Friedman: Devils could trade Seversons rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I view Severson as a guy who never became as good as hoped, at times was overrated for his tools vs what he actually was as a player, but he's by no means bad and also is at the prime/most experienced stage of his career.

I think he's a 2nd pairing guy, and a 5 year deal at reasonable salary would probably be fine. Question is how much more than that does he want/is going to get.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Stars could really use him
If they can make the contract work, I would say Stars would be close to the front runner for him in terms of fit for team and player.

He’d be guaranteed to play with one of Miro or Lindell which are the type of partners he needs.

Reactions: bossram

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Ironically it's New Jersey that needs offensive defensmen. They are not scoring (15th) from D in regular season and that was exactly their problem during playoffs also.

Severson is their second most offensive defensman but he is used incorrectly sometimes. Whoever gets him will be happy. Only problem is the money. I would keep him and Miles Wood. Their GM is a bit off rewarding big names, and not understanding how they compare to each other.

Instead I would let Palat, Haula, Sharangovich, Lazar go.

This is NJD D offensive rankings:
Dougie Hamilton 0.02532
Damon Severson 0.01978
Ryan Graves 0.01584
Kevin Bahl 0.01460
Jonas Siegenthaler 0.01375
John Marino 0.01199
Brendan Smith 0.00487
How do you propose they, let Palat go?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
During the 2nd intermission Friedman reported that teams are asking NJ, if they can't sign him would NJ trade his rights and NJ is not saying no.

I wonder which teams are interested, the man has multiple seasons of 30+ points so you have to think any team that needs offense from the blueline would show some inrerest, there are certainly teams out there would don't generate enough offense from their defense.

I wonder if Toronto inqures seeing as Rielly is the ONLY one that can generate offense on their defense.

I also wonder about Pittsburgh, considering Dubas is there and he's always had interest in Severson, plus Letang is 35 and has had 2 strokes.

Where do you think he goes?

Although Edmonton should look at improving their defense, they'll probably add a guy like Severson to improve puck moving on the back end. Mawr offense!

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Sevs is a good player, full stop. People remember the gaffes because they’re really obvious but 98% of the time he’s real solid, great at moving the puck, and has driven play shockingly well.

And he’s played well both when sheltered and when relied on for tougher minutes. Devils gonna miss him fierce until Nemec comes along.
I'd resign Ryan Graves before Severson.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Ironically it's New Jersey that needs offensive defensmen. They are not scoring (15th) from D in regular season and that was exactly their problem during playoffs also.

Severson is their second most offensive defensman but he is used incorrectly sometimes. Whoever gets him will be happy. Only problem is the money. I would keep him and Miles Wood. Their GM is a bit off rewarding big names, and not understanding how they compare to each other.

Instead I would let Palat, Haula, Sharangovich, Lazar go.

This is NJD D offensive rankings:
Dougie Hamilton 0.02532
Damon Severson 0.01978
Ryan Graves 0.01584
Kevin Bahl 0.01460
Jonas Siegenthaler 0.01375
John Marino 0.01199
Brendan Smith 0.00487

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Not worth trading anything for his rights. Just wait for free agency and make him an offer. If he refuses move on. He’s a decent second pairing defender who will make his fair share of mistakes. He’s going to make too much money on his UFA contract.

He whined about being on a losing team too many times. I find it amusing that now that the team is finally starting to be good again they’re moving on from him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow, Damon Severson's UFA rights...start the bidding war

What could that even be worth? A 5th/6th round pick...

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Severson is a decent enough player better than most people here think but I can't imagine anyone is breaking down doors to get his negotiating rights.
Someone will just overpay him day 1 of free agency

Reactions: TBF1972

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Where does Jokijarju and Lybushkin play?
I think they go after Ryan Graves and bump Stillman/Bryson/Clague to the press box.
In the third pair they play and one of them is in the press box. We need a top 4 D, Graves would probably work too.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Severson on your bottom pairing will be wonderful.

Severson on your middle pairing will be serviceable, with numerous notable huge gaffes.

Severson on your top pairing is great if you're hoping to draft Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Christ, why?

One of those dudes is good. One of those dudes is versatile. One of the those dudes rode with the team at their lowest.

Maybe Graves should be a little cheaper, but not nearly enough.
Because Graves is better defensively. Simple.

It isn't even remotely close either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's a really bad Dman that requires some heavy sheltering to be effective, and somebody is going to massively regret giving him $6M+ a year.
I really can't tell if this is sarcasm.

He definitely is prone to the Big Mistake here and there, but he's been a workhorse for the Devils and all-around quite effective. No, he's not a matchup defenseman. Just don't use him like that and his next team will be happy.

Given the Devils' cap situation and prospects coming up, they just don't have room for him.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

This not a good free agency class. AFP has him projected to get one of the biggest contract on the market (6 x 6.1...Orlav has a higher AAV but less years in their projection).

I'm pretty sure that Evolving Hockey has him projected for something similar (6 x 6.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad