GDT: Devils @ Blue Jackets - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You give up 4+ goals a game ... you are not a good goalie sorry to say
When they’re on bad teams with terrible defenses which leave them completely exposed goalies often give up a lot of goals.

He could be an average goalie getting a lot of abuse lol

Reactions: Dylan9z9

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought the Studenic goal sucked. Boqvist takes a shot from a bad angle that really should have been absorbed and covered before Studenic could poke it home.

Was the Nico goal the one that leaked through him? That was a tough one just because guys moved right in front of him on that one. And they were screening him from just a few feet in front of him, not like 20-30 feet out.
Boq was passing to Stud's but I'm pretty sure the defender deflected it. Tough play for the goalie there.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'll say this:

It's hard to be mad at them this game, they played extremely hard, and given the roster was like half its usual members, awesome effort by Studs, Mcleod (minus the stupid 3rd period penalty), Greer all game. Same with Hughes, Nico and Mercer.

Tatar was kinda wonky, not bad, not great, flubbed a few plays. Boq was decent, neither awesome nor bad either. Defense was solid outside of Ty Smiths 1 play where he decided NOT to "take a hit to make a good play." Hope he learns from that. I didn't see many problems on defense otherwise.

BAD puck management in d zone tonight by forwards. Tatar, Kuokkan x 1 million, Nico even a missed clear.

BLackwood was decent, all the goals not really on him. The first and game winner were great shots, the Hughes deflect gaffe, and one more i'm missing. Oh well.

I am disappointed we didn't come out with 2pts, or at least 1pt, because it kind was a must win in terms of momentum in the bubble chase. It's probably a pipe dream at this point, but i was a hoping it could be kept alive more strongly..

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Re: Blackwood this is one of those game that goalies have. He was not bad, but mediocre. The problem is he has too many of these nights (or worse).

He just isn’t good enough.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You give up 4+ goals a game ... you are not a good goalie sorry to say

When they’re on bad teams with terrible defenses which leave them completely exposed goalies often give up a lot of goals.

He could be an average goalie getting a lot of abuse lol

Blackwood has not played well for much of this season. I think there has been some shoddy play in front of him, but Blackwood has not been good.

But tonight it was not on Blackwood. One goal off his own man. One goal after Smith fell in the corner leading to 2 CBJ's all alone in front, one a really nice PP goal and the other which I don't fully rember except it was a one timer that rattled in off the corner. Won't call them unstoppable, see the save on Nico, but these goals tonight were absolutely more on the skaters in front of the goalie, then the goalie himself.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Re: Blackwood this is one of those game that goalies have. He was not bad, but mediocre. The problem is he has too many of these nights (or worse).

He just isn’t good enough.

maybe but wouldn’t you like to see how he’d play without a painful heel? Remember Johnsson last year? Given how this season is going to play out I agree that the team needs a second goalie option for next year who isn’t on his last leg but I’d give MBW a chance to redeem himself before just dumping him.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Hughes was awesome once again. He’s a star. Dude won’t get stopped/hit posts 4-5 times a game every game. Some of those will go in. When he doesn’t get points, that’s the type of game we want to see him play. He’s playing awesome.

Liked him and Dawson together. Dawson is playing well. Nico had a good game too. I love our 1-2-3 punch at center. It’a gonna be dangerous.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Blackwood has not played well for much of this season. I think there has been some shoddy play in front of him, but Blackwood has not been good.

But tonight it was not on Blackwood. One goal off his own man. One goal after Smith fell in the corner leading to 2 CBJ's all alone in front, one a really nice PP goal and the other which I don't fully rember except it was a one timer that rattled in off the corner. Won't call them unstoppable, see the save on Nico, but these goals tonight were absolutely more on the skaters in front of the goalie, then the goalie himself.
I thought Korpisalo was being discussed. I admit I sometime get confused by the different streams of conversations in the live GDT. (Though I could have sworn Korpi was being discussed around there.)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hughes was awesome once again. Dude won’t get stopped/hit posts 4-5 times a game every game. Some of those will go in. When he doesn’t get points, that’s the type of game he has to play.
I thought Hughes was playing a little greedy tonight, and given the lineup I don't blame him. In general I think it's a good thing if he becomes more greedy, but there will be some growing pains, and I thought tonight was a growing pains game for him. Not that he wasn't dangerous but I thought he held the puck a bit when he should have passed it.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
maybe but wouldn’t you like to see how he’d play without a painful heel? Remember Johnsson last year? Given how this season is going to play out I agree that the team needs a second goalie option for next year who isn’t on his last leg but I’d give MBW a chance to redeem himself before just dumping him.

If he is healthy enough to play he is healthy enough to perform.

His overall profile is that of someone who is a journey man backup. I know there are injuries, but he hasn’t been good this year. He wasn’t good last year. He wasn’t good the first half of 2019-20. His minor league numbers before getting called up were bad. It is very much looking like he had a couple of hot stretches that made it look like he is better than he is.

He’s 25 already. It’s at a point where we can’t goin in banking on Blackwood being a bonafide starter because it is sinking seasons. You got to show up ready to play.

Reactions: RyGuy and Mgd31

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I thought Hughes was playing a little greedy tonight, and given the lineup I don't blame him. In general I think it's a good thing if he becomes more greedy, but there will be some growing pains, and I thought tonight was a growing pains game for him. Not that he wasn't dangerous but I thought he held the puck a bit when he should have passed it.
Yeah, I felt like he tried to carry the load with all of the wingers out, and he did a good job. We know he can carry though. He’s getting loads of chances. I liked his play, and I’m satisfied with it even without a point.

Reactions: devilsblood

My3Sons

Sponsor

his choice was playing greedy or passing it to my dad. That should be an easy decision but my dad’s hip replacement muddies the waters a bit.

My3Sons

Sponsor

His overall profile is that of someone who is a journey man backup. I know there are injuries, but he hasn’t been good this year. He wasn’t good last year. He wasn’t good the first half of 2019-20. His minor league numbers before getting called up were bad. It is very much looking like he had a couple of hot stretches that made it look like he is better than he is.

He’s 25 already. It’s at a point where we can’t goin in banking on Blackwood being a bonafide starter because it is sinking seasons. You got to show up ready to play.

Players who play well while hurt are generally the exception not the rule. His mental game isn’t sharp lately which may it may not be based on his physical injuries.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Jack was very good tonight outside the bad luck goal against. He was the play driver on the team’s second goal, and he set up the shot Nico got robbed on. He’s the least of the team’s worries.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Being healthy enough to play, and having to play every night because the 1b option is out for the season are two different things.

And during his first 70 games in the NHL he had a .916 save %. That's solid.

Reactions: Guttersniped

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
lol wtf yall want hughes to do? he was the offense with Mercer and Nico
A)Stud's scored one goal. Vesey scored another tonight.

B) I said in my post that I think Hughes being greedy is a good thing. But there were times tonight when he forced the play to no avail.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thing folks are nit picking tonight.

Severely depleted lineup which screws up line chemistry and had to play 11/7 which screws up the lines and pairings even more.

They played pretty solid and nearly got a point despite that if not for a bit of hard luck and miscues due to all the above issues.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I have to say, regardless of the game results, it has been awesome watching Jack Hughes break out like this after coming back from injury. Kid is a legit star, and growing ever more dangerous by the day.

I don't think we've had a player this electric on offense since Kovalchuk (though I may be blocking out some memories of the Hall years). Hopefully once some actual NHL level wingers come back from Covid more of the golden chances he generates will be finished, and that will help drive the team to wins.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I have to say, regardless of the game results, it has been awesome watching Jack Hughes break out like this after coming back from injury. Kid is a legit star, and growing ever more dangerous by the day.

I don't think we've had a player this electric on offense since Kovalchuk (though I may be blocking out some memories of the Hall years). Hopefully once some actual NHL level wingers come back from Covid more of the golden chances he generates will be finished, and that will help drive the team to wins.
Hall 17-18 > Kovy 11-12

We may never see a more dominant performance by a Devils forward in one season in our lifetimes. Thats how amazing Hall was that season. That team had no business making the postseason.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Thing folks are nit picking tonight.

Severely depleted lineup which screws up line chemistry and had to play 11/7 which screws up the lines and pairings even more.

They played pretty solid and nearly got a point despite that if not for a bit of hard luck and miscues due to all the above issues.
We were competitive and almost came away with a win, just if a few bounces went our way, in a game where we iced a garbage lineup. Not much to complain about really, the effort was there we were just missing way too many players.

Reactions: Devs3cups

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hall 17-18 > Kovy 11-12

We may never see a more dominant performance by a Devils forward in one season in our lifetimes. Thats how amazing Hall was that season. That team had no business making the postseason.

I don't know that I agree with that. I've never seen a player for the Devils influence a game more than Kovy did. And that team also had no business making the playoffs and yet he carried them on a broken back to the SCF.

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad