GDT: Devils @ Blackhawks: Good Heavens, Look at the Time Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Interesting stat I noticed. Zajac already has 56 shots on the season. He had 111 in 74 games last year. He's on pace for 199 shots, which would be the second highest total in his career. The most he's ever had is 210, and that was during his career best 67 point season.
The second goal looked like goals that he scored more often back in those two big seasons with Parise. One of the reasons I think his goal scoring has dropped off since then is that he shot isn't all that great anymore. If he can shoot it like that more often, I think he'll definitely have a 20 goal season.
This year has been a revelation for Zajac. He's looking like his '09/'10 self. He might not be a #1 center, but he's certainly playing like one.

Only watched parts of the game. Tough loss, but it was a encouraging performance. Team played well and it was an incredible even game on the road against one of the best teams in the NHL.

Now that we are healthy, if we can continue to get these type of performances out of Wood/Lappin, this team does have some nice potential even this year. Hopefully once Bennett comes back, DSP is the odd man out. Palms had two assists but still needs to be more productive in possessing the puck.

Never thought I'd say it, but Schneider is costing us games at the moment. Now that doesn't mean I think he's done or think he sucks, but it's the reality right now. I don't think any player is above getting criticized when they're struggling and right now he's one of the main problems. Now do I think this is just a slump? Yea probably, but something to keep an eye on. If Schneider was playing like the goalie we've seen the past 2/3 years or really his whole career, we'd probably have 2 or 3 more wins.
Cory is definitely playing poorly, but I expect him to go on a huge run pretty soon. He started off 14-15 this poorly too, probably even worse. The only concerning thing is that he's allowing too many even strength goals. If a lot of these were on the PK, it wouldn't be as concerning. He's been pretty damn awesome on the PK and pretty brutal at even strength. I expect him to go on a run pretty soon, I just hope we're still scoring goals at the rate we've been since he's been playing poorly. We'll win more often than not if that's the case.

I was fine with this lineup, I don't really think it needs to be changed for the next game. But I can unfortunately see 7D or Merrill in for Auvitu again. I can also see forward changes but do we really need them?

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Cory has been on a horrible stretch, probably the worse in his career. That Anisimov goal was total BS. What a weak rebound to give... Cory just strikes me as a not clutch goalie, he can't hold wins... his teams didn't help in much in his career, but he just allows goals at the worst time possible.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory has been on a horrible stretch, probably the worse in his career. That Anisimov goal was total BS. What a weak rebound to give... Cory just strikes me as a not clutch goalie, he can't hold wins... his teams didn't help in much in his career, but he just allows goals at the worst time possible.

That goal was probably the one he was least at fault on. I thought goals 3 and 4 were worse. That initial shot was tipped and there's a good chance he would have absorbed that shot if it weren't.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That goal was probably the one he was least at fault on. I thought goals 3 and 4 were worse. That initial shot was tipped and there's a good chance he would have absorbed that shot if it weren't.

Ya it was more bad luck and some questionable play in front.

Bad puck luck applies to goalies too.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Team defense coverage has been poor of late including screening, but Cory is playing like Terreri the past few weeks.
Make a lot of saves and then let in backbreaking stoppable shots st the worst times.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Stone Hands Zajac at it again. What a bum. Leave him for Vegas so they can take that unproductive bum and his albatross. 5th line center at best.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't think we've ever seen Cory play as poorly as he has as of late. Granted the D is suspect most of the time but he's got to make saves than he isn't that he usually does.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I thought that at first, but Anisimov got a pretty good piece of the initial shot from Keith. I can't really fault that due to the deflection.

If anything, Zacha looked really lame on that goal.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I wasn't able to catch any of the game. This skid is certainly frustrating, the only positive is that they are picking up a lot of points despite not winning. But you certainly don't want to have it become a losing mentality around the room. The overtime losses are reminding me of the shootout loss epic streak from the deboer era. Anyways, didn't like the second goal or the overtime winner from Schneiders standpoint.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Tough game and tough stretch for Cory. I'm confident he'll bounce back though. It's a long season. A streak of a couple one goal games with a shutout and his numbers are back where they need to be.

Say what you want, but this team has shown resiliency. We've had a very tough schedule to start the year and have had to combat some injury woes, along with our star goalie playing poorly. To be 13th in the league in points percentage given all that isn't bad.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Rarely do you see Cory as angry or rattled as he was at the end of the game last night. He is usually as even keel as any goaltender I've ever watched. I hope he doesn't start to press because I feel as though that's what instigated his near gaffe coming out to pokecheck that one in the 3rd and set him off after the OT winner with Rico screening him.

He obviously needs to be better and will no doubt look at himself, but the defense is doing him absolutely no favors. How many odd man rushes/breakaways were the Hawks getting last night? Goals 3 and 4 were screens by our own guys. He got bowled over at least twice. He obviously is frustrated with all of the events going on.

I agree with FMASC above, as usual. I think the team has shown a ton of fight in clawing back into games in the 3rd and Cory will bounce back to form, it's only a matter of time. If the defense can shore up and the team can avoid these downturns in the 2nd period, things will get better.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Tough game and tough stretch for Cory. I'm confident he'll bounce back though. It's a long season. A streak of a couple one goal games with a shutout and his numbers are back where they need to be.

Say what you want, but this team has shown resiliency. We've had a very tough schedule to start the year and have had to combat some injury woes, along with our star goalie playing poorly. To be 13th in the league in points percentage given all that isn't bad.

Exactly this :handclap:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm so impressed with Miles Wood. The guy's speed is game changing. If he develops any finishing ability he's gonna be a very good player. I feel like almost every time he was on the ice in the last 2 games he's either created a scoring opportunity or drawn a penalty. At minimum he looks to be a great 4th liner. I think he can be much much more. Lappin looks to have a similar floor too. Great 4th liner, but probably better.

We have some nice pieces coming together. It's easy to get frustrated by this crappy stretch, but I see a lot of positives. If we can grab a good dman via trade/FA we'll be a good team. There's no reason for doom and gloom.

Camille the Eel

Wood, Lapin and Fiddler may have been in territory and chances our best line last night, despite Travis' hat trick.

What grit we showed coming back in the third period. I'd take a point in any game in Chicago where we go into the third period trailing. Hell I'd take a point any time we play Chicago.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Needs more Grit!

images

Mmm Gritty

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Was it a bad turnover by Hall or a lazy effort by Rico to corral the breakout pass (on the Hawks 3rd goal)?

Looked like a careless pass, but Henrique looked slow/lackadaisical in trying to reach the puck. I would say it was Hall's fault mostly though. Hall still had a strong game imo. Multiple great scoring chances, set up PAP and others with great chances that should've been potted, and nearly got the OT winner at the end of his shift by busting his ass to get a breakaway. He didn't look like he was rusty or getting over an injury surprisingly.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Looked like a careless pass, but Henrique looked slow/lackadaisical in trying to reach the puck. I would say it was Hall's fault mostly though. Hall still had a strong game imo. Multiple great scoring chances, set up PAP and others with great chances that should've been potted, and nearly got the OT winner at the end of his shift by busting his ass to get a breakaway. He didn't look like he was rusty or getting over an injury surprisingly.

I'm having a hard time believing that people are ok with the Devils play in their half of the ice.

Goal #1: Kruger had oodles of time and space. 2 Devils were caught when the pass deflected to Kruger forcing Moore to play it like a 2 on 1. I think Cory should have saved the shot, but Kruger is able to get below the top of the circles without a Devil within 5 feet of him.

Goal #2: WTH? Anisimov comes into the zone and is never picked up. He skates right by Palmieri, into a high danger area, deflects the puck, then goes and gets his rebound and scores. Never touched. Never even marked.

Goal #3: Hall with an careless pass that drifts right into the high slot. Just an awful turnover. The Devils breakout these days seems filled with these high risk passes into the slot. Hall needed to be more careful with that pass, and the coaches need to know they're playing with fire encouraging those kids of plays.

And these are only the goals that were scored in regulation.

Hall said he thought the Devils played their type of game last night and that they ought to win a good number of games if they keep playing like that.

If that's the new Devils style, I'm not sure I like it. It's much higher risk (I know others have remarked on this), and I don't know if the Devils have the horses for it. If they keep playing like this, I'm afraid that when other teams clamp down, the Devils are going to find it tough going.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm having a hard time believing that people are ok with the Devils play in their half of the ice.

Goal #1: Kruger had oodles of time and space. 2 Devils were caught when the pass deflected to Kruger forcing Moore to play it like a 2 on 1. I think Cory should have saved the shot, but Kruger is able to get below the top of the circles without a Devil within 5 feet of him.

Goal #2: WTH? Anisimov comes into the zone and is never picked up. He skates right by Palmieri, into a high danger area, deflects the puck, then goes and gets his rebound and scores. Never touched. Never even marked.

Goal #3: Hall with an careless pass that drifts right into the high slot. Just an awful turnover. The Devils breakout these days seems filled with these high risk passes into the slot. Hall needed to be more careful with that pass, and the coaches need to know they're playing with fire encouraging those kids of plays.

And these are only the goals that were scored in regulation.

Hall said he thought the Devils played their type of game last night and that they ought to win a good number of games if they keep playing like that.

If that's the new Devils style, I'm not sure I like it. It's much higher risk (I know others have remarked on this), and I don't know if the Devils have the horses for it. If they keep playing like this, I'm afraid that when other teams clamp down, the Devils are going to find it tough going.

This is definitely the ongoing concern to me, without question. Shoring up the defensive play is priority #1 going forward.

Camille the Eel

But as somebody said, that is the price of opening things up. We're not used to it, and sure we need to improve in our end, and there's every reason to believe we will. But the youth and speed and ability to come back when we get down . . . those are all new.

Another thing is that we're also a much more entertaining team to watch. More than in years.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The defense certainly needs help. Shattenkirk would be such a great signing. And I would think Santini will be ready by next year. Our stay at home defensemen have no skating ability, Santini would change that. I believe Lovejoy has played on the left side in the past so we'd probably need him to move if we did sign Shattenkirk.

Greene-Shattenkirk
Lovejoy-Severson
Auvitu-Santini

That left side would still need serious work. Lovejoy is just straight terrible.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The play in the zone is certainly not good but it's not going to be good with this collection of defensemen (and centers, for that matter). Hall's pass is the kind of thing you'd like to see him do less of, but it's the kind of thing he's going to do in general - he's a high-risk player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad