Friedman: Devils could trade Seversons rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If they can make the contract work, I would say Stars would be close to the front runner for him in terms of fit for team and player.

He’d be guaranteed to play with one of Miro or Lindell which are the type of partners he needs.
I was thinking of landing places for Severson and thought Dallas would be a perfect fit. They have the kinds of potential defensive partners to mitigate Sevs' flaws, and his playstyle syncs well with Dallas' quick-transition/rush play.

Suter buyout would almost certainly have to happen to make it work though.

Reactions: piqued

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Because Graves is better defensively. Simple.

It isn't even remotely close either.
Well you’re right that it’s not close, at least.

Graves got hard carried by Marino defensively all year. He was a tire fire when Marino was out and a tire fire when he had a different partner (in limited minutes).

Put Graves with the Bahls and Smiths of the world and then see how good he is defensively.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Well you’re right that it’s not close, at least.
I also believe that you're right that the Devs won't miss Sevs once Nemec is ready to go. Which could be this year. Or maybe he spends another year in the A to develop. Either way, I don't think they need Severson in the long run. Not with Nemec and Luke all but ready to go.

They should pick Graves over Severson. Or Sevs over Graves if they like his fit more.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I also believe that you're right that the Devs won't miss Sevs once Nemec is ready to go. Which could be this year. Or maybe he spends another year in the A to develop. Either way, I don't think they need Severson in the long run. Not with Nemec and Luke all but ready to go.

They should pick Graves over Severson. Or Sevs over Graves if they like his fit more.

They should let both walk

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
They don’t need graves or Severson in the long run. They’re both luxuries the team won’t have cap space or roster spots for in a year.

Transition might be rough for a bit, but they should move on from both guys now. Simply can’t afford the term either deserves and Luke and Nemec simply need to play to reach their potential.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
This not a good free agency class. AFP has him projected to get one of the biggest contract on the market (6 x 6.1...Orlav has a higher AAV but less years in their projection).

I'm pretty sure that Evolving Hockey has him projected for something similar (6 x 6.1)

I think a team will snap him up for around 5/5.5 territory and be very happy.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Is this serious? I am a Panthers Fan but i love Hockey and recognise the play of Severson Years over Years and also in the Panthers Series. I love how he play Hockey and i love what he brings on delievere on the Ice. So who ever get his right and is able to sign him, i would love to add him.

One of top 10 Defensman we have in the League playing in his own Zone.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Severson is going to get paid and rightfully so. He has been a top 50 defenseman in the NHL for 3+ years now. And he's only 28.

If Devils could get a 3rd rounder for his negotiating rights that would be a great return.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
is he a stay at home guy/ defensively responsible?
I think he could look good with Simon Edvinsson on Detroits 2nd pair, need RHD bad after Seider and have stupid amount of cap space.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
For HOLL rights!!! Lol
IMG_2364.gif

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
is he a stay at home guy/ defensively responsible?
I think he could look good with Simon Edvinsson on Detroits 2nd pair, need RHD bad after Seider and have stupid amount of cap space.
He is a good puck moving defenseman. Respectable defensively, moves really well, very durable. As long as you have someone to slot ahead of him to take tougher matchups (Seider will be that guy), he will do well.

As has been said, he can make some catastrophic gaffes though. He’ll have stretches of great play and then he’ll do some really dumb shit. But he’s a perfectly good 2nd pairing guy.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Some dumb GM is going to overpay Damon Severson handsomely, while also dumping a 3rd round pick just to negotiate with him before July 1st.

Severson needs a stay at home type of partner to be effective as Severson isn’t the most proficient defender in his own zone.

2024 3rd round pick would be a solid return. Anyone willing to give that??

I would have to say the thing that could make the most sense here is the Devils allowing Severson to talk to select teams (probably Western Conference) about 8 year extensions. I could see a team like Seattle or Edmonton being interested in a long-term deal at a cheaper AAV then he would get on the market.

Might be the best way for the Devils to get an asset out of Severson, as that is the only thing they can offer that a team can’t on July 1st. Unless they don’t allow certain teams within the division to talk to him and try to grab an asset for his rights, Carolina could make some sense for that scenario.

Congrats to people who educated guessed a 3rd or were thinking about 8 years.

I never thought Severson could have gotten more than a 5th nor did I think he was going to be the 2nd ever sign & trade after Tkachuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad