Post-Game Talk: Devils @ Columbus - NJ is Cannon Fodder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Can someone please explain why we (or any team) would use a passive-style PK?! So not only does the other team have a man advantage, but you're going to let their players get set up in the zone AND have time/space to try and find an opening through traffic?

The ironic thing is that then we are on the PP and I guess the coaching staff doesn't see the aggressive-style PK killing us.. The Jackets gave us no time or space to even get set up in the zone, and when one of our players had the puck, they were right on us so that we had to make quick decisions rather than having time to find the best possible play (something that we allow the other team to do easily with our passive-style PK)

Good teams play an aggressive PK.. I don't know what the coaching staff is looking at and/or thinking if they truly believe that a passive PK is the right strategy

I agree 100% but we are too slow to try to install an agressive PK.
Zach was a tremendous penalty killer.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
A "suicide pass" is when the pass is either BEHIND the player or in any direction that forces him to turn away from the play, leaving him open to getting steamrolled (hence the "suicide" part).

It is not (as the poster suggested and you are copying from) a bad pass with a high risk of interception.

AKA a "hospital puck" or "buddy pass".

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yup, and Fayne has played like azz as well.

And that's the problem.

At this point, I'd call up Gelinas and give the kid a shot in Harrold's slot since he's similar to Harrold's role, or in Volchenkov's spot since Volch has been the Devils worst Dman this season.

Nice thought, but soooooo not happening under this coach. I mean debating Harrold over Larsson is frustrating enough, but asking for Gelinas, and whether it is a good idea or not, is so out of the realm of possibility that I don't really think it's worth talking about.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Would JJ be a worthwhile upgrade here?

For as much as we love Zajac's D, he's certainly not what one would consider a quick or fast skater.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
We stayed in the seats between the 2nd and 3rd - maybe.

There was a surprising amount of Devils fans on hand. Lots of old-school jerseys too. We caught sight of a #29 Marty throwback jersey.

CD had his Rafalski on and I had my Richer throwback on.

There were quite a few really sharp Devils sweaters floating around the Arena, last night. Most of the ones I noticed were on college age kids who might be OSU students from Jersey. My wife and I are little dots, in your picture, above the Zamboni entrance and just below the entrance to the section. I'm sure we enjoyed the outcome more than you, but are glad that you at least had a good experience in the Arena District. Looking forward to a growing rivalry with the Devils and expect the Ex-Rangers (many), Flyers (Umberger), and Bruins (Horton) to help fuel it!

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I know you just learned this relatively uncommonly used hockey term last night since it was used in the thread we were both viewing, but the poster you learned it from used the term wrong.

A "suicide pass" is when the pass is either BEHIND the player or in any direction that forces him to turn away from the play, leaving him open to getting steamrolled (hence the "suicide" part).

It is not (as the poster suggested and you are copying from) a bad pass with a high risk of interception.

Alright, teachable moment over, now I'm really leaving this depressing thread.

original.0

(MOD)

And a suicide pass does not have to be behind a player. It can be in front, at the skates - anywhere that forces the guy to put his head down or look for the puck.

But hey you knew that because you're like a Lexicon or whatever.

This is twice now. First you accused me of saying Cory played a poor game and I wanted Larsson gone for a second. Now you assume and pontificate nonsensically because I guess you want to show how smart you are?

Interested in act 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I know you just learned this relatively uncommonly used hockey term last night since it was used in the thread we were both viewing, but the poster you learned it from used the term wrong.

Alright, teachable moment over, now I'm really leaving this depressing thread.

original.0

youre arguing over a technicality. it was a ****** pass, one with a high probability of being turned over even if loki did get it, and it shouldnt have been made. plain and simple. call the pass what you want, but the issue here is harrold

(who, IMO, played much worse than fayne)

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
There were quite a few really sharp Devils sweaters floating around the Arena, last night. Most of the ones I noticed were on college age kids who might be OSU students from Jersey. My wife and I are little dots, in your picture, above the Zamboni entrance and just below the entrance to the section. I'm sure we enjoyed the outcome more than you, but are glad that you at least had a good experience in the Arena District. Looking forward to a growing rivalry with the Devils and expect the Ex-Rangers (many), Flyers (Umberger), and Bruins (Horton) to help fuel it!

I've gone to almost every game the Devils have played in Columbus and despite some lean years with the team and the economy - the fans there are great. Passionate and polite, and the staff is exceptional as well. The arena still is one of the best around and I can't believe how much it's grown up in the district there with even more coming. The ballpark was a great addition and only bolsters the entertainment value of the area for families. More places to eat, shop, live all within blocks - it's really a point of pride for the city and fans.

And I love that damn cannon! It's a love/hate thing obviously. :rant:

I could do with less ex-rangers scoring however.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
A suicide pass is a commonly used term and for those of us who played hockey, we know since we didn't play at high levels that the passes during games and practices weren't always the sharpest/smartest :laugh:

But if it has to be resorted to busting somebody's balls about a hockey term to feel superior.....yikes

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Wait so, I saw in the GDT that people were blaming Schneider for that backhand goal? Did you see the level of screening provided by Zidlicky on that one? Schneider didn't even see the puck until it was a foot or 2 in front of him. No goalie is going to expect a guy to throw a backhand on net from that high in the slot, so he couldn't even anticipate there was going to be a shot. He had absolutely no chance on that, especially since the thing was labeled for right inside the post (it was a beautiful backhand).

Yet it gets called "softy" by people on here :laugh:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wait so, I saw in the GDT that people were blaming Schneider for that backhand goal? Did you see the level of screening provided by Zidlicky on that one? Schneider didn't even see the puck until it was a foot or 2 in front of him. No goalie is going to expect a guy to throw a backhand on net from that high in the slot, so he couldn't even anticipate there was going to be a shot. He had absolutely no chance on that, especially since the thing was labeled for right inside the post (it was a beautiful backhand).

I agree 100%. Backhanders are already the hardest shot to read for a goaltender, let alone through the maze of bodies that were in front of Schneider. Definitely not an easy goal to stop.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
that backhand was just too good in the end. the zip on it was crazy, way too hard to expect

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

Ughhh I was thinking this was probably the case (because we played a very aggressive PK in 2012) but was too afraid to admit it.. You have confirmed my worst nightmares.. And if anyone remembers, we had the exact same style PK under MacLean :shakehead

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Ughhh I was thinking this was probably the case (because we played a very aggressive PK in 2012) but was too afraid to admit it.. You have confirmed my worst nightmares.. And if anyone remembers, we had the exact same style PK under MacLean :shakehead

And if anyone remembers we had pretty dandy PK in 2012 campaign regular season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I've gone to almost every game the Devils have played in Columbus and despite some lean years with the team and the economy - the fans there are great. Passionate and polite, and the staff is exceptional as well. The arena still is one of the best around and I can't believe how much it's grown up in the district there with even more coming. The ballpark was a great addition and only bolsters the entertainment value of the area for families. More places to eat, shop, live all within blocks - it's really a point of pride for the city and fans.

And I love that damn cannon! It's a love/hate thing obviously. :rant:

I could do with less ex-rangers scoring however.

i used to love columbus before re-assignment. is the crowd as quiet as they seem on TV? (being on a team in a glass house and all)

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008

But if Brodeur was in net people would still be talking about that goal, saying how "soft" it was and that he should retire. I'm sick of it

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

He clearly did not see the puck.

Only question I'd have is: should he have?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Funny, in a morbid fandom kind of way, I'm glad they lost. Ok, not really, but this has to motivate Lou to start something going. Or its just my wishful thinking :dunno:
I'm kinda thinking the same thing. This probably sounds bad, but once the score was 3-1 I knew we weren't coming back. So I hoped for a few more CBJ goals just to make this look like a blowout. Maybe force Lou to blast PDB already.

Then he's absolutely gotta save Wisniewski's shot from the point. Even he said that he should have made that save.

It's no big deal because I kinda knew we wouldn't score more than 1 goal. Every goalie gives up a softy or two sometimes, so I'm not really worried.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
But if Brodeur was in net people would still be talking about that goal, saying how "soft" it was and that he should retire. I'm sick of it

Well I wouldn't have, but no doubt the amount of people calling out the goalie for that goal would have been greater if it was Brodeur.

Some people just don't understand screens, and look at the goal in a vaccuum. What type of shot was it? Where was it taken from? Oh, a slapshot from 40 feet out? Definitely should have stopped it. Nevermind the defenseman that went down in front of the shot, didn't block it, and ended up acting as a screen. All the goalie's fault. <---Enactment of reactions after the Karlsson goal in Ottawa. Nevermind the defensive breakdown that lead to the 3 on 2, and Volch going down and failing to block the shot. Marty's fault.

He clearly did not see the puck.

Only question I'd have is: should he have?

With Zidlicky standing clear in the way of his line of sight? No he shouldn't (couldn't) have seen it.

FireandBrimstone

Oct 23, 2013
Ohio
Made it to the game last night via tickets my wife got me for my birthday. We were in section 112 row G. Perfect view of Ryder's sweet goal! Nice dish from Jagr out of the corner to set it up. At that point, I felt the Devils were on track to another win. Truely felt bad for Corey. I felt he made some underrated saves in the game. Went home disappointed, but glad to see my team play...but not happy overall with quality of product. Zidlicky's cross-ice pass in front of a Jacket's player deep in the defensive zone in the 3rd period made me sick. Don't want to compare this team to the ones of old, but our defense NEVER made plays like that. We were too sound on D to make those kind of mental mistakes. But here's to hoping things get turned around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad