Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

Little interesting note is that we're going to have to change a decent amount of our defensive system when Schneider takes over. Most of the D-men have referred to Brodeur as a 3rd defenseman because of his stickhandling.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Still disappointed hes gone, gillis seems to like to trade my favorite players away (hodgson, schneider).

Anyway just wanted to ask how your defense is? I remember the prior year in the SCF, DeBoer seemed to implement a solid defensive system which will suit him well, but i did not see many devils games last year. Schneiders best point is his positioning so you need semi competent defense to take advantage of his strengths where he can use his positioning to make saves without having to cheat worried about other players being left alone in front of the net (happened a few times our sub par defense this season). IF the d plays decent you can expect alot of 35 shot 1 goal games from him. Think mike smith. Thats why I am glad philly did not get him, but I did not see NJ defense last season.

He will be on the radio here in about 10 minutes by the way if anyone wants to listen.

http://www.teamradio.ca/live/music-player/index.html

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Still disappointed hes gone, gillis seems to like to trade my favorite players away (hodgson, schneider).

Anyway just wanted to ask how your defense is? I remember the prior year in the SCF, DeBoer seemed to implement a solid defensive system which will suit him well, but i did not see many devils games last year. Schneiders best point is his positioning so you need semi competent defense to take advantage of his strengths where he can use his positioning to make saves without having to cheat worried about other players being left alone in front of the net (happened a few times our sub par defense this season). IF the d plays decent you can expect alot of 35 shot 1 goal games from him. Think mike smith. Thats why I am glad philly did not get him, but I did not see NJ defense last season.

He will be on the radio here in about 10 minutes by the way if anyone wants to listen.

http://www.teamradio.ca/live/music-player/index.html

The Devils have a very strong team system. They allowed the fewest shots in the NHL last year, so I wouldn't expect many 35 save efforts from Cory.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Little interesting note is that we're going to have to change a decent amount of our defensive system when Schneider takes over. Most of the D-men have referred to Brodeur as a 3rd defenseman because of his stickhandling.

Was going to happen anyway. Marty is best there ever was at that; was gonna be a dropoff, most likely significant.

Plus they have experience playing with Moose "The Grenade Handler." Schneider cannot possibly be worse than him at playing the puck.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
When does next season officially "start"? It was stated earlier in the thread that we can't begin negotiating until there's one year left on the contract. Should be Lou's #1 priority once they are allowed to.

DevilChuk*

When does next season officially "start"? It was stated earlier in the thread that we can't begin negotiating until there's one year left on the contract. Should be Lou's #1 priority once they are allowed to.

Pretty sure you can talk contract whenever you want.. just can't sign a deal until July 1, 2014 when there is one year left on his contract.

No point in talking now though. They'll talk after the season.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
In 2014-15, he will more than likely be the number one goalie.

fLh0JgU.gif

help?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Was going to happen anyway. Marty is best there ever was at that; was gonna be a dropoff, most likely significant.

Plus they have experience playing with Moose "The Grenade Handler." Schneider cannot possibly be worse than him at playing the puck.

From what I've watched of the Canucks, it's kinda similar to Hedberg, actually. I know a lot of Canucks fans that start to cringe as soon as Schneider comes out of the net. He doesn't do it NEARLY as often as Moose, though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bill Watters ‏@RealBillWatters 6h Schneider 's exit from Vancouver was precipitated by off ice issues,rather than goaltending and financial as outlined in Gillis'rationale.
Probably clogged the bowl after taking a number 2 in the team bathroom. Remember that video with him and Luongo?:laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Vancouver trying to save face now to their fans by trading the better goaltender.

I hate these fake rumors, mods?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Vancouver trying to save face now to their fans by trading the better goaltender.

I hate these fake rumors, mods?

Actually it's more that our owner is too cheap to use buyouts, and thus traded Schneider (the better and more liked goaltender) instead of buying out Luongo.

He also told Gillis to trade Edler so he could avoid buying out Ballard, but I'm assuming Gillis fought it/somehow convinced him out of it.

So it came down to an untradeable contract and a meddling, scrooge mcduck owner (despite making 80M on the 2011 cup run).

Many Canuck fans are not happy, including myself. You guys got a gem, and didn't give up too much for him.

Congrats Devils (a team I've always liked, even had a Devils jersey back in 96), and take care of Schneids. You guys will love him, and I truly believe he will win a vezina sooner than later.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Check the last thing Jesse Spector re-tweeted.

You mean this?

"Nothing like a good toss under the bus after a guy has left town. Interesting how there's never a whiff of a "problem" before a trade..."

I think the Bill Watters tweet is BS. It came down to Aquilini's greediness/cheapness imo.

There's also this

Ken Serné ‏@Hup_Holland 3m
@wyshynski @RealBillWatters Probably not. Schneider is marrying her in 3 weeks.

Sorry, don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad