay.. thats business 101. You play whoever's better ....if that's the guy who cost less and the bigger contracts on the bench so be it (or you trade him).

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
The way it looks right now, and admittedly it's one-sided because we haven't seen Cory play this year so things could change, but as of right now it looks like Kinkaid should be the guy going forward. He's younger, cheaper, better, healthier, and doesn't appear to be declining. But logistically I have no idea how to get out of Cory's deal.

You guys are certainly right that there are a lot of horse**** GMs that make really dumb trades, and we know Shero is a great trading GM. But I don't see an obvious solution.

LoU. He has greis and the depressed one, but hes only signed for one season. He made the trade for cory, and drafted kk. I can see either cory or kk going to li

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
If Kinkaid continues to impress I wouldn't be shocked if Ray extends him during the yr or right at the start of summer an moves Cory at the draft. I THINK Cory is gonna come back an be back to form an if that happens ignore what I just said but if Kinky an Cory are neck an neck come year end ? I think Cory's time in Jersey ends.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I'm not convinced Kinkaid should be the guy going forward, unless you mean in the short term. I'm still skeptical that he can be a (good) starter in the league, but I'm also no longer convinced that Cory is better than him anymore. Not because I think Kinkaid is great, but because I just don't think Cory is good anymore and he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt after back to back .90-something seasons. Cory doesn't deserve a very long leash when he gets back or try to shake the rust off, if Kinkaid is playing well.

I am starting to believe that if Keith has a good season, some team will sign him to compete for the starter spot next year, much like the Sabres gave Carter Hutton. Perhaps it's our team that keeps him. A new contract won't cost much and if Cory has a third year in a row of below average goaltending, he absolutely can't be the starter going forward.

Took you long enough to see what I saw years ago about kk. He always had the skill, athleticism.. only thing that was missing was him putting 1 and 1 together, which he did when cory went down and he saw his chance.
And I've been saying Cory's nothing more then an avg goalie for years.... idc what stats say, eye test showed it after his 1-1.5 good season stretch.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if murray doesn’t return to form and schneider does, dumoulin and sprong for kinkaid and boyle at the deadline?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Took you long enough to see what I saw years ago about kk. He always had the skill, athleticism.. only thing that was missing was him putting 1 and 1 together, which he did when cory went down and he saw his chance.
And I've been saying Cory's nothing more then an avg goalie for years.... idc what stats say, eye test showed it after his 1-1.5 good season stretch.
To be honest, I'm still not convinced he'll be a long term starter, but we do frequently see goalies (particularly backups) that get signed by a team in UFA after having a couple good years heading into free agency. Carter Hutton was the most recent one.

Although I think more than likely it's a rebuilding team or one that feels it has not much to lose by signing him to be a starter/1a or 1b goalie.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if murray doesn’t return to form and schneider does, dumoulin and sprong for kinkaid and boyle at the deadline?
I'd totally do that, but even if Cory does have a good year, I'm still gonna be skeptical that he'll be good next year. See my Jimmy Howard example. He had a good year after a few poor ones, then reverted right back to the poor declining version the next year.

That said, we can always look for goaltending elsewhere or even re-sign Kinkaid if we want. I don't see Pittsburgh wanting to keep Kinkaid long term, if they did make that trade.

For what it's worth, DeSmith was a lot better than Murray last year. I think they'd be fine with riding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad