Post-Game Talk: Devils beat Blackhawks in OT 4-3!

NJ Devils 3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm just confused as to why Jack was the guy coming off the bench late in the game before the tying goal. I don't think he played it horribly but I could think of a handful of guys I would've put out there first. Oh well, we got an awesome moment in OT out of that. And unlike last year, blowing a lead against a Western conference team doesn't really matter if we still win lol

Being at the game, he flew off the bench once the Devils cleared after they were getting caved in for a minute so I’m thinking Ruff put Jack in that spot on purpose. It’s a shame cause he almost sealed the game at the point but Seth Jones made an incredible keep at the point.

Reactions: My3Sons

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Sometimes you just have to give credit where it's due. Chicago never quit and made a terrific play. Shit happens.

I know that late game collapses have been a hallmark for this team for years, but this felt different to me.
Yes and no. It felt different because they won, which yea makes a big difference lol. We still collapsed and gave the lead away very quickly and right near the end of the game with almost no time left, especially with the help from the refs. Rooney sucks as much as Peel did.

Hughes had a mediocre game even with two goals. His line was godawful in the first. Beautiful OT goal and awesome celebration.

Special teams still needs serious work.

Bernier was good. The Mercer Tatar Johnsson line was good. Glad Johnson scored and Mercer got a point.

Hamilton is amazing.

once smith and Severson get back the d will be set.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Watched this again - Kane's 'defense' is a direct result of Hughes's slipperiness. He basically created THAT MUCH separation because of his slick skating. Had I been defending, I would have been in Highland Park.

I don't see that at all. He was trying to catch up with Graves, who cuts across and then Kane for w/e reason just sits parked at the side of the net instead of pressuring Jack. Jack didn't do anything to "lose" Kane tbh.

If this happened the other way, not a single person would be saying it was an amazing play and instead would be trashing the defense.

For the record, Jack made a nice move to get the goal but that "defense" was just a bad play period and basically a 1 on 1 with the goalie. If anything, Graves cutting across was the nice play making Kane confused but he still should've adjusted and didn't.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Again and again, they simply collapse on the PK, are too passive and not aggressive enough, sit too deep. When the players change and the strategy remains, this can't be on the players, it must be the coaching.
The pk is weird. The forwards are passive but the dmen are aggressive. Then they all panic and get picked apart.

The pp is too passive as well. Not enough movement to have the other teams PK do what happens to ours and open them up to give us better passing and shooting lanes. I also hate our set up.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Ugh tell me about it. Couldn’t bring the game up and thought “maybe it’s on MSG tonight?” cuz MSG is blacked out in CT but MSG+ isn’t. Literally yelled “f***” out loud when i realized it was on NHLN, the channel that nobody carries.
it was for free on my normal tv provider in switzerland. :naughty:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
kanes positioning wasn’t as terrible as jack made him look. 99% of players would keep going wide of the net and try to shoot short side behind the goalie, kane was in position to step up and block the shot. jack had the presence of mind to completely change directions and make them all look bad

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I’m kind of in the middle of all the takes. I think we got pucks to go in and our goaltender came up big at big moments - already you can see how a mild improvement can change the outcome. And both the team and Jack didn’t play well but he did what stars are supposed to do - produce on an off night. But Chicago is a bad team and most of our division would have made us pay a heavier price for some of those mistakes.

Whatever, it’s game one. But I’d like to see a more definitive win against a Seattle team that also looks bad to me.

I also think it’s better to accept that this team isn’t going to play smart savvy hockey under Ruff. They’re just not. If they win, it’ll be from scoring and good enough goaltending.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I’m kind of in the middle of all the takes. I think we got pucks to go in and our goaltender came up big at big moments - already you can see how a mild improvement can change the outcome. And both the team and Jack didn’t play well but he did what stars are supposed to do - produce on an off night. But Chicago is a bad team and most of our division would have made us pay a heavier price for some of those mistakes.

Whatever, it’s game one. But I’d like to see a more definitive win against a Seattle team that also looks bad to me.
Do not disagree but difficult to gain definitive wins IMO with a D that has top pair, 3rd pair, and an AHL pair.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
should have had another with that breakaway, Mango-Mercer-Tatar looked pretty good at times, only going to get better as Mercer settles in
Id move Tatar and Kuokkanen

Jack and Tatar need to be paired up, Tatar would break 50

Reactions: Devils090

czechmate88

Oct 25, 2014
If this is what Hughes does on a off night I'll take it. Graves was real solid, that top pairing and Bernier makes a world of difference for this team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes and no. It felt different because they won, which yea makes a big difference lol. We still collapsed and gave the lead away very quickly and right near the end of the game with almost no time left, especially with the help from the refs. Rooney sucks as much as Peel did.

Hughes had a mediocre game even with two goals. His line was godawful in the first. Beautiful OT goal and awesome celebration.

Special teams still needs serious work.

Bernier was good. The Mercer Tatar Johnsson line was good. Glad Johnson scored and Mercer got a point.

Hamilton is amazing.

once smith and Severson get back the d will be set.

Last year’s team probably loses last night’s game. The difference is that despite getting mediocre play from Jack’s line and a number of defenders, they did get solid play from the other forward lines and they scored three “easy” goals. The only greasy goal was Johnsson’s. Last year maybe they get one easy goal the one greasy goal and lose the game in OT or the shootout. If the team can win some games when they have meh defense and one of the top lines misfires that’s the sort of game good teams find a way to win. Until Smith and Sevs return and get up to speed it will be a work in progress.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Last year’s team probably loses last night’s game. The difference is that despite getting mediocre play from Jack’s line and a number of defenders, they did get solid play from the other forward lines and they scored three “easy” goals. The only greasy goal was Johnsson’s. Last year maybe they get one easy goal the one greasy goal and lose the game in OT or the shootout. If the team can win some games when they have meh defense and one of the top lines misfires that’s the sort of game good teams find a way to win. Until Smith and Sevs return and get up to speed it will be a work in progress.
I don't think the defense was bad at all. They gave up 1 even strength goal and only allowed 27 shots against.

I know it's easy to crap on the PK because of last year but 5 minors is just ridiculous. You're not going to beat too many teams being shorthanded for 10 minutes a game.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

I also think it’s better to accept that this team isn’t going to play smart savvy hockey under Ruff. They’re just not. If they win, it’ll be from scoring and good enough goaltending.

They need to step on Seattle’s throats. It’ll be their 5th game in 7 days when they play us and 3rd in 4. Schedule makers did Seattle no favours out of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad