Confirmed with Link: Devils buy out Volchenkov

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
Seriously, I prefer a youth movement over any FA signings.

But, if Lou is going to do any FA signings, it better be for someone of true use like:

Jussi Jokinen, Moulson, Cammalleri or Stansty.

I wouldn't mind Erhroff for the right price & contract. But Lou will do the safe thing of signing Orpik or Stralman instead. {puke}

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Seriously, I prefer a youth movement over any FA signings.

But, if Lou is going to do any FA signings, it better be for someone of true use like:

Jussi Jokinen, Moulson, Cammalleri or Stansty.

I wouldn't mind Erhroff for the right price & contract. But Lou will do the safe thing of signing Orpik or Stralman instead. {puke}

NO.... Yes.... Maybe.... YES YES YES

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
seriously, i prefer a youth movement over any fa signings.

But, if lou is going to do any fa signings, it better be for someone of true use like:

Jussi jokinen, moulson, cammalleri or stansty.

i wouldn't mind erhroff for the right price & contract. But lou will do the safe thing of signing orpik or stralman instead. {puke}

no more defensemen!

Status Quo*

I liked Volch. Did everything that he was told. Good PK guy and shot blocker but man, that cap hit killed. Glad we were able to clear space. Needed that more then anything.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
gotta give credit where its due, well done lou. did what was necessary, now get those three youngins in that top six (AL, JM, EG). still dont think fayne comes back, but more due to the contract he is going to warrant which is fine.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Lou will always try to deal a player before trying to buy him out, that's how Lou rolls. When there's time, you take it.

When Lou was younger, probably started his assignments 10 minutes before he had to hand them in

Look like the reduction of the salary cap was the determining factor. If the cap was $71 Volch would probably be back.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
13.9 to spend
Larsson and Gelinas-signed 1.75 mil each
Kinkaid-750K
Josefson-1 mil
Carter-1 mil
We are going to have around 7 million to spend

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Look like the reduction of the salary cap was the determining factor. If the cap was $71 Volch would probably be back.

What do you mean reduction in salary cap? It went up from last season. Lou bought out Volch because nobody was willing to take him in a trade.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
LOL people actually thought that Lou wasn't going to make any moves at all and bring back the same team again.

The levels of complaining and negative prognostications on this board have reached epically embarrassing proportions.

CKPLAYA

Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
What do you mean reduction in salary cap? It went up from last season. Lou bought out Volch because nobody was willing to take him in a trade.

Weren't you the resident cap expert that claimed you can predict the cap well into the future. Well the fact that the cap came in at 69 and not 71 is what made the buy out a priority.

GhostofKenKlee

LOL people actually thought that Lou wasn't going to make any moves at all and bring back the same team again.

The levels of complaining and negative prognostications on this board have reached epically embarrassing proportions.

The best is the constant same points they make over and over. Glad to see people eating crow, but the crow is really a turd sandwich they made.

It's the hipster thing to do, react to things that haven't happened yet and rip into anything Lou.

This place is being ruined by Berks.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I actually liked Volchenkov, as a stay at home shot blocking machine but this is the right move rather than using the buyout on Sal. It is a big reduction in cap space and Sal only has 1 year left. In my opinion Fayne was good but he can be replaced by Merrill, Larsson or Gelinas.

yeah - clearly the right move by Lou, but I'll sad to see that guy go. Complete warrior, never complained, his wheels were shot when he busted his leg a couple of years back during the lockout and he just deteriorated from there.

Wouldn't mind seeing Sal go next -

CKPLAYA

Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
The best is the constant same points they make over and over. Glad to see people eating crow, but the crow is really a turd sandwich they made.

It's the hipster thing to do, react to things that haven't happened yet and rip into anything Lou.

This place is being ruined by Berks.

There really is no crow to eat. Lou himself has come out and basically said in TG's blog that had the cap not come in at 69 instead of 71 he would not have made the move. That in itself proves the critics on here right. While the right move was made he really had no intention of making it until he was forced to. The issues about him running this team are still there. He actually just confirmed it for us.

GhostofKenKlee

Worst case Sal goes LTIR ala Chris Pronger.

I hope Lou does sign Fayne to a reasonable cap friendly deal long term. PArt of me thinks the South Beach of the Artic will offer a ton of money and years.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
****. Let's get rid of Zubrus then. That's not enough money

geez. Why can't we just make space and let our young players have a shot instead?

I don't want any UFA dmen. I don't want 30+ guys like Camm. What, we learned nothing from Ryder, Clowe debacles?

If he spends any money, it should be for young guys who could stay here and be part of our core going forward - or just let Boucher and Matteau get some learning time.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
An unfortunate but needed action. Volch's play was give or take exactly what we wanted when the contract was signed, but the game is changing and he doesn't fit with the future of the sport nor with where this team is headed. Class act though, guy did his job when asked... too bad the cap hit was just too high and the prospect pool is developing quickly.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
not really. I already came out and said I was wrong about this. Lou did a good job.

more for what I can say about some people on here who just apparently live in la-la world where everything is OK

Perhaps the people who live in "la la land" simply enjoy watching Devils hockey, even if they aren't perennial contenders, and aren't ready to waste precious energy whining and complaining when they don't know the full story.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Not really, the posters here just like getting their panties in a bunch when their wants and needs aren't immediately assuaged by Lou Lamoriello.

Then when they have egg on their face, they back pedal and try to rationalize the absurdity.

Your post is just further evidence. Not once is there the very realistic contemplation that ownership would not allow a Volch buyout at a 71MM cap.
I think we are actually being more realistic expecting the worst but hoping for the best, this is not the Lou of 2000 this Lou of 2014, he's lost a step

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad