Post-Game Talk: Devils 4, Penguins 3 - For Want of a Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If nothing else I guarantee we've lost a game or two on the back of a stupid Cole penalty and pp goal against.
Maybe, but I'll bet Letang costing us a game has Cole beat in that regard by quite a lot. And if you're honest about it you'd concede that point.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Maybe, but I'll bet Letang costing us a game has Cole beat in that regard by quite a lot. And if you're honest about it you'd concede that point.

Feel free to answer this, I’ll ask again

Which column do you take?

Letang Hainsey

Dumo Dumo
Schultz Schultz
Maata Maata
Oleksiak Cole
Hunwick Daley

Ruh Ruh

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well he plays a ton more against way better competition so I'm sure he has. Put Cole in that role and he'd get smoked left and right.

Would you rather have letang or Cole on the team if you could pick?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well he plays a ton more against way better competition so I'm sure he has.

Would you rather have letang or Cole on the team if you could pick?
When you factor in cap hit, contract, what we have in regards to Shultz, the fact we won without Letang last year, Cole. I trust him more. I'm not saying he's the better player but I do think in defensive situations, the PK and closing a game out I definitely have more faith in him. He's not more talented, but I think he's the better fit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
When you factor in cap hit, contract, what we have in regards to Shultz, the fact we won without Letang last year, Cole. I trust him more. I'm not saying he's the better player but I do think in defensive situations, the PK and closing a game out I definitely have more faith in him. He's not more talented, but I think he's the better fit.
Man, that's insane to me. Our opinions are just so far off it's unreal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, you have more faith in Letang than I do I guess. With that cap space we could fetch a lot of talent.
I prefer having a number one dman even if he has warts. It would have to be Schultz I guess. Not a fan of that.

At least you don't seem to think we'd be better with Cole just straight taking letangs spot, you factor in money.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Man, that's insane to me. Our opinions are just so far off it's unreal.
I thought Hainsey and Cole were solid last year. That's all you can ask of such players. We still had Shultz and Daley who were apt at moving the puck. It's not a sexy defense, but they got the job done. And IMO we have better forwards now. I like combining that D with our current offense. There's not really a weakness there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought Hainsey and Cole were solid last year. That's all you can ask of such players. We still had Shultz and Daley who were apt at moving the puck. It's not a sexy defense, but they got the job done. And IMO we have better forwards now. I like combining that D with our current offense. There's not really a weakness there.
Yeah, I'd take our current d over last year's without a moment's hesitation. The only slight downgrade is depth. The top six is easily better.

Reactions: zero8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I prefer having a number one dman even if he has warts. It would have to be Schultz I guess. Not a fan of that.

At least you don't seem to think we'd be better with Cole just straight taking letangs spot, you factor in money.
Letangs a better player, but I simply don't trust him. I think there's ample evidence to support that opinion. And yeah the money component is a big one.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I'd take our current d over last year's without a moment's hesitation. The only slight downgrade is depth. The top six is easily better.
Yeah, no way would I do that. Letang is just not good this season. I disagree, I have no trust in him. Beyond that Oleksiak isn't proven and Dumoulin has regressed a bit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Letangs a better player, but I simply don't trust him. I think there's ample evidence to support that opinion. And yeah the money component is a big one.
I was just curious because the way you're talking it seemed like youd rather Cole over letang even if the rest of the roster was locked in to being the same regardless. But I can at least understand Cole + 5 million dollars upgraded elsewhere vs letang.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Last years, not as good in transition, but much better defensively.

walk-away-gif-16.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Letang is still way better than Ron hainsey. And I liked hainsey.
Yeah, no. I trust Hainsey far more in the D zone than Letang and on the PK. He's playing pretty good this year. I think we have enough offense here with Shultz, Maatta and Oleksiak. I'd rather give up the high octane offense of Letang and have much better and more sound fundamental players manning our blue line.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, no. I trust Hainsey far more in the D zone than Letang and on the PK. He's playing pretty good this year. I think we have enough offense here with Shultz, Maatta and Oleksiak. I'd rather give up the high octane offense of Letang and have much better and more sound fundamental players manning our blue line.
That's ludicrous.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You realize we won the cup last year with that defense, yes? I mean this years team can't do better than that. So your response is pretty ridiculous.

Like them or not they were a proven commodity, with this current group we have no idea if they can duplicate that. You must like a lot of uncertainty I guess.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
That's ludicrous.

On its face... perhaps.
I however think Letang is presently, and for significant stretches of the season, just about the costliest player in hockey.
Right now he is individually the cause of at least 1 goal and more often 2 to be scored against us - PER GAME. That’s a lot.
At the same time he is a PP abomination who cancels what should be our greatest weapon there. In the realm of conspiracies, Sure, I think Crosby has Malkin’s position on the PP not because he has forced it, but because Geno was just THAT distraught 58 was incapable of setting up his shot.

Right now... with how Letang has played since the deadline... obviously Cole would be better for us. Chiefly because he was our best PK’er this season and because he did much less harm.

So would Hainsey, for the same reasons.

Letang - goes without saying - can be immensely more valuable than either. Of course. But right now he is someone we need to overcome EVERY night.

If he is traded in the offseason I will be so, so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad