Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire LHD Jonas Siegenthaler (WAS) for ARZ 3rd 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I discussed the Mirco Mueller trade and why it made no sense in length in the other thread not long ago, this however does make sense. Mirco was a two-way guy expected to put up points, Jonas is not, he's a stay at home guy who likes to use his body. Mirco did not excel at the AHL level, from what I have read Jonas did. Jonas was stuck behind and extremely stacked defense much like Mirco was in SJ the major difference being that Jonas is living up to expectations. I am thrilled with this move, I think we may have finally found got a stay at home guy that will be here for longer then one season.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This is also good for just planning ahead and what our lineup might look like in a few seasons. We currently have stop-gap LHD's in Murray and Kulikov, perhaps we keep one of them then our depth looks like Smith-Murray/Kulikov-Seigenthaler. We have Okhotiuk and Bahl coming up too that can push for spots, plus Smith can play on the right side.

And he's a good size too. For a team with mostly smurfs on the backend adding a 6'3, 211lbs player is nice.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
so, it sounds like he is already a 3rd pairing shutdown type DMan who can kill penalties

even if that is all he ever becomes, chances are we were not getting that out of a 3rd round pick....especially anytime soon.
We all know how everyone complains about Vats on the PK so this will be a welcome addition there.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
so, it sounds like he is already a 3rd pairing shutdown type DMan who can kill penalties

even if that is all he ever becomes, chances are we were not getting that out of a 3rd round pick....especially anytime soon.
Pretty much. He's an NHL defenseman who is strong defensively, strong on the PK, and the ice has been titled against the opposition with him on the ice over the last few years. Lucky if a 3rd round pick ever works out to be that, so it's worth it.

Reactions: TheDuke93

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
Big fan of this move, this isn't anything like the Mueller trade, Siegenthaler has already produced in a defensive role at the NHL level. Sure, he may never develop into anything more than he already is, especially offensively, but what he already is will definitely help the Devils and is easily worth a 3rd round pick.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Didn't know anything about him but I like what I'm reading.

The more proven defense we add to this group over the long haul, the happier I will get.

Reactions: HBK27

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't like what it implies about the Devils LHD prospects - that neither Okhotyuk and Bahl are ready to even get cups of coffee in the NHL, absent injuries - but I do think it's a good move because it's also a tacit admission that although the Devils are going to trade away at least one D before the end of the season, they are not looking to tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad