Gelinas
Larsson

Potential NHL call-ups in the AHL
Hrabarenka
Scarlett
Severson
Helgeson
Burlon (assuming he is re-signed)

Hopefully Harrold will not be a member of the starting night roster and Fayne will, since it's almost certain that Merrill, Gelinas, and Larsson will be on the roster (Merrill because he earned it, Larsson because he has to be, and Gelinas because he's waiver-eligible). Fayne would really strengthen and stabilize the D.

This a good sign in my opinion that ownership is interested in the team by itself.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I remember a lot of Devils fans saying hear a couple years ago that coaching systems really restricted Volchenkov from playing the game like he did in Ottawa. Do you still think that is true?

eh, I'm not sure how true that is.

Volch actually was pretty good last year as a bottom pairing/PK guy, but his contract is just too much.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Good move. I think Volch played well last year. But given the uncertainty of this coming year... let alone the year after, it had to be done.

I think Salvador is about shot, too. However, I can understand if we keep him around. This is a step in the right direction.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I remember a lot of Devils fans saying hear a couple years ago that coaching systems really restricted Volchenkov from playing the game like he did in Ottawa. Do you still think that is true?

His mobility has deteriorated every year he has been here.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I rather them have bought out the cremated ashes of Bryce Salvador but whatever.

Good luck finding someone that's actually willing to block shots and be actually physical like Volchenkov.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
So how much money does this leave us with to spend on forwards (assuming we don't sign a dman, don't keep Fayne, and our backup is cheap)?

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
I actually liked Volchenkov, as a stay at home shot blocking machine but this is the right move rather than using the buyout on Sal. It is a big reduction in cap space and Sal only has 1 year left. In my opinion Fayne was good but he can be replaced by Merrill, Larsson or Gelinas.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Lou will always try to deal a player before trying to buy him out, that's how Lou rolls. When there's time, you take it.

When Lou was younger, probably started his assignments 10 minutes before he had to hand them in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad