GDT: Devils @ Bruins: Dunkin' Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
It might be easier at this point to just watch the extended highlights on NHL.com than to watch the games.

All I'm going to say is the assistants need to be dismissed at the end of the year. Not a single player on this team is better because of them. They don't teach fundamentals well as these guys continue to make the same mistakes time and again. If this team doesn't improve on both ends next year, say a 0 goal differential, the Hynes has to go and Shero's seat needs to get uncomfortably warm. If they aren't sniffing playoffs in 18-19, Shero needs to go.

If I were the GM, Hynes would be gone already.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It might be easier at this point to just watch the extended highlights on NHL.com than to watch the games.

All I'm going to say is the assistants need to be dismissed at the end of the year. Not a single player on this team is better because of them. They don't teach fundamentals well as these guys continue to make the same mistakes time and again. If this team doesn't improve on both ends next year, say a 0 goal differential, the Hynes has to go and Shero's seat needs to get uncomfortably warm. If they aren't sniffing playoffs in 18-19, Shero needs to go.

If I were the GM, Hynes would be gone already.

I'm okay with keeping Hynes through next year, provided he isn't extended past 17-18, until we reassess after NEXT season and determine then if he deserves to be or not.

I wouldn't cry if he was canned either though. Perhaps he isn't making the team worse, but is he really making them better? No one can convince me that he's responsible for this team even having a single point more than it otherwise would have with any normal average NHL caliber head coach. You can make good points to argue that he's not doing enough to keep us from having one point fewer than we would have with most anyone else, but don't **** on my leg and tell me it's raining. That's exactly what arguing that he's got this team with more points than it should, is pretty much doing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What'd he say?

Called out the performance, said they weren't good enough.

Pretty much said ''We sucked balls tonight and were godawful'' without actually saying that. I think he also said ''Unacceptable''. And said Schneider was the best player on the ice, which was what I've been saying all along from 10 minutes into the game. But since we lost by one goal, people will be fooled into thinking we played acceptable.

While Lappin thought we defended pretty well and Prout said Schneids is such a great goalie after the 1st period, and that they don't mind padding his stats and letting him make 18 saves in a period.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He could have went on to say that they didn't do enough to chase down loose pucks too.

Well just look at the players. Our forwards are filled with half AHL players who are clearly a step behind with what they want to do.

Were icing a lineup full of waiver fodder or AHL players. Henrique, Zajac, Hall, and Palmieri are the only four legitimate players we have right now. To me the score and shots adequately reflect that.

Not sure if teams are just taking it easy against the Devils but I honestly expected them to get dominated worse than this. Seems like Bruins had a lot of zone time and quantity of shots (both expected with our lineup) but Devils didn't really give up too much.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well just look at the players. Our forwards are filled with half AHL players who are clearly a step behind with what they want to do.

Were icing a lineup full of waiver fodder or AHL players. Henrique, Zajac, Hall, and Palmieri are the only four legitimate players we have right now. To me the score and shots adequately reflect that.

Not sure if teams are just taking it easy against the Devils but I honestly expected them to get dominated worse than this. Seems like Bruins had a lot of zone time and quantity of shots (both expected with our lineup) but Devils didn't really give up too much.

How much worse could they have gotten dominated in this game? You mean as in got lit up on the scoreboard? Are you kidding me?

Thank #35 for that. He could have EASILY allowed 3 more goals tonight.

I don't think it could have gotten much worse, unless we allowed 50 shots. The Montreal game in December was definitely worse than this. Don't let the score fool you. We didn't play respectable at all. It was ALL goaltending in this one that kept the game close and the score respectable. We gave up a **** of a lot in this game. I think you're letting the score fool you in this one, with all due respect.

If any team was taking it easy on us in these last two, it was Washington.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Some of that "AHL fodder" is supposed to be young guys that we were hoping would have a future on this team. I'm so sick of seeing prospects or new additions playing like they might be legit NHLers for 20 games and then falling off a cliff. It's getting to the point where I don't put any stock into the so-called potential of any of these guys. It's been five ****ing years since we've seen someone come into the fold who was able to prove they are legit, and even he is nothing special
(Henrique). Not counting Larson since he's not even here anymore.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I wouldn't say Henrique is "nothing special". He's just asked to play a role that is above his level. But yes the drafting and development of players has been atrocious for quite some time. It's been getting better but we're still quite a ways off.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Our top young guys are either hurt or not on the team. Most of the guys up were never projected higher than bottom 6ers.

Their inability to win puck battles as been an issue all year with every configuration of this team FYI. Blame that on the regulars not working hard enough, or coaching. Which ever you prefer. Either way this team has not been giving honest efforts for a large chunk of their games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Calling out Cory for the game winner is awful. That's the goal he had the least chance on, if he had a chance on any. I wouldn't count any of them as stoppable. First goal he did a decent job at controlling the rebound, nobody in white got it and it wound up becoming a goal with a Bruins player directly up in his face with a screen.

Lappin scored goal 2 with a perfect deflection.

Greene ain't that great anymore, but he ain't that bad either. When he's out, we look even worse.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
How much worse could they have gotten dominated in this game? You mean as in got lit up on the scoreboard? Are you kidding me?

Thank #35 for that. He could have EASILY allowed 3 more goals tonight.

I don't think it could have gotten much worse, unless we allowed 50 shots. The Montreal game in December was definitely worse than this. Don't let the score fool you. We didn't play respectable at all. It was ALL goaltending in this one that kept the game close and the score respectable. We gave up a **** of a lot in this game. I think you're letting the score fool you in this one, with all due respect.

If any team was taking it easy on us in these last two, it was Washington.

Here's the thing. I see us getting outclassed by other teams from a roster perspective and it's not even close. Other teams are deeper than us at forward and goaltending and it shows in all three zones.

The only slimmer of hope the Devils have right now is completely outworking the other team, which means every single line they roll out is working hard. Realistically, that's completely unsustainable and with the difference in skill there's a chance they do all that and nothing comes of it. Sure it'll happen in a full game every once in a while; there will also be brief moments within a game.

Devils spent a lot of time in the defensive zone, as expected with the team we're icing, but our play there wasn't that bad. Hynes seems to employ this man-on-man defensive zone scheme and it seems like every time we win a puck battle or get the puck it's a mess. There's a forward at defense, a defender at the blue line, etc. and nobody knows where to go. Lovejoy would win the puck in a battle at the blueline and then wouldn't know where to go with it. Or a forward would win a puck battle and not know where his teammates were to move the play up the ice.

Just seems like the type of system where you need a cohesive unit with chemistry and the Devils don't have any of that with this mash-up line-up.

Some of that "AHL fodder" is supposed to be young guys that we were hoping would have a future on this team. I'm so sick of seeing prospects or new additions playing like they might be legit NHLers for 20 games and then falling off a cliff. It's getting to the point where I don't put any stock into the so-called potential of any of these guys. It's been five ****ing years since we've seen someone come into the fold who was able to prove they are legit, and even he is nothing special
(Henrique). Not counting Larson since he's not even here anymore.

You're surrounding AHL fodder with AHL fodder and playing them up against NHL-caliber teams. What in the world do you expect?

Washington called up Jakub Vrana and was able to play him alongside Burakovsky and Eller on their THIRD line. Bruins have a rookie in Cehlarik playing LW with Krejci and Pastrnak. Devils have Blake Coleman centering Stefan Noesen and Nick Lappin tonight. They had Blandisi playing with Kevin Rooney and Smith-Pelley. Not even to mention the difference in a guy like Coleman, Rooney, Lappin and guys like Vrana from a prospect perspective.

See the difference?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This team wasn't showing chemistry when healthy either.

Their inability to know where to be on the ice runs way deeper than just a depleted lineup.

This is my problem too, they are always out of position. There's no discipline, guys are just running around the ice like dogs chasing cars. A patient, disciplined team will always dissect them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is my problem too, they are always out of position. There's no discipline, guys are just running around the ice like dogs chasing cars. A patient, disciplined team will always dissect them.

It has been a nightmare defensively all year. None of the forwards know where to be. The D don't seem to either.

Nevermind they are so bad at winning puck battles. I don't get how none of them can properly win a board battle.

Something is just fundamentally wrong in that locker room. Progress will never be made when they play like this.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Many shifts each game feature all 3 Devils forwards in their offensive zone on the same side of the ice or all within a few feet of each other in the same corner, leaving just our defensemen left up high. The opponents naturally have their few guys open (who aren't battling for the puck) up the middle and on the other side of the ice for an easy zone exit. It's bad when a fan watching on TV can anticipate where the puck is going to go and what type of play is going to develop out of the zone into the neutral zone :laugh:

It is like mites on ice, everybody goes where the puck is and this has nothing to do with the amount of skill a team has, it's basic hockey. It is alarming that it continues game after game and is something that falls on coaching.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Also, when a Devil has the puck and is skating with it towards the offensive zone, another forward always seems to skake right towards the player with the puck which decreases the open ice and leads to a turnover or botched pass.

That must be getting taught/coached.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Many shifts each game feature all 3 Devils forwards in their offensive zone on the same side of the ice or all within a few feet of each other in the same corner, leaving just our defensemen left up high. The opponents naturally have their few guys open (who aren't battling for the puck) up the middle and on the other side of the ice for an easy zone exit. It's bad when a fan watching on TV can anticipate where the puck is going to go and what type of play is going to develop out of the zone into the neutral zone :laugh:

It is like mites on ice, everybody goes where the puck is and this has nothing to do with the amount of skill a team has, it's basic hockey. It is alarming that it continues game after game and is something that falls on coaching.

It's frightening just how incredibly accurate this is.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I got to watch very little of the game. Curious how Prout was in his debut. Not expecting anything but he didn't seem to stand out in a bad way from what I saw.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I got to watch very little of the game. Curious how Prout was in his debut. Not expecting anything but he didn't seem to stand out in a bad way from what I saw.

Nobody other than #35 was good. Wood and DSP both had some nice looks and blasted them wide, at least DSP scored on one though. Two crazy wide misses by Wood.

I can't single anybody out for being worse than others, but everyone sucked, as Torts would say. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad