Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Also Graves at 33 is funny. Was probably just how I grew up with the game but I always see 29-35 as goalie numbers.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Also Graves at 33 is funny. Was probably just how I grew up with the game but I always see 29-35 as goalie numbers.

I feel like 29 and 33 are the exceptions. Plenty of Devils skaters had 29 over the years - Oliwa, Chambers - and 33 was of course the legendary Reid Simpson. But I'm struggling to think of many other 33s over the years on other teams. Benoit Hogue was one, I think.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Graves' reasoning for the choice of 33 was clear

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Playing with the same two guys for a long time, and them being incredible playmakers and skaters, may allow Pavel to keep a near-15% shooting%

No chance. Maybe 12% and that’s probably pushing it

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Really like these numbers. Hopefully Dougie owns that No. 7 for the rest of time, haha.

Martin was one of my favorite Devils from that second wave of homegrown players. Wish things hadn't ended badly for him here. He's doing better now but that injury was the start of some rough times for him, if I recall.

I'm also glad no one is wearing No. 19 for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Theres something to be said about chemistry and its affects on statistics

Pavel keeping a 3% higher shooting stat next to Nico and Jesper isnt outrageous when you consider how many players in league history have been carried to high goal totals only to be left totally exposed when they lose their stud center.

Im not insinuating Zacha is being carried but instead its much easier to inflate your % if you know where the puck will be and when

Reactions: Nubmer6

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'll take the over on that.

His shooting % over the last 3 years is 13%. Playing wing with Nico and Bratt as well as increased PP time, and the shots that go with it, will help keep that % up near or even above that 3 year average.

If Bratt and Nico(and Hughes on the PP) can actually bury some shots that should raise his assist levels as well.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

With any luck playing a settled LW with his buddies with a clearly defined role he can up his shots per game from just over 2 to at least 2.5. Hopefully that’s not unreasonable. If he shoots 11-12% that puts him around 22-25 goals. That might be attainable if the three of them stay healthy and are given extended leash.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Numbers mean nothing as far as history is concerned. Players choose the number they wear based upon a million different reasons. Traditionalists like you and me have to accept it. I wore #1 and a whole bunch of #1 goalies wore it as well. After #1 #30 and #35 were the next most likely to show up on a Goalie's back..

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zach used his shot more this year than ever. It obviously had something to do with Ruff...Because the contrast from years past was night and day. Something changed here:

2021 103 shots in 50 games = 2.06
2020 97 shot in 65 games = 1.49
2019 99 shots in 61 games = 1.62
2018 112 shots in 69 games = 1.62
2017 83 shots in 70 games = 1.18

Zacha also seems to be the only player we have that can score in the dirty areas and blow a shot past the goalie. Maybe Sharagovich can do some of that? But we really haven't seen it yet...Most of his goals were shooting with some space type of goals (Snipes).

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Man I forgot that he really scored some gorgeous goals this year.

He had some phantom assists throughout the year but his goals were pretty much all good goals. Except that one off a scramble against the Flyers they were all either a nice shot, or using his quick hands, even some you saw some good transition rushes.

Winger Zacha is a pretty good player. Center Zacha needs to be abolished

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I do not disagree with you but I wonder if they may roll the dice with Rango and try and go a little longer and higher AAV to try and weaponize their cap space. Not the worst thing IMO to reward a homegrown player that put in a lot of work on his game.

In my books, it takes more then a year to warrant a long term deal.

A bridge deal is what I would do and if he can maintain his play while being consistent, I wouldn’t mind paying him what he wants after that.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Nothing we don't already know, but...

Man that depth chart is ugly. I’m glad Fitz isn’t doing anything stupid but he really needs to bring in a couple more bodies up front. Adding only one forward (Johnsson, an absolute bust so far) in 2 summers is completely unacceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad