Post-Game Talk: Devils 3, Pens 0L Thanks IcedCapp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This doesn't really apply to Hornqvist, because like you say, he's a great fit here. But if Kessel can't make himself a great fit here, I think he takes up a lot of cap space for not being "the answer" at ES or on the PP.

Not a commentary on his play last game or anything, just a general observation.

Here's my issue. Kessel is PERFECT to cut from the back door and come to the high slot to support Sid when he's on the half board. He can come straight across the ice and one time a puck (wristed) from that spot. We'd have great support and options. Sid can feed down low to horny, take it to the net, feed kessel for a one timer with better support than a 90 foot pass, AND you can feed Letang with Kessel moving back out from that spot.

They just don't run that powerplay. I don't get it. Instead Kessel STANDS on the far weak side and doesn't move in. He moves to the net and back, but never in. It's a full cross ice pass no matter what so it's insanely easy to guard. It makes it a 4 on 4 with a guy standing on the weak side.

Maatta has looked like something was up the last few games I saw, if it's not medication, I wonder if it's a nagging injury and they're going to sit him for a week or two to see if it'll get better for the playoffs?

Maatta played the best couple games of his season until last night. The good thing is, he can get healthy real quick and be ready.

The PP stinks, but they just didn't have it this game. The only particularly annoying things to me were the almost total lack of quality shots, at least the ones that hit the net, and those few minutes when we were pressing towards the end. We were supposedly opening it up at the expense of odd man breaks for the Devils, but they kept getting chances while we couldn't gain the blue line. So basically we would've been better off not pressing....

It's all decision making with some movement issues. Instead of writing pucks on the net, they need the PERFECT play. Sid/Letang need to just wrist pucks when Horny has position. It's going to create havoc.

When they are passing, there are tons of quick shooting lanes, but we are trying to settle the puck down and play it perfect instead of just hammering it to the net to create problems. That split second poor decision making allows defenders to get in the lane AND the goalie to be ready.

The main issue is decision making and it's really Sid/Letang leading the way in poor fashion. The movement issue is on Kessel and that's why he's sitting.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This doesn't really apply to Hornqvist, because like you say, he's a great fit here. But if Kessel can't make himself a great fit here, I think he takes up a lot of cap space for not being "the answer" at ES or on the PP.

Not a commentary on his play last game or anything, just a general observation.

I don't disagree with that. Just not sure there is an option to move Kessel and get an upgrade. Hopefully Sprong can be that trigger man in a year or two.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Here's my issue. Kessel is PERFECT to cut from the back door and come to the high slot to support Sid when he's on the half board. He can come straight across the ice and one time a puck (wristed) from that spot. We'd have great support and options. Sid can feed down low to horny, take it to the net, feed kessel for a one timer with better support than a 90 foot pass, AND you can feed Letang with Kessel moving back out from that spot.

They just don't run that powerplay. I don't get it. Instead Kessel STANDS on the far weak side and doesn't move in. He moves to the net and back, but never in. It's a full cross ice pass no matter what so it's insanely easy to guard. It makes it a 4 on 4 with a guy standing on the weak side.

Nice idea, but it'd require Kessel being a lot better at one-timers than he's ever shown here. I really hope they find a way to make it work though.

I don't disagree with that. Just not sure there is an option to move Kessel and get an upgrade. Hopefully Sprong can be that trigger man in a year or two.

For me it's less about being an upgrade and more about being a better fit. Given Kessel's struggles to adapt so far, we ought to be keeping tabs on other scoring wingers around the league who may be on the move.

Maybe we'd be better off doing something like signing Eriksson in the off-season and trading Kessel for a great prospect/draft pick.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nice idea, but it'd require Kessel being a lot better at one-timers than he's ever shown here. I really hope they find a way to make it work though.

There are two variations of one-timers. One is a quick release snap/wrist shot. Neal was great at doing it. Kessel has a similar release time. He can snap it off as soon as the puck gets to him. He just needs to do it. No corners needed to be picked. Quickness will beat a goalie or give us a rebound for Horny/Sid to cash in on. If the puck gets poked away, Sid/Letang are back, too, for additional defense help.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There are two variations of one-timers. One is a quick release snap/wrist shot. Neal was great at doing it. Kessel has a similar release time. He can snap it off as soon as the puck gets to him. He just needs to do it. No corners needed to be picked. Quickness will beat a goalie or give us a rebound for Horny/Sid to cash in on. If the puck gets poked away, Sid/Letang are back, too, for additional defense help.

I guess we just disagree about Kessel's one-timer. Granted, I've missed a couple games recently, but everything I've seen so far suggests he has a lot of trouble getting the shot he wants quickly enough in one-time situations. Certainly nothing approaching what Neal did.

I think it's a big part of why he's had trouble adapting here. He gets fed a lot of prime one-time opportunities on that left half-wall and often either flubs them or takes too long to corral the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad