GDT: Devils @ Bruins - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It’s unfortunate how things turned out for Ruff, especially given the goaltending. I din’t think he’s a bad coach, but we need change. Out metrics as a team aren’t bad, especially offensively, and he should get SOME credit for that, but, as I said, team needs a new voice imo. Didn’t mind him as a transition coach.
I don’t think he’s a good coach, but I never thought he really was. I don’t actually really think he’s a worse coach now then he ever really was though.

Otherwise I agree. I can’t see going into next year with him and Recchi. Nas has been here forever, so I don’t really expect him back either.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Only watched the first period and was relatively proud of our boys. Then went to see the band Low, looked at the score on my way home and holy f***, what happened…

Hey, I learned LOW are still kicking around so the whole night wasn’t a bust. I kind of forgot about them. (90s bands = best bands)

Reactions: CDJ and Oneiro

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Please do not blame Coach Ruff for the results of the NJ Devils.

There is a very long list; he is just one of the many pieces that is the problem. If the only change is a new coach, this will not fix the Devil's problems now or in the future.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Only watched the first period and was relatively proud of our boys. Then went to see the band Low, looked at the score on my way home and holy f***, what happened…

Low, huh. nice.

what venue?

sounds like a solid evening ....i still havent seen a live show in over 2 years...

i do fondle my instruments daily but its not the same as seeing someone else play

Reactions: Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hey, I learned LOW are still kicking around so the whole night wasn’t a bust. I kind of forgot about them. (90s bands = best bands)
Yeah, still going strong. Their newer records are still them but very not-90s somehow too.
Low, huh. nice.

what venue?

sounds like a solid evening ....i still havent seen a live show in over 2 years...

i do fondle my instruments daily but its not the same as seeing someone else play
Webster Hall. Very solid evening, they were great. The pandemic is over for most people from what I saw. It's been good going out.

To keep the post relevant, this was a benchmark game for me and the kids did not pass. I do think there's something to be said for expecting a team to play stronger out of support for their shitty goaltenders and in that respect, I feel like Ruff doesn't have an answer for the team as a whole, even if a guy like Nico or Boqvist becomes harder to play against. Reading over this thread, it looks like a lot of the complaints are basically system/habits-related.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
At least we weren't the first out in our division. But damn. Feels bad, man.
Who even gives a shit about such a useless moral victory over not being the first loser in the division? Like that’s t where the bar is at. That’s how shit this team is and how pathetic our management group is they got some fans saying this to feel better about an utter failure of season.

Reactions: McDuffz88

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
75969494-0602-4849-9683-514BF52AC996.png

Hughes was the only one that had a positive game score.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I just don't see a goaltending solution next year that doesn't involve giving Blackwood a final chance.

Making two goalies go away to sign two new ones gets expensive in a hurry. One sure, but two is nuts.

Bernier's hip is busted. You can't expect shit from him. Healthy Blackwood has the highest upside vs anyone we can sign unless we go crazy on the trade market.

Bring someone steady at worst to cover him if he implodes again and then we go from there.

If a true starter becomes available, don't be afraid to trade major futures for one.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The team you’ve been crying about all year ran into the hottest team in the league and got outplayed. What a tragedy. The goalies gave them absolutely zero chance to win even if they played a decent game.
this has nothing to do with goaltending and nothing with the skaters and nothing with coaching and nothing with the management. every season there are a few games for every team, where everything goes wrong and you just have no chance to win.

making conclusion in one or the other direction based on this game is definitely not getting us closer to contention. forget about and approach the next game with a fresh mind.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I just don't see a goaltending solution next year that doesn't involve giving Blackwood a final chance.

Making two goalies go away to sign two new ones gets expensive in a hurry. One sure, but two is nuts.

Bernier's hip is busted. You can't expect shit from him. Healthy Blackwood has the highest upside vs anyone we can sign unless we go crazy on the trade market.

Bring someone steady at worst to cover him if he implodes again and then we go from there.

If a true starter becomes available, don't be afraid to trade major futures for one.
you keep blackwood and give him chance to be the starter.

you try to add a new goalie as a back up or starter 1b and let them battle for the minutes.

you keep bernier in the ahl as an insurance for injury call ups. if someone picks him up from waiver, you haven't paid any assets to unload him or stretch his salary for another year with a buyout.

if you can't find a quality back-up/1b, you need an insurance goalie in the ahl.

Last edited:

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
I don’t think he’s a good coach, but I never thought he really was. I don’t actually really think he’s a worse coach now then he ever really was though.

Otherwise I agree. I can’t see going into next year with him and Recchi. Nas has been here forever, so I don’t really expect him back either.
You can’t fire the coach when you haven’t given him the proper tools. That would be a dickhead move. By not securing NHL goaltending fitz has given ruff a pass on this year

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
You can’t fire the coach when you haven’t given him the proper tools. That would be a dickhead move. By not securing NHL goaltending fitz has given ruff a pass on this

Moving on without Ruff would not be a a D-Head move. This team has played exceptionally well at times this year and I feel they are capable of playing well next year. A change in coaching can make the difference. We are certainly not as bad as last night's score.

Ruff is not progressing, he is regressing and losing the team. I have watched Devils hockey since 1987 and fear some of our fan base is beginning to accept really bad hockey. This team was unprepared and mismanaged last night, bad goaltending or not.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
As much as I feel Ruff needs to go, I also shift some blame towards Devils GM Fitz with how he keeps the same team intact year after year with such little trade activity. Look around, most teams having a good season have been active making moves.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
As much as I feel Ruff needs to go, I also shift some blame towards Devils GM Fitz with how he keeps the same team intact year after year with such little trade activity. Look around, most teams having a good season have been active making moves.
Seems like fitz is only willing to make the safe moves. In my mind shero was the same way. You aren’t going to win every deal sometimes you have to take some chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad