Friedman: Devils could trade Seversons rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
During the 2nd intermission Friedman reported that teams are asking NJ, if they can't sign him would NJ trade his rights and NJ is not saying no.

I wonder which teams are interested, the man has multiple seasons of 30+ points so you have to think any team that needs offense from the blueline would show some inrerest, there are certainly teams out there would don't generate enough offense from their defense.

I wonder if Toronto inqures seeing as Rielly is the ONLY one that can generate offense on their defense.

I also wonder about Pittsburgh, considering Dubas is there and he's always had interest in Severson, plus Letang is 35 and has had 2 strokes.

Where do you think he goes?

Reactions: Guillermo

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I do feel like the devils possibly being able to trade seversons rights says a lot about the free agent class, tbh

Reactions: MCB and hn777

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He's a good but not great player. He deserves a good payday but not for anything over 5.5 million a year. He's a good support player but certainly not a core one. I would move his right for literally any draft pick we can get since we won't be signing him dude to Luke Hughes or Simon Nemec filling his position in the next year or two.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Severson on the bottom pairing has been a luxury. He’s definitely a middle pairing RD who will probably get paid well this off season. Sure he makes his mistakes, but when used in the right situations, he’s played real well, specifically the last two seasons. The Devils are going to miss him initially, until Nemec grows into the NHL player he’s predicted to be.

If there’s a lot of suitors, I imagine the Devils can get a 3rd-4th round pick for his rights.

Last edited:

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Sevs is a good player, full stop. People remember the gaffes because they’re really obvious but 98% of the time he’s real solid, great at moving the puck, and has driven play shockingly well.

And he’s played well both when sheltered and when relied on for tougher minutes. Devils gonna miss him fierce until Nemec comes along.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if this signals the return of the 4th round pick for someone's rights that was a summer hallmark back in the early 2010s.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wonder if this signals the return of the 4th round pick for someone's rights that was a summer hallmark back in the early 2010s.
I might know of a team that

1. Is in desperate need of a second pair D to play with their stud young player

2. In no way needs to select another mid round pick after taking 22 players the last two drafts

3. Has more cap space than God

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I might know of a team that

1. Is in desperate need of a second pair D to play with their stud young player

2. In no way needs to select another mid round pick after taking 22 players the last two drafts

3. Has more cap space than God

You could add a #4 that the GM of said team was public with comments during his end-of-year press conference about laying groundwork with teams still in the playoffs. Maybe there would be something to that.

Or maybe it is another team. But speculation is more fun. :biglaugh:

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
He’ll get the Tyler Myers’ special.
likely....and now I'm worried because canucks fans have been wanting this guy forever and seems like he's not worth the money he's going to get from many of the comments here.

at least we don't have the cap space to repeat the myers error

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I can see a team like Anaheim being a good spot for him. They need D bad and If the Ducks make the right moves, I can see them being relatively close to the playoffs. Kind of a similar thought to what Dougie Hamilton had with the Devils. He knew coming in the first few years may be tough, but they can exceed expectations in year 2 and maybe make the playoffs. He’d be a great fit on the power play as a QB too with some of those young skilled forwards.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i am devils fan and i like severson. from time to time you pull out some of your few remaining hairs after one of his patented brain farts. still the good outweighs the bad over a full season. if i had today the choice between 5 years of hamilton @9m and 5 years of severson @6m, i would pick severson.

trading for his ufa rights is crazy. trading for any ufa rights is crazy. you just give the agent and player a free pass to ask for more term and/or money.

likely....and now I'm worried because canucks fans have been wanting this guy forever and seems like he's not worth the money he's going to get from many of the comments here.

at least we don't have the cap space to repeat the myers error
myers and 1st for severson's ufa rights. :naughty:

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Not the kind of player a legit competitor has on their dcore. Also interesting that Severson having a few 30+ point seasons makes him interesting to teams that want offense but in another thread Parayko was derided as a pure shutdown with no offensive ability for the same totals.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i am devils fan and i like severson. from time to time you pull out some of your few remaining hairs after one of his patented brain farts. still the good outweighs the bad over a full season. if i had today the choice between 5 years of hamilton @9m and 5 years of severson @6m, i would pick severson.

trading for his ufa rights is crazy. trading for any ufa rights is crazy. you just give the agent and player a free pass to ask for more term and/or money.

myers and 1st for severson's ufa rights. :naughty:

Did you delete a post? because I got an alert saying you qouted my post but there is no quote

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hope Detroit stays away from overpaying for him. He is just meh, even at the cap hit he currently has. Brutal if he gets more. Just ok offence and not physical or great at defence.

Ledge And Dairy

I can see a team like Anaheim being a good spot for him. They need D bad and If the Ducks make the right moves, I can see them being relatively close to the playoffs. Kind of a similar thought to what Dougie Hamilton had with the Devils. He knew coming in the first few years may be tough, but they can exceed expectations in year 2 and maybe make the playoffs. He’d be a great fit on the power play as a QB too with some of those young skilled forwards.
What Dougie Hamilton brought to the Devils was a massive upgrade on the blue line over Severson. Severson does not have nearly that effect going elsewhere. He is a solid #3 defenseman.

I'm also very confident in saying Anaheim is no where close to the playoffs even if they add Severson. Not to mention they have a lot of young high potential dmen in their system that would be blocked by a long term Severson deal.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Did you delete a post? because I got an alert saying you qouted my post but there is no quote
i wanted reply to nuckster's comment but somehow replied to one of yours. so i deleted the reply to your post and answered to his.

sorry to confuse you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad