Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I"m sure this isn't popular opinion, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if Tyce Thompson ends up slotting into the 4RW spot.
I think he has the ability to play up and down the lineup, and has at least a tiny bit of scoring punch.
Thompson will get there one day, but he needs to fill out physically and develop his game. I don’t want him anywhere near the NHL next year.

I get your line of thinking, though. My dark horse pick is Zetterlund.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Re: Jfresh’s charts. He admits the Flyers and Rangers being so high is probably a flaw in his formula. Should note it excludes all UFA’s so the Islanders are without a lot of the guys they haven’t officially signed yet. Buffalo still has Eichel as well.

There is a before (with an older formula) from pre-free agency. We went up a couple of points. I’m sure we will move up further if we add a couple of forward pieces.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Thompson will get there one day, but he needs to fill out physically and develop his game. I don’t want him anywhere near the NHL next year.

Well if the Devils are not going to acquire a veteran winger perhaps Zetterlund and Thompson should compete for 3rd line RW. Both were born in 1999 (Thompson-July) (Zetterlund-August) and will be 22 when the season starts. Perhaps they could be paired with Mercer and Kuokkanen to form a forechecking third line.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Re: Jfresh’s charts. He admits the Flyers and Rangers being so high is probably a flaw in his formula. Should note it excludes all UFA’s so the Islanders are without a lot of the guys they haven’t officially signed yet. Buffalo still has Eichel as well.

There is a before (with an older formula) from pre-free agency. We went up a couple of points. I’m sure we will move up further if we add a couple of forward pieces.
The charts are great and are very useful, but they aren't a magic 8-ball and the models aren't perfect.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Thompson is 22 - he will almost certainly play some NHL games, and if he doesn't, it means he isn't an NHL prospect. Some guys make it after being buried at 22 but not many, and certainly fewer given the Devils' RW depth (though that is subject to change).

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Thompson is 22 - he will almost certainly play some NHL games, and if he doesn't, it means he isn't an NHL prospect. Some guys make it after being buried at 22 but not many, and certainly fewer given the Devils' RW depth (though that is subject to change).
It's a small sample but the seven games I saw Thompson play for us he really did nothing to stand out, but again, small sample and hopefully he adds some meat to his body as he is one skinny kid.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I can definitely see him getting games later in the year, especially if he’s playing well in Utica.

I should qualify my statement, which was in response to the idea that Thompson should start out at RW4. I don’t think that’s in anyone’s best interests.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I can definitely see him getting games later in the year, especially if he’s playing well in Utica.

I should qualify my statement, which was in response to the idea that Thompson should start out at RW4. I don’t think that’s in anyone’s best interests.
I didn't say I thought he should or shouldn't start there. I was just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he earned that position. Just a gut feeling.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
They said they are still looking for a top six winger. I'm just impatient. Need a scoring winger and a bottom six experience/size guy.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i think if the plan was to get tatar, he would be here by now. i'm thinking fitz is exploring the trade route.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
i think if the plan was to get tatar, he would be here by now. i'm thinking fitz is exploring the trade route.

If we do get Tatar, it’s because every other option explored weren’t available.

He would be the girl you pick up at 2h59am when the lights turn on and you weren’t able to get the chicks you were eyeing all night long.

Reactions: beekay414

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Not even looking at a single advanced stat, Tatar is a more accomplished winger than anyone on the roster. 149 points (57 goals) in 198 games over the last 3 seasons. And yes, he’s a soft perimeter player and hits are meaningless, but he had 63 to Miles Wood’s 38 last year lol.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not even looking at a single advanced stat, Tatar is a more accomplished winger than anyone on the roster. 149 points (57 goals) in 198 games over the last 3 seasons. And yes, he’s a soft perimeter player and hits are meaningless, but he had 63 to Miles Wood’s 38 last year lol.

It's absurd the perception of him has dropped this low. At the absolute worst he steps in and is our 4th best forward. Somebody trade for Tarasenko already so we'll sign him.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I get what you're saying, but we have a number of guys around that age range that'll be battling for a spot this year. Even if we make another forward signing or two we'll likely have a battle for bottom 6 winger going on with our prospects. Thompson's among them but you also have Zetterlund, Talvite, Studenic, Clarke, etc. If one of those guys doesn't make it I think it's more of a signal that one of them just stood out more at the time, and less of an indictment on their potential as an NHL-er.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think our MO in recent years has been to keep a little powder dry and wait to see what shakes loose from other teams in training camp. I wouldn't recommend that in our search for a top 9 winger, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the route we go while looking for a 3C, bench warmers, and/or possibly a 4RW.

It's possible a team has a rookie step up, rendering their current 3C or 4RW redundant. It's also possible an injury occurs that makes one of our younger depth players a trade asset. And of course, one of our own kids may step up and force us to keep them.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
5i49ec.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->