Post-Game Talk: Devils 3, Pens 0L Thanks IcedCapp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't think so. I think the concussion really affected him, and he completely lost his rhythm and hasn't been able to get it back since. Not saying he's having lingering effects, but he certainly hasn't been nearly as good since he went down.

It's weird, I'd say it went

Start of season

Post concussion

Post ASG

I'd assume that Johnston to Sullivan did something because it also fits (full Johnston, Sullivan comes in, Sullivan's influence is felt), but I don't think it's the whole reason. Probably a combination of things. Maybe Murray is freaking him out, idk.

Palmieri should have been a Pen. Pisses me off every time he scores against us.

Despres for Palmieri wouldn't have been great value, but it would have been about 20 times better than ****ing Lovejoy. Shero let the Despres mess start under him and fester, then he got Palmieri after they finished ****ing up with Despres. Still pissed.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What'd Palmieri go for? A 3rd? We should have been all over that. He's a good player.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not going to ***** too much. It happens. If anything, that's a spot in the season where the team looks at themselves and even realizes they have to go harder.

This could be a cool additional spark to the season. It's storytelling, IMO.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I don't know why people are blaming the concussion. Fleury has always been this way. Johnstons defensive system insulated him more, but he will get beat on any decent scoring chance, and will cost us goals in the playoffs.

Murray gets this game to OT tonight at very least.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I said it a few days ago, not a fan of the layoff especially with this team. More often than none they're a dumpster fire after long days off in between games. Watch they will be back to normal for the next one. I know players might like 3 days off but you get off your rhythm.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The way they played in the offensive zone in the first period made me wonder if they weren't expecting this to be a gimme game, and then they just looked shell-shocked the rest of the game. That happened under Bylsma a lot and I'm not crazy about seeing it again.

That being said, they were never going to win every game for the rest of the season, and they didn't blow a super critical one. We always lose exactly this kind of game to the Devils. I'll be really concerned if they lose another handful of games like this, but I don't expect that to happen. They had fits and spurts of looking like themselves before regressing.

Like that Sullivan made adjustments but it seemed to make the forwards play worse. The top six was a mess. The bottom six is still money though.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
Keep tiring MAF out for the pointless games. Murray should have started at least 1 of the last 3.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I don't know why people are blaming the concussion. Fleury has always been this way. Johnstons defensive system insulated him more, but he will get beat on any decent scoring chance, and will cost us goals in the playoffs.

So he would have scored at least one goal tonight?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The whining above aside...

I am wondering why Murray hasn't played in one of the last 3 games, seems pointless to call him up if you aren't going to give him at least 1 of those games.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Ye Murray snipes a goal from deking the forwards and coming up to centre ice and scoring

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I predicted it in the pre-game thread. After two great wins on the weekend, you just knew the Pens would come out and get skunked by a crappy Devils team. I just knew it.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
What an ugly game, just when they were starting to show some amount of consistency too. Also, coming out flat and falling behind early against a team that plays a trap style is always bad news.... they just turtle up even more. There is a reason NJ doesn't lose games when they score first. I'm also not convinced Malkin's return alone will remedy this PP, I think it is a whole mental and strategic problem.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It was a winnable game. Too many times good looks and shots were passed up for east/west plays that never materialized. It would also be nice if they weren't behind the 8-ball in the first 5 minutes so often too.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
glad I was in the UK and went to bed as don't have center ice... think I would have turned it off before the end :laugh:

hopefully this shot in the foot, strives them to get back to winning ways

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No matter who is playing, who is behind t he bench, or who is in the front office - watching games against New Jersey is awful.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
39 shots and 70-some attempts and I never really once felt like they had any real chance of scoring. So many chest shots I felt like the team was trying it's best to pay homage to 48 in the other jersey.

Kessel was engaged and I feel like Letang drew my eye a few times as well in the third.

The power play was just....passive. No attack. No drive. Players standing, looking around, making low percentage passes, unable to make zone entry with any kind of momentum.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Whatevs. They were due for one. They always seem to play like crap after 3-4 days off. two big games this weekend they need to focus on

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Why are we blaming Fleury? If he's gonna have a **** game, Im glad it's in a game where we can't score.

If there is one team in this league that its critical for the Penguins to score against first its the NJ Devils. Fleury's absolute stinker put them behind the 8ball. Especially so early in the period.

Should the Penguins have scored? Certainly. But everyone knows that the Devils don't score much and don't give up many goals especially when they have a lead. Been like that for decades.

Does Murray give that first one up? No one can answer that but if I had to guess I would say no. Could possibly changed the dynamic of the game. We will never know. But Murray needs to play more. Fleury has shown a chink in the armor since the All Star break. Sullivan needs to start using a better rotation with his goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad