Post-Game Talk: Devils beat Bruins 3-2! f***ing Right Edition

Devils 3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I said this during the game, but keep in mind they are doing this without probably their best all around player....

Yup I'm utterly stunned we've been out-possessing and out-chancing teams on the 5 on 5 without our best possession player. A center that makes everyone around him better.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Smith and Severson have been our top two players in toi in both games since we’ve come back by a decent amount. Seems they have established themselves as our top pairing. Subban’s minutes have decreased a good bit from the first games and I like him much more in a lesser role.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I personally would prefer if they kept Gusev out of the lineup. He has some decent skills but I don’t think he brings much to lineup and he doesn’t fit into the fast physical style of hockey we are playing.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I personally would prefer if they kept Gusev out of the lineup. He has some decent skills but I don’t think he brings much to lineup and he doesn’t fit into the fast physical style of hockey we are playing.

Only reason I feel like we almost have to give Gusev one more chance is because I do think eventually we'll going to need one more winger to get going. Palms has always been streaky. Wood is playing great, but I don't think he can sustain this pace scoring wise. If this team wants to really take the next step this year (and I feel like that should be the goal based on how we've started) Gusev is going to have to play a role IMO scoring and finishing off of Hughes/Nico's playmaking.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Only reason I feel like we almost have to give Gusev one more chance is because I do think eventually we'll going to need one more winger to get going. Palms has always been streaky. Wood is playing great, but I don't think he can sustain this pace scoring wise. If this team wants to really take the next step this year (and I feel like that should be the goal based on how we've started) Gusev is going to have to play a role IMO scoring and finishing off of Hughes/Nico's playmaking.
Ya that would be nice, I’m just not sold that he’s good enough to consistently produce offense in our top 6 and if he’s not producing offense I don’t think he should be in the lineup because he doesn’t bring much else or fit into the style of play.

Reactions: Jets012

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Btw, f*** Marchand.

Even hockey fans of other teams on Reddit saw that bullshit cross check attempt he aimed at Hughes neck / head and took issue with it.

Vatanen was one of the devils best player tonight when you look at advanced stats which is wild considering he hasn’t played in so long and was playing a new system lol.

Let’s keep this up, hopefully Hischier comes back for our next game. And hopefully he takes the next step offensively as well.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Btw, f*** Marchand.

Even hockey fans of other teams on Reddit saw that bullshit cross check attempt he aimed at Hughes neck / head and took issue with it.

Vatanen was one of the devils best player tonight when you look at advanced stats which is wild considering he hasn’t played in so long and was playing a new system lol.

Let’s keep this up, hopefully Hischier comes back for our next game. And hopefully he takes the next step offensively as well.

Kulikov has been surprisingly great this season too. Kulikov-Vatanen could be a real good pairing

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Holy hell that’s another great win for this team which really looks like it could go places. Love the way this team plays with a beautiful blend of speed and physicality (something we’ve sorely missed over the past few seasons).

And I know many have said this but the fact that we’re doing this without our top center is remarkable. Tonight we beat arguably the best team in the league without our 1C, 3C,top-4 d-man and a top 6 winger. I know people are down on Gusev due to his sluggish start but let’s not forget this guy was our second leading point scorer last year in his first year in the NHL with a .67 PPG pace. He absolutely will play a key role on this team.

The way this lineup has performed is going to make for some tough choices when all are healthy. I definitely think Butcher deserves to stay in the lineup (crazy to me that he was ever scratched in the first place).

Also let’s hope this isn’t just a flash in the pan for Zacha and he’s finally developing into the 25/25 type player we always thought he could be because I’m loving what I’ve seen so far. His shot is so damn good. Probably the best on the team.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Unfortunately I think it's just a numbers game, and he just doesn't fit. He's not displacing Murray, Kulikov is a better fit on a line with Vatanen, and he's not as good as Smith.
I totally agree with what you’re saying and you’re probably right that he’s the odd man out when fully healthy. But to me he’s probably our second best offensive playmaker from the back end on our team so it’d be nice to have him out there. Regardless who knows how often we’ll actually have 7 healthy d-men so it’s a blessing to have such depth at the position for once instead of relying on the Dakota Mermis’es and Freddy Claessons of the world.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
But to me he’s probably our second best offensive playmaker from the back end on our team so it’d be nice to have him out there.
I dunno. I think I put Vats ahead of him and Smith on par.

Either way, it kinda sucks that there's no room for him, but... there's no room for him.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Screenshot_20210219-060633_Chrome.jpg

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Good game....Next time they need to get Marchand early because most of that game when he could he was head hunting Hughes....

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Interesting. Would Zacha still be here? Would people has as much of an issue with him?

One thing is for sure he would have gotten more development time away from the NHL.
Marty said something about that before the season started; not about Zacha, specifically, but about how the organization had probably rushed too many prospects over the past number of years, and could really stand to invest in allowing these guys some more time in the minors before throwing them to the wolves.

It's entirely possible that Zacha is the type of guy who needed something like that, but due to his status as a top-10 pick the Devils might've been eager to push "look, the future is now!" to an increasingly antsy fanbase post-2012. He's played a lot of NHL games, but it was without much development time and at 23 years old he's still technically only now coming into his physical prime. I don't want to overreact to a few good games, but it's certainly not impossible that he could come into his own, especially on a team that's got a lot of emerging depth where he doesn't have to be a top guy, and while they're having some success.

Either way, man, I'm glad people outside of our bubble are starting to take notice that the Devils are looking good, but they're not even fully appreciating yet how this club has been so competitive so far without a lot of important players. Last couple of wins have had the "the other guys were missing a big piece!" asterisk, yet outside of mentioning Nico being on the COVID list you're not hearing mention of them doing this without Murray and Zajac, too. I don't totally blame them, tough to keep up give how chaotic things were for the Devils the past few weeks, but if this keeps up for, say, another 10 games, then we're going to have to start seriously talking about the potential this club has to make noise this year.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Perfect storm of a season with the devils lineup interchangeable with hungry taxi squad players. One of the best goalies in the league and if severson has arrived then oh boy, devils will be in playoff contention before teams realize they’re legit.
who is organizing the parade? this tasks needs to be urgently taken up or we are running late. :sarcasm:

no reason to celebration, yet. with the current format, a po spot could be on the horizon without the team being and playing actually good. but the po could also be missed despite huge improvements. the sos of the teams will be vastly different. matching up against the same team in mini series, the availability of players won't be the same in this crazy times.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This team is completely different compared to the one under Hynes. Actual structure on defense, we don't give up 47 odd man rushes and backdoor plays a game, back pressure from the forwards helping out, a competent breakout that leads to good chances going the other way, controlling entries, creating chances and we're putting teams back on their heels.

Going into the third under Hynes we would have turtled right after Zachas goal, held on for dear life to get to the intermission and then shit the bed in the third to lose 5-3 with and ENG against.
if you are nostalgic, you can visit the nashville board. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad