Post-Game Talk: Devils 4, Penguins 3 - For Want of a Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The whole team was playing lights out. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that Ian Cole was the linchpin holding this entire team together. Losing him is a bit of downgrade of our 3rd pairing and our PK.

Also, it's worth noting that goal scoring is up across the entire league.
If you don't think the dynamics of our defense has changed profoundly and to the bad, I don't know what else to tell you. This defense is nowhere near where it was. You can attribute it to chemistry, you can attribute to missing an important component to the PK, OR to whatever you want, but the evidence is rather staggering.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's not just that it's Cole, it's that the void created there was not filled at all. And now it forces a number seven like Ruhwedel into the line up. And, has Hunwick one injury away from being back in.

and our centre depth is now:
Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan

instead of
Crosby, Malkin, Sheahan, Rowney.

Cole had to be the one to go and if we couldn’t move Sheary or Hunwick our options were limited in the quality we could bring back due to the cap.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
and poor goaltending.

You’d need to account for the quality of goaltending over the season with and without him. Quality beyond save percentage and the chance that the PK crap has messed with their confidence. Anyway, on the personnel front I’d say your factors are: goalies, Hunwick getting a few games, Rust missing time, ZAR missing time, brassard being tried, Rownhack gracing the PK with their presence, the loss of Cole vs his replacement. Maybe it’s just that they’ve had a lot go on.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you don't think the dynamics of our defense has changed profoundly and to the bad, I don't know what else to tell you. This defense is nowhere near where it was. You can attribute it to chemistry, you can attribute to missing an important component to the PK, OR to whatever you want, but the evidence is rather staggering.
It's been 12 games, and our starting goalie has only played in two of them. What evidence do you have that missing Cole is a bigger factor than missing Murray?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
and our centre depth is now:
Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan

instead of
Crosby, Malkin, Sheahan, Rowney.

Cole had to be the one to go and if we couldn’t move Sheary or Hunwick our options were limited in the quality we could bring back due to the cap.
JR the night we got Brassard said that it hurts our defensive depth to make that deal. That was the friday before the deadline. He had two and a half days to make a move for a depth defensemen. We had time to fivx this scenario. If not Cole someone else. He got bogged down trying to get Mcdonagh and dealing with the Yotes instead of just trying to secure a solid and steady bottom pairing guy.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's been 12 games, and our starting goalie has only played in two of them.
You think our goaltending is more the problem than the inordinate number of prime scoring chances we're giving up? Sure we need better goaltending but we're giving up golden opportinties and turning the puck over as if we're trying to reach a quota.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
JR the night we got Brassard said that it hurts our defensive depth to make that deal. That was the friday before the deadline. He had two and a half days to make a move for a depth defensemen. We had time to fivx this scenario. If not Cole someone else. He got bogged down trying to get Mcdonagh and dealing with the Yotes instead of just trying to secure a solid and steady bottom pairing guy.
dude this is an entirely different discussion.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You think our goaltending is more the problem than the inordinate number of prime scoring chances we're giving up? Sure we need better goaltending but we're giving up golden opportinties and turning the puck over as if we're trying to reach a quota.
we're also giving up more bad goals than we normally do.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It all ties in though, a void was created.
but right now we are discussing how much of a void it created, and how much of our current struggles are due to that void. That's a completely different discussion than what you think we should have done instead.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
but right now we are discussing how much of a void it created, and how much of our current struggles are due to that void. That's a completely different discussion than what you think we should have done instead.
I'd be happy if we had Cole, Id also be happy if we picked up someone of that ilk, we did neither of those things. And I've maintained this opinion since the deadline. So you can look at it either way.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Who? Keeping in mind the cap hit would have needed to be low (probably 1 mil max unless it was a bigger deal) and JR has publicly stated he had made 3 offers and thought the value was even more than what they were traded for.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd be happy if we had Cole, Id also be happy if we picked up someone of that ilk, we did neither of those things. And I've maintained this opinion since the deadline. So you can look at it either way.
okay. But that's not at all what was being discussed. I am talking about how much losing Cole is hurting the team. That's what we disagree about.

I'm saying I don't think losing Cole is the primary reason for our recent struggles. You are saying you think we should have traded for a different d-man to replace him. Do you really think the latter is a legitimate response to the former?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Who? Keeping in mind the cap hit would have needed to be low (probably 1 mil max unless it was a bigger deal) and JR has publicly stated he had made 3 offers and thought the value was even more than what they were traded for.
He made offers for the big fish, which was very time consuming and didn't afford him a lesser more minor acquisition.

Again, you're gonna assert that he can get a guy the caliber of Brass but couldn't get a lowly 3rd pairing defender? Come on.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
okay. But that's not at all what was being discussed. I am talking about how much losing Cole is hurting the team. That's what we disagree about.

I'm saying I don't think losing Cole is the primary reason for our recent struggles. You are saying you think we should have traded for a different d-man to replace him. Do you really think the latter is a legitimate response to the former?
I'm saying we did the worst thing in that scenario that we could do. I do think we miss Cole, I think it affected our chemistry. I think considering how he played prior to the trade it was a shock to the teams system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad