Post-Game Talk: Devils beat Jets with...a shootout WIN?! At last!

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Brunner plays like a puppy. Lots of exuberance and energy, no clear direction, and very limited awareness. I love puppies. They're nice to have around and make me feel better. I'd never rely on a puppy to do anything for me, though.

If your you need to sit one of Cammy or Havlat to play Brunner, it's not that hard of a decision, IMO.

:laugh: this is a great analogy

Cory Schneider was OUTSTANDING in this game, he made several key saves to keep NJD in it and was the sole reason they got the two points. Also, Josefson is playing the best hockey of his career right now. If he keeps this up, the points will come. I think him, Ruutu, and Gionta are forming CBGB like chemistry as a 4th line, I DO NOT want to see them get broken up at all for a while.

Larsson had a bad turnover which lead to Cory's best save of the night (on Evander Kane), but overall he played what looked like a determined game, especially from a physical standpoint. I'd like to see him get another shot.

Bad night overall for the team which looked sort of anemic against a sub par Jets squad, but a huge night for NJD's goaltender who badly needed this win and this performance to help his confidence.

AND THE SHOOTOUT STREAK IS OVER!!!! Thank you Jacob Josefson, and credit Pete DeBoer for thinking outside the box and giving him a chance.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Josefson, yes. Brunner is questionable since he's directly competing with both of those forwards.

I would love to see the following:

When healthy:

Cammy Zajac Jagr
Havlat Elias Ryder
Clowe Henrique Zubrus
Ruutu Josefson Gionta

Gionta looks good as a winger and that line actually generates chances.

If Josefson keeps playing well...

Cammy-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Elias-Havlat OR Clowe-Elias-Havlat
Clowe-Josefson-Ryder OR Henrique-Josefson-Ryder
Ruutu-Gionta-Zubrus

That is what I want to see, a solid mix of speed, skill, size, and shooting on each line.

wellonegm05*

Sooo what the heck does DeBoer do when Cammy and Havlat are ready to play? Brunner and Josefson showing they deserve to be in the lineup...

Our problem with this will continue as long as Pete and Lou are here. We are probably the last team in the league, as usual, to realize we dont need a Tootoo or Jansen type WWF wrestler in the line up anymore. We are also going to be one of the last to realize our 4th line doesnt need to be talentless and void of any offensive ability. There is no reason Cammalleri and Havlat cant play with josefson and Brunner also in the line up. But it would involve those 2 inept clowns(Lou and Pete) sitting guys like Ruutu, Gionta, maybe even Zubrus. If I had a dime for every game we scored 2 goals or less last year where one or both of Gelinas and Brunner were scratched I could have bought the team

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Sooo what the heck does DeBoer do when Cammy and Havlat are ready to play? Brunner and Josefson showing they deserve to be in the lineup...

Play Havlat 1 game... He will get injured and then we have an open roster spot again.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
If Josefson keeps playing well...

Cammy-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Elias-Havlat OR Clowe-Elias-Havlat
Clowe-Josefson-Ryder OR Henrique-Josefson-Ryder
Ruutu-Gionta-Zubrus

That is what I want to see, a solid mix of speed, skill, size, and shooting on each line.

What about Brunner? Press Box?

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I would love Clowe to be Captain. I know he gets knocked for being Slowe.

It's a shame some of these players get publically lobotomized, but the Devils have some of the leagues best personalities. Instead, they all look like they play for Team North Korea.

People knock him for being slow like they were expecting him to be fast. He's a big body power forward. He had a rough game last night but he's great along the boards, creates space, has underrated vision and throws his body around. I'm a fan

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
Our problem with this will continue as long as Pete and Lou are here. We are probably the last team in the league, as usual, to realize we dont need a Tootoo or Jansen type WWF wrestler in the line up anymore. We are also going to be one of the last to realize our 4th line doesnt need to be talentless and void of any offensive ability. There is no reason Cammalleri and Havlat cant play with josefson and Brunner also in the line up. But it would involve those 2 inept clowns(Lou and Pete) sitting guys like Ruutu, Gionta, maybe even Zubrus. If I had a dime for every game we scored 2 goals or less last year where one or both of Gelinas and Brunner were scratched I could have bought the team

For what its worth, as "useless" as Janssen may appear to be, he was instrumental in getting the team back on course last year with his energy, hits & ironically....some goals.

Now I'm not saying he should be up for every game the Devils have, but against certain teams, yes. Or, when they start another losing streak & lack that "umph" or attitude" we lose from time to time. So yes, he does play a role with the Devils, even moreso than Tootoo. Which, I still don't get his signing. Gomez should have gotten that contract.

Nonetheless, you are right about Pete learning to sit players who aren't producing for others to be given a chance. (Zubs, Rutuu, Sal, etc.)

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
If I had a dime for every game we scored 2 goals or less last year where one or both of Gelinas and Brunner were scratched I could have bought the team

Even if that happened every game, that's a maximum of 82 dimes. Pretty sure $8.20 ain't gonna help you. That's a ludicrous way to make your point.

-----

Brunner's speed is huge for the forecheck from time to time. I think the speed of the line up changes was the bigger difference. The ship is still listing, but a win is going in a better direction at least.

wellonegm05*

Even if that happened every game, that's a maximum of 82 dimes. Pretty sure $8.20 ain't gonna help you. That's a ludicrous way to make your point.

-----

Brunner's speed is huge for the forecheck from time to time. I think the speed of the line up changes was the bigger difference. The ship is still listing, but a win is going in a better direction at least.

Fine, I will make my point a little clearer. Under zero circumstance, should a team as offensively inept as we are, be sitting Brunner or Gelinas so that players like Bernier, Gionta, Salvador, etc can play.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Fine, I will make my point a little clearer. Under zero circumstance, should a team as offensively inept as we are, be sitting Brunner or Gelinas so that players like Bernier, Gionta, Salvador, etc can play.

Salvador and Gelinas play completely different roles, you honestly trust Gelinas on the PK over Sal? In what universe would that be a good idea? Here's my ideal defense line up as of right now:

Greene-Severson
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky

Jon Merrill can take a seat for a while.

wellonegm05*

Salvador and Gelinas play completely different roles, you honestly trust Gelinas on the PK over Sal? In what universe would that be a good idea? Here's my ideal defense line up as of right now:

Greene-Severson
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky

Jon Merrill can take a seat for a while.

Gelinas doesnt need to replace him on the PK. Greene for sure. Merrill, Severson and Larsson are all competant enough to play the PK or at least learn. One, we're acting like Sal has been an asset on the PK, he clearly hasnt. Two, we are assuming it is not possible for guys who havent played PK before(largely the fault of Pete), to ever learn how to play it. Larsson was fine last night on the PK, so was Merrill. Josefson came out of the stands and did an excellent job. I have a hard time believing our younger guys would do worse than our current guys are. Honestly, a pairing of Zedlicky and gelinas probably wouldnt do any worse than our current last in the league PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad