GDT: Devils @ Blackhawks: Good Heavens, Look at the Time Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Against Florida 3 years ago. I remember that game more because Marty was pulled after allowing 3 goals and Cory came in and allowed 0 and Marty got the win, because Cory didn't allow any goals and the game winner was scored while Marty was in net. I think we were up 4-3 when Marty got yanked in the 2nd period. Marty didn't play again until the last two games of the season, which were only like a week or a week and a half later.

With Hall, I think it's MUCH better than previous years. But I'm hoping we don't have to adjust to playing a game more like last year if we have to make changes to this current defensive scheme.

And please leave Auvitu in. I don't think we need to make changes on D after this game, we need to change the way we play D more than the personnel.

Good memory. I could have swore it was against Minnesota. I remember it was a late season game and I think it was on NBC Sports.. maybe :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Also coming out to play that puck was crazy dumb. We didn't get burned.

4th goal he was screened by Rico.

Was he actually on the fourth goal?

I still don't understand why he keeps coming out to play the puck, especially in some of these situations where he's forced to make a difficult play.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm still not that worried. First game in a while we have been healthy and it showed.

Cory will be better and other teams aren't as offensively deadly as Chicago so even if the chances are being given up it won't burn as much.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We are lucky Panik just missed when Cory came out of the crease.
The goal waived off was the correct call.

Shame Camm post shot was nit an inch over. Trav made a great pass after winning a puck battle.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good memory. I could have swore it was against Minnesota. I remember it was a late season game and I think it was on NBC Sports.. maybe :laugh:
I remember Pierre calling it, so I think it was on NBCSN. It was him and Kenny Albert probably. I distinctly remember Pierre and the ''Gionta is hockey strong'' comment. It definitely wasn't Doc calling it with him though.

I also remember asking ''WTF is this game doing on NBCSN? Is it because of the playoff series a couple years ago? Why is this a nationally televised game?'':laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It wouldn't entirely surprise me if Cory had a poor season by his standards, which would be an average season by most standards. Rask just had a .915 season last year, now he's looked to have bounced back and looks back to normal this year. Rask, Cory and Lundqvist were the only goaltenders to have a .920 or better every year of this decade. Rask broke that trend last year.

But at the same time, this was Cory after 18 games in 14-15.

Cory Schneider Cumlative Season Statistics through November 15, 2014
GP DEC GA SA SV SV% SO PIM TOI
18 8-7-2 46 509 463 .910 1 0 1020:07

He has a .912 currently on this season and 0 shutouts. He's played roughly another 80 minutes or so this year than at that point that year.

So it's not like it's the worst start to a season that he's had here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory pulled a Lundy at games end trying to split his stick over the crossbar.

I don't mind seeing that from him, I even defended Lundqvist for doing that when some of our fans have trashed him over that.

Although the dumping of the net on it's side and the tantrum after the Cam Janssen goal was probably a bit over the top from him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
PAP has gone ice cold after a hot start. He's also been somewhat of a liability in our own end.

Could use a few big games from him soon.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When was the last time Cory broke ****?

I'm not sure if it was the last time, but I remember him smashing his stick over the crossbar against Ottawa in 14-15.

If I recall correctly, it was the last game he played that season. He didn't play poorly in that game at all, we just lost 2-1 or something in the shootout.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Was he actually on the fourth goal?

I still don't understand why he keeps coming out to play the puck, especially in some of these situations where he's forced to make a difficult play.

I used to think Cory forcing puckhandling was cause he wanted to adapt to the system which was tailored to Marty for two decades (particularly when he was still on the team in Cory's first year) but that shouldn't be the case anymore, they shouldn't ask Cory to do something he's not capable of doing unless he has the puck already on his stick and a ton of open ice a la that nice breakout pass on the PP last week that nearly keeled me over.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I used to think Cory forcing puckhandling was cause he wanted to adapt to the system which was tailored to Marty for two decades (particularly when he was still on the team in Cory's first year) but that shouldn't be the case anymore, they shouldn't ask Cory to do something he's not capable of doing unless he has the puck already on his stick and a ton of open ice a la that nice breakout pass on the PP last week that nearly keeled me over.

At this point, I would've figured the staff or Cory himself would've decided not to have Cory come out on some of the riskier dump-ins. I get it on the PP or when you want to catch a team off guard, but Cory does it often and a lot of times it's when a team is dumping it in with pressure.

Before the Anisimov goal, the guy who dumped it in had it going around the boards waist high and Cory went out to try to settle it down behind the net.

It's a bit foolish to have him consistently playing the puck when it seems like he can hardly pass the puck to the defender. Seems like it becomes a mad scramble more often than a clean breakout.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I remember Pierre calling it, so I think it was on NBCSN. It was him and Kenny Albert probably. I distinctly remember Pierre and the ''Gionta is hockey strong'' comment. It definitely wasn't Doc calling it with him though.

I also remember asking ''WTF is this game doing on NBCSN? Is it because of the playoff series a couple years ago? Why is this a nationally televised game?'':laugh:

Yup. It was definitely Pierre. I was baffled. So much so that it was my tagline for awhile.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another thing is once we went down 3-2, I still felt really confident we were going to tie that game up and get at least a point. That isn't something I bought with last year's team.

3 on 3 OT against that team is what it is. We had the game on Camm's stick, but didn't get lucky with the post shot. that is just how that shakes out.

I want and we need to win some games very soon by a couple of goals and in regulation. I am not sweating this lose that hard though. They looked better then they did against Detroit and the Jets.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
At this point, I would've figured the staff or Cory himself would've decided not to have Cory come out on some of the riskier dump-ins. I get it on the PP or when you want to catch a team off guard, but Cory does it often and a lot of times it's when a team is dumping it in with pressure.

Before the Anisimov goal, the guy who dumped it in had it going around the boards waist high and Cory went out to try to settle it down behind the net.

It's a bit foolish to have him consistently playing the puck when it seems like he can hardly pass the puck to the defender. Seems like it becomes a mad scramble more often than a clean breakout.

He definitely shouldn't be coming out to make suicide plays against the damn Hawks.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Another thing is once we went down 3-2, I still felt really confident we were going to tie that game up and get at least a point. That isn't something I bought with last year's team.

3 on 3 OT against that team is what it is. We had the game on Camm's stick, but didn't get lucky with the post shot. that is just how that shakes out.

I want and we need to win some games very soon by a couple of goals and in regulation. I am not sweating this lose that hard though. They looked better then they did against Detroit and the Jets.

Also had Hall on a breakaway in OT.

It seemed like the Devils knew they had to try and score first or else there's a good chance they would be scored on by one of the Hawks. I don't think they thought they could approach it like that Toronto OT.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Also had Hall on a breakaway in OT.

It seemed like the Devils knew they had to try and score first or else there's a good chance they would be scored on by one of the Hawks. I don't think they thought they could approach it like that Toronto OT.

Or even the Dallas OT where you knew they would give you a prime chance because of ****** D if you waited. That Hall breakaway was tough luck. Hawk D just got off the bench with a change. Without the change Hall would of had completely open ice.

Chances were there. Win in Nashville (tough I know) and it is all good going back home in my book.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Or even the Dallas OT where you knew they would give you a prime chance because of ****** D if you waited. That Hall breakaway was tough luck. Hawk D just got off the bench with a change. Without the change Hall would of had completely open ice.

Chances were there. Win in Nashville (tough I know) and it is all good going back home in my book.

If we can stay in the bubble through December, I'll be fine. It's really all I expected from this team.

We seem to have gotten the bulk of our grueling road trips (at least travel-wise) out of the way as well. I think we really only have Arizona, the Western Canada trip, Colorado, Minnesota, and St. Louis left.

Then we just have to hope they take advantage of the home-heavy second half of the schedule.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Interesting stat I noticed. Zajac already has 56 shots on the season. He had 111 in 74 games last year. He's on pace for 199 shots, which would be the second highest total in his career. The most he's ever had is 210, and that was during his career best 67 point season.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
This year has been a revelation for Zajac. He's looking like his '09/'10 self. He might not be a #1 center, but he's certainly playing like one.

Only watched parts of the game. Tough loss, but it was a encouraging performance. Team played well and it was an incredible even game on the road against one of the best teams in the NHL.

Now that we are healthy, if we can continue to get these type of performances out of Wood/Lappin, this team does have some nice potential even this year. Hopefully once Bennett comes back, DSP is the odd man out. Palms had two assists but still needs to be more productive in possessing the puck.

Never thought I'd say it, but Schneider is costing us games at the moment. Now that doesn't mean I think he's done or think he sucks, but it's the reality right now. I don't think any player is above getting criticized when they're struggling and right now he's one of the main problems. Now do I think this is just a slump? Yea probably, but something to keep an eye on. If Schneider was playing like the goalie we've seen the past 2/3 years or really his whole career, we'd probably have 2 or 3 more wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad